Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Just Ripped a DVD, now what?

Just Ripped a DVD, now what?
quiklee
Senior User
Dec 14, 2005, 11:56 PM

I just ripped a DVD and have a folder full of VOB files. I want to be able to convert these to mpeg format to watch on my laptop. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2005, 12:03 AM

Change the file extension from vob to mpg.

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2005, 12:10 AM

i would tell you but im afraid that it may go to illegal use...im not saying that it would be you that would be doing it, but other people...
so i wont give exact details on doing it..
Rip a dvd to your computer
use a "strip tool" to remove copy right protection
take it to a VOB to AVI converter (id prefer a VOB to DV converter so it easily imports to final cut)
take it to final cut or compressor, convert it to mpeg.

why would i know this? because im a video editor and sometimes im required to aquire data from a DVD i previously created to use in a current project.

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2005, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by quiklee
I just ripped a DVD and have a folder full of VOB files. I want to be able to convert these to mpeg format to watch on my laptop. Can anyone help me out?
Why do you need to convert them? Both DVD Player and VLC can play VOB files directly.

In DVD Player, File -> Open VIDEO_TS Folder...
In VLC, just drag and drop the folder onto the controller.

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2005, 01:00 AM

im assuming that he wants to compress it to a smaller size...perhaps take that mpeg 2 file and convert it to ipod...who knows...but dvds usually are 8.5 gb, so its going to be a hard drive eater.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Dec 15, 2005, 02:14 PM

ok . . . i understand if you dont' want to make it public, but i can promise you that i own the dvd set . . . . I really would like to watch these shows while i work out .. .

i just learned of another problem . . i opened the VOB file in VLC and there's no audio . . . i swear . . i thought this would be easier . . .

if possible, can you send me a private message if you don't want to make it public?

Thanks!

Armas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2005, 08:58 PM

I'm trying to be helpful...but in fact you didn't say what you wanna do! You ripped a DVD now what.... ( I dunno, to DO what??)

iPod Mania is upon us... Personally stuck loading a few now....which is strange, why keep a movie in iTunes??? ( Saves space though 700MB vs 7GB )

Handbrake (FREE) is your DVD to iPod software. Decrypts, rips, re-encodes into either H.264 or MP4/AAC ( MPEG-4 is larger file size, but faster to encode, and higher resolution - like 720 x 320 Widescreen )

http://handbrake.m0k.org/

Forums are there....

I trust you, I don't see a problem paying to rent a DVD & watch later.....but I am not a lawyer, so, good luck.

ilounge.com has a few detailed tutorials.....
BUY AAPL STOCK! It will be going WAYYY UP!

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2005, 11:09 AM

"i would tell you but im afraid that it may go to illegal use...im not saying that it would be you that would be doing it, but other people...
so i wont give exact details on doing it..
Rip a dvd to your computer
use a "strip tool" to remove copy right protection
take it to a VOB to AVI converter (id prefer a VOB to DV converter so it easily imports to final cut)
take it to final cut or compressor, convert it to mpeg.

why would i know this? because im a video editor and sometimes im required to aquire data from a DVD i previously created to use in a current project."

moron.

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2005, 12:05 PM

your point in that statement TFunkadelic?
im trying to help...i give directions, but i wont give out the software, however, the software out there is ee, well to the ones im relating to.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2005, 01:45 PM

Well, first of all, the advice isn't so good. It goes through two compressions instead of one by going via DV (unnecessary) and not giving names or links to DVD decoders. (Granted, it's not that hard to search Macupdate for MacTheRipper or 0SEx. Oh s**t, will I be sued now?) Your advice also assumes the person has Compressor...

As for conversion, you could go use the previously mentioned Handbrake, or if you want more control over the settings ffmpegX.

Not out yet, but you might want to check back on 3ivx Crush, the spiritual successor to DiVA.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 07:01 AM

I second ffmpegx. That thing has converted stuff up and down the wazoo for me. It's been a life saver
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2005, 05:18 PM

To add to the confusion here...

I have a DVD that I want to watch on my iPod. Handbrake only sees the very first intro file (the file that plays before the chapters). No matter what I do, it only sees this one clip (even though it says it sees 1-11).

So I used MPEG Streamclip to RIP the DVD and fix time breaks and export. The question is, what setting should I use? The files I"m getting are anywhere between 2.5 and 7 GB. YES, I am saving it to 320 pixels wide. I am trying yet another setting to see what happens, but this is taking forever...

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 05:24 PM

Use FFmpegX, it's got a preset for iPods. Rip to a VOB, then encode.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Dec 21, 2005, 07:28 PM

I'm still getting a audio delay or video delay . . . can anyone let me know what the settings are suppose to be?

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2005, 08:53 PM

Thanks SirCastor.

I found a setting that works well though and it only needs MPEG Streamclip (although it takes a while). I don't need super audio quality, so I've lowered that to mono at 160kbs and then I export as H.624

This takes a little over 3 hours of video down to 560mb. I'm pretty happy with that and the quality of the video looks great.

I will check out FFmpegX too. I've never heard of that one.

Thanks,

Deal

Armas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2005, 06:16 PM

FF MPEG as an application is a little user hostile.... Handbrake is free, decrypts, rips, decodes VOB / MPEG2 - MPEG4/AAC or H.264 as you prefer.
Handbrake was recommended before iPod Video. It does the math to keep /16 pixels, edit scale/ crop/ zoom - Audio & Video preferences - and encoding can be done w/ FF MPEG - or XVid - whatever you prefer.

Recommended settings?

MPEG-4 on iPod is "480 x 480" or 230,400 pixels but max 900 macroblocks.
Macroblock are done as 720 x 320 = 230,400 pixels
Then divide each by 16 720/16 = 45
320 / 16 = 20
then Multiply result 4 macroblocks

20 x 45 = 900
( These are best rez on iPod, plus TV has 640 x 480 - so if you want Mac/TV/iPod best resolution on all devices?? Use the largest you can. Like:

720 x320 640 x 352 624 x 368 592 x 384 576 x 400 etc.

DVD's all use 48KHz - don't down sample - worst case 96KHz will handle stereo ( 128 should be fine )

What you decide, will be your choice, on many things.... H 264 is a max 320 x 240 - and it has better quality @ the same bitrate vs. say MPEG 4. But MPEG 4 can save in a format TV & Computer can play - and keeps all the detail & size.

Handbrake is set up.... well as most Video we pass around the net is 320 x 240 ( TV, Adult, film, etc. ) Which usually is made to "fit" on a CD-R. ( for various reasons ) If it's longer than 90 or so minutes - I suggest higher quality YMMV.

Um, good luck!

see here for more detail: This article + links to 2 others ripping DVD's, software, etc.
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...y-resolutions/

Armas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2005, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Deal
To add to the confusion here...

I have a DVD that I want to watch on my iPod. Handbrake only sees the very first intro file (the file that plays before the chapters). No matter what I do, it only sees this one clip (even though it says it sees 1-11).

So I used MPEG Streamclip to RIP the DVD and fix time breaks and export. The question is, what setting should I use? The files I"m getting are anywhere between 2.5 and 7 GB. YES, I am saving it to 320 pixels wide. I am trying yet another setting to see what happens, but this is taking forever...

Good lord! See what happens with these tools for CLI UNIX - when regular folks try?

Get away from ALL app's except Handbrake - and follow it's 4 directions!!! Read, check, rip...

Bewitched was one trouble title, ch 1 wasn't part of movie.... so we started on CH 2 - last - and that was that - bad sectors or something.... SONY will install ROOT KITS on computers - they also love breaking DVD/CD's... read Handbrake forums!

Armas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee
I'm still getting a audio delay or video delay . . . can anyone let me know what the settings are suppose to be?

delay? In what program? Use sample rate 48KHz - and make sure 29.97 or 23.97 ( for example 30 frames will slightly screw up timing if it's supposed 2 be 29.97 )

If you use Handbrake, which has iPod settings also, and is less complex..... this should be obvious.

Do NOT seperate Audio & Video, "Reset" time codes - and then "Wonder" why the timing is screwed up! Decode BOTH, and re-encode BOTH, with time code sync - in one app...one step!

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Armas
Good lord! See what happens with these tools for CLI UNIX - when regular folks try?

Get away from ALL app's except Handbrake - and follow it's 4 directions!!! Read, check, rip...
!
The problem is, Handbrake is not working with the DVD I have. It works with most DVDs I have tried but I have some from the Teaching Company and Handbrake will only rip the title sequence. If anybody can tell me a way around this, I'm all ears. I like Handbrake and would love to use it for these.

inkhead
Senior User
Dec 27, 2005, 09:03 PM

Wooah, Wooah, You skipped a very, very important step

Duplicate the movie to a DVD
Repeat with all the dvd-movies you have
Drop in the mail to my pobox

;-)

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2005, 12:55 AM

The easiest way I have found to do this is to use Mac the Ripper to import the DVD and Mpeg Stream Clip to convert it to work on an iPod.
In Mac the Ripper go to mode and choose title only extraction. Choose the title that is the movie. I believe this is usually title 1. Press go. This should create one vob. Import the vob into mpeg streamclip. Go to file - export to MPEG-4. Click the button labeled iPod. Click Make MP4. Wait.
I believe that the Apple Mpeg2 decoder is required for this to work but I already had Final Cut Studio installed when I did this, so I do not know for sure.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2005, 12:44 PM

Actually, you don't need Mac the Ripper to do this if you're going to use MPEG Streamclip. MpegStreamclip will select all the files (just select the DVD, Open the Video TS file and select one file. It then asks if you want to open all files, say yes and viola. I then select appropriate settings and it works.

You are correct about the MPEG 2 codec. You can buy that at the Apple store for $20:

http://tinyurl.com/9rfzu

I do like Mac the Ripper for making a disk image for duplication (back-up purposes, so my son can scratch it all up and we still have the movie). It works great. However, for this I think it's just an extra step (and not a speedy one).

Handbrake on the other hand must have a bug because it can't open all the files on certain DVDs. It works with most DVDs but none of these educational DVDs I have. It sees chapters 1-11 but only works with the title sequence.

Forum Links
Forum Rules