Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Popular Science slams iMac in favor of Sony

Popular Science slams iMac in favor of Sony
MSG_Mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2002, 07:15 PM

Popular Science has an article that put a Sony Vaio up against a high-end iMac. The writer is obviously biased. He calls OS X cartoonish - slams iMovie for his own inability to figure out how to edit - slams the iMac sound system and on and on. He also doesn't like the registration process.

I don't own an iMac - I've got a G4, but I am awed by the design of the iMac and want one for my wife (even if she doesn't want it!)

Man, taking over the world is an up-hill battle!

Moosecat
Apr 18, 2002, 07:23 PM

I would hardly say that the magazine "slams" the iMac -- it ends up being a 42 to 40 victory for the Sony. As a G4 iMac owner, I'm happy to cede a two-point victory to a computer that costs $1600 more.

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2002, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by MSG_Mac:
<STRONG>Popular Science has an article that put a Sony Vaio up against a high-end iMac. The writer is obviously biased. He calls OS X cartoonish - slams iMovie for his own inability to figure out how to edit - slams the iMac sound system and on and on. He also doesn't like the registration process.

I don't own an iMac - I've got a G4, but I am awed by the design of the iMac and want one for my wife (even if she doesn't want it!)

Man, taking over the world is an up-hill battle!</STRONG>
They compared a $1,800 to a $3,200 computer. Review seemed fairly balanced. If the iMac came with photoshop elements it would have come out head of the Sony machine. Only 2 points different. iMac 40 to Sony's 42. Not too bad for a lower cost machine. Add photoshop elements and a pro DVD Bridge and the iMac would have outscored the Sony and for less money.

Hopefully I will have a new iMac next year after some bills are paid.
As a man comes, so he departs.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2002, 11:42 PM

I think their comparison was pretty fair.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Apr 19, 2002, 02:01 AM

I need to chime in too. Just read the article today. Seemed pretty fair and the author ended by saying something like "the sony only beat the iMac by 2 points, and the iMac is $1600 cheaper. The bottom line is both machined did what they claim to do well."
Just my .02 cents. Not trying to start a fight.

[ 04-19-2002: Message edited by: AU_student_iceBook ]

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Apr 19, 2002, 02:02 AM

I need to chime in too. Just read the article today. Seemed pretty fair and the author ended by saying something like "the sony only beet the iMac by 2 points, and the iMac is $1600 cheaper. The bottom line is both machined did what they claim to do well."
Just my .02 cents. Not trying to start a fight.

MSG_Mac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2002, 05:19 AM

I guess I just got defensive about the comments he made about editing with iMovie and calling OS X cartoonish.

pdjr
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2002, 10:03 AM

Or perhaps you allowed a personal bias to affect your interpretation of the article... Bias goes both ways. after all.

Mike656
Apr 19, 2002, 02:59 PM

The new XP interface looks alot more cartoonish than OSX.

boardsurfer
Apr 19, 2002, 04:24 PM

On to the Vaio: two boxes, not one (the LCD monitor is a separate purchase), and a cornucopia of cables, wires, manuals, even a remote control with buttons for TV, FM, and DVD. As I work my way through the Getting Started instructions, plugging cables hither and yon,
--snip--
I think we're going to have some fun with this rig—a thought that helps get me through a 45-minute setup.
Campared to the iMac setup, this is a veritable nightmare. It sounded as though the author enjoyed the the mess of cables. . .
Initially I didnt like the "cartoonish" reference, and the bad iMovie experience, but I suppose losing by 2 points to a machine nearly double in price isnt so bad. (even if they were the same price I'd still take the iMac).

BS

[ 04-19-2002: Message edited by: boardsurfer ]

tobster
Senior User
Apr 19, 2002, 06:51 PM

It is so very true that loosing by two points in a comparison to a 3400 top of the line pc hub is not at all bad. I mean, that computer had almost every possible add on available and there was still only a 2 point difference!!!

I have to say though that I did find the article a bit biased.
"The MX has a free system expansion slot for add-on cards; the iMac doesn't."
"The heavily touted iPhoto digital imaging software, on the other hand, organizes pictures nicely but allows only simple touching-up."
"Yes, there's a privacy statement, but I don't think I should have to pony up personal info to use a product I've paid for. "

Just these three sentences do give a hint that the writer had been decided upon before writing the article. And this observation from a Windows friend of mine! There were a few references throughout the article where you can sense a biased view. I don't blame the guy though, I must admit that Sony system is desirable. It even looks good But while the guy spends time talking about the strong points of the Vaio, without degrading them in any way, he spends time pointing out the "bad" things about Apple's solutions. Not quite sitting at the same table there are we?

I do admit, I'm as biased as they come though. But I would like to believe that once in a while, when I choose to do so, I can step down from heaven and smell the roses. He should be able to do so too.

- tobs

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2002, 06:57 PM

Pop Sci also deemed the iPod "Somewhat Bulky"....
Compared to what, a credit card?

Forum Links
Forum Rules