Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > CRT iMac firmware - 4.1.9 is newest?

CRT iMac firmware - 4.1.9 is newest?
hadocon
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 06:47 PM

I finally received my ADC copy of Panther in the mail today and I am having some trouble installing it on my trusty old iMac DV 500. The installer says that I need to install the newest firmware update. I have downloaded firmware update 4.1.9 which came out in 2001 - This one is pretty old, and I am sure that I must have applied it already when installing Jaguar. Can anyone confirm that 4.1.9 is the newest? A Google search produces results that indicate that 4.1.9 is indeed the newest update. I have read some reports of losing 3rd party ram with this update and I just want to make sure that I will be applying the right patch...

Now all I am waiting for is my 15" 1.25 BTO
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 07:25 PM

ya 4.1.9 is the latest. Maybe it wasnt successfully upgraded last time? Try upgrading the firmware again? I don't know what your technical skills are, but after you hit shutdown when running the installer remember to hold down the programmer button when turning on the iMac again.

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 06:27 PM

This sux. I installed the firmware update (I guess I had not done it already...) and installed Panther (upgrade install). Now my iMac will not finish booting! I get to the grey Apple logo and nothing happens. It just hangs there. For some reason my HD is not being accessed. I put my ear up to the iMac and I can clearly hear that it is not spinning. has anyone else had problems like this?

Anyone know of a fix?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2003, 11:16 PM

hmm, if you get the gray Apple logo that means it's read the HD enough to start OS X. Otherwise you'd get the lovely question mark. Try holding down option at startup and see if it spins the disk up.

Blah64
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by BurpetheadX:
hmm, if you get the gray Apple logo that means it's read the HD enough to start OS X. Otherwise you'd get the lovely question mark. Try holding down option at startup and see if it spins the disk up.

Anyone figure this out yet??

I see something somewhat similar. ROM at 4.19, option-key startup and can see both the internal drive and Panther Install Disc. Select the internal drive (OS 9.2) and boots fine. Select Panther Install disc and the screen to select the boot drive just appears again.

Jaguar was on the drive, but crashed bad and I just reformatted the drive to prep for Panther. Now this....

BTW, 'normal' booting while holding 'C' brings up the gray circle with a slash graphic, or the flashing folder with question mark.. Seen both - weird.

I've heard of boxes that only boot in X, but not (recent) ones that only boot in 9! sheesh.

Forum Links
Forum Rules