Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Iceland Rules!!

Iceland Rules!! (Page 2)
Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 5, 2003, 07:25 PM

I guess that was bad wording.

I'll have to stop using it that way.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 5, 2003, 07:31 PM

Playful, Coltish, Elvish, Frisky, Frolicsome, Gamesome, Impish, Kittenish, Larkish, Pixie, Pixieish, Pixilated, Prankful, Prankish, Pranky, Puckish, Roguish, Sportive, Waggish, Wicked.

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2003, 07:57 PM

So, you guys want to see more nature or more icelandic "talents"?

Or just anything else?

Voodoo, we need to find some new pics of stewardess(sp?). Those are getting old

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Hmph, my folks came from the west of Finland (Oulu, Vaasa and Rauma). Although I have to admit that maybe Pohjanmaa isn't the prettiest part of the country.
My grandma would have smacked you for saying "you know what" though (it's a very mild curse ).
Hmm, west. I've been in Turku(�bo) as well and the place Sibelius lived. IIRC that was somewhere in the middle of Suomi. I really liked it there. Actually I liked everything about Finland and I'm aiming at goin there sometime soon again. I have access to a cabin in Punkaharju and really want to go back there.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
I'll see you tomorrow.
You bring the beer/wine and I'll bring the ladies

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2003, 08:25 PM

I would like to see some beautiful pictures of Iceland, can always dream!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 5, 2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
Those are getting old
NEVER

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2003, 08:45 PM

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2003, 09:23 PM

You bring the beer/wine and I'll bring the ladies
I hope you like South African beer. Once in my life before I leave this northern hemisphere for warmer climes, I'm going to come to Iceland. Next year probably, since I just lost my job bla bla bla. Hope you'll be there.

In the meantime, in the interests of culture and international understanding, I thought I should post these links of nice cultured Icelandic boys and girls.

weird wabbit

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2003, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
And the pic still hasn't been posted.
Sorry Zimphire, had to re-host the pic, I've had permission from her to put it up too. Women.

PIXAR Animation Studios

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 5, 2003, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by bamburg dunes:
Sorry Zimphire, had to re-host the pic, I've had permission from her to put it up too. Women.

Pretty gal, but I was talking about the stewardess pics.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2003, 09:39 PM

Ah, cool. Mind you, she was a stewardess with Icelandair a few years ago.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2003, 09:40 PM

Say, she looks reeaally familiar, and it's driving me nuts. I know I've seen her face often, but I can't remember where. Care to drop a hint?

- H

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Hugi:
Say, she looks reeaally familiar, and it's driving me nuts. I know I've seen her face often, but I can't remember where. Care to drop a hint?

- H
We used to go out together a few years ago when she lived in the Uk, but we split up and remained good friends. She moved back home to Iceland and now lives in hafnarfjordur, I go out to see her now and again, and get up to the usual mischief when I'm over.
PIXAR Animation Studios

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2003, 09:49 PM

Oh, forgot to say, she worked for a while in Reykjavik, in that bookstore just up the road from cafe barin(spelling?), the one on the corner on the main road. She also worked in a few clothes shops, and now works in a hospital. Girl gets around. Lol
PIXAR Animation Studios

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2003, 09:55 PM

Oh, forgot to say, she worked for a while in Reykjavik, in that bookstore just up the road from cafe barin(spelling?)
Aaaaaah, yes. I'm a regular at that bookstore (M�l og menning), that's where I know her from.
Thanks, this would have kept me up all night .

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2003, 10:01 PM

Aaaaaah, yes. I'm a regular at that bookstore (M�l og menning), that's where I know her from.
Thanks, this would have kept me up all night .
Glad to be of help. I liked that bookstore, I used to go in when She was round the corner in that hairdresser's getting herself fixed up. Nice little cafe upstairs.

Must be late there, you not going out drinking tonight? Can't believe what time it is here too, 3 in the morning and eyessight failing badly. Lol
PIXAR Animation Studios

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2003, 10:28 PM

Glad to be of help. I liked that bookstore, I used to go in when She was round the corner in that hairdresser's getting herself fixed up. Nice little cafe upstairs.
Very nice indeed. I go there sometimes to listen to some book readings and jazz.

Must be late there, you not going out drinking tonight? Can't believe what time it is here too, 3 in the morning and eyessight failing badly. Lol
No drinking tonight. Working like a dog these days. But it's true, it's time for bed soon .
( Last edited by Hugi; Jul 5, 2003 at 10:56 PM. )

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2003, 06:42 AM

Mal og Menning, I go there often. You can take a 200$ artbook take it to the coffeeshop upstairs, flip through it while spilling capuccino and pieces of donut icing all over it and put it back on the shelves when you're done.
Makes no sense ?
Wait till you see the prices for donuts and coffee in that place, it must the most expensive in the western hemisphere !

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2003, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by l'ignorante:
Mal og Menning, I go there often. You can take a 200$ artbook take it to the coffeeshop upstairs, flip through it while spilling capuccino and pieces of donut icing all over it and put it back on the shelves when you're done.
Makes no sense ?
Wait till you see the prices for donuts and coffee in that place, it must the most expensive in the western hemisphere !

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2003, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by l'ignorante:
Makes no sense ?

Lol, at least the jug of water is free.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2003, 09:03 AM

So do you guys want to see more pictures from Logic's travel agency If so just tell me if you want more nature, more icelandic talent, more pics of the towns/city, more pics from pubs etc etc. Just name it and I'll dig it up

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2003, 09:33 AM

People. Women.

I was in Iceland for about three hours a couple of years ago. Icelandair offered a cheap cheap cheap trans-Atlantic flight deal, cross-financed by the tourist ministry, set up with a three-hour stop-over in Keflavik, with the FREE option of getting on a bus coach and taking a bath in the Blue Lagoon. Most insidious marketing, but very effective.

I've flown an awful lot in my life, and I have to say, Iceland is probably the most breathtaking sight from a birds'-eye view that I've ever seen.

And the blue lagoon was cool, too. The people all seemed nice and friendly, though I get the impression that under that veneer, Icelanders are all totally crazy.

Which is fine by me.

Definitely going back sometime, though.

-s*

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2003, 07:58 AM

I almost forgot one very special icelandic sport. 4x4 or in Icelandic torf�ra. This is something everyone must see. Especially the car enthusiasts. Backs up Spherics comments about our mental health

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16.

I'll find some pictures of people as well after lunch.

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 08:07 AM

More trivial maybe, but worth knowing: Iceland produced a Nobel Prize Laureate in Literature named Halldor Kiljan Laxness. Not bad on a 250.000 population...
now back to the cars: awsome !!

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2003, 09:06 AM

And now some videos
Bad rollover1, Bad rollover from another view, Not too hard, All too easy, Not quite, Brilliant, If you say jump, I say how high, and one last Rollover.

The drivers actually tend to do these spetacular rollovers just for their fans and staff

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 01:24 PM

Well, Iceland is in the top 10 "Best places to live in the world" according to the UNDP

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jul 7, 2003, 02:36 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 12, 2004 at 01:47 PM. )

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2003, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
Well, Iceland is in the top 10 "Best places to live in the world" according to the UNDP
I just heard on the news that Iceland is the second best place in the world to live according to the UNDP. But as the reporter said, while they showed the typical winter storm, that the UNDP didn't take into account weather conditions

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
I always thought Iceland was cool, btw.
Did you like the 4x4 videos and pics? I was thinking about starting a new "car" thread to end all arguments

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jul 7, 2003, 06:11 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 12, 2004 at 01:48 PM. )

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2003, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
No. I was refering to the climate.

I should have realised that!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2003, 07:57 PM

I almost forgot one very special icelandic sport. 4x4 or in Icelandic torf�ra. This is something everyone must see. Especially the car enthusiasts. Backs up Spherics comments about our mental health
I partly base my impression on a BBC documentary on that other insane pastime: driving across more or less solid glaciers in treks of 4x4s for a goddamn picknick with furniture built on the spot from goddamn blocks of ice.

-s*

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I partly base my impression on a BBC documentary on that other insane pastime: driving across more or less solid glaciers in treks of 4x4s for a goddamn picknick with furniture built on the spot from goddamn blocks of ice.

-s*
Something like this?

or something more like this?

then go to place like this

I have to go to sleep now but I'll find some pics of the dinners on top of glaciers tomorrow

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2003, 03:13 PM

And now it is clear(according to some UN organisation) that Iceland is the second most developed nation in the world!

We are on a roll

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2003, 03:40 PM

And now it is clear(according to some UN organisation) that Iceland is the second most developed nation in the world!

We are on a roll
In celebration, all rise for The Icelandic National Anthem.

You know, Logic, we could keep this thread going on for ever </insert evil laughter>

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2003, 03:49 PM

In celebration, all rise for The Icelandic National Anthem.

You know, Logic, we could keep this thread going on for ever </insert evil laughter>
Just beautiful.....

I think we should keep this thread going. We need their mone... oops! Don't tell anyone

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2003, 05:38 PM

Your landscape pictures are beautiful Logic, thank you. Do you happen to know the availability of nursing jobs?

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2003, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Your landscape pictures are beautiful Logic, thank you. Do you happen to know the availability of nursing jobs?
Registered nurse? I think it would be very easy to get a job if you are a registered nurse. My mother is an anestethic nurse(right word? the one that puts you to sleep before operations) and my father a reumatologist so I think I might be correct. If I'm not I blame it one misinformation form them

It also depends on where you want to live, here in Reykjav�k it might be somewhat tougher than out in the country. But if you want I'll check it out for you this week..

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:

-s*
Mean something like this?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2003, 06:16 AM

Logic: Yep. That was exactly it.

Now, on to the women...

-s*

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2003, 04:38 PM

Registered nurse? I think it would be very easy to get a job if you are a registered nurse. My mother is an anestethic nurse(right word? the one that puts you to sleep before operations) and my father a reumatologist so I think I might be correct. If I'm not I blame it one misinformation form them

It also depends on where you want to live, here in Reykjav�k it might be somewhat tougher than out in the country. But if you want I'll check it out for you this week..
In the US your Mom would be called a Nurse anesthetist.

Yes, I would appreciate you checking. It's my wife that is interested, she is a registered nurse. She is interested in home care, public health, QA, & research. Living in the country wouldn't be a problem. She constantly remarks about the beauty of your country!

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2003, 04:47 PM

Logic, do you happen to know someone called Snorri karlsson? He's studying medicine in Reykjavik.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2003, 05:37 PM

From the BBC(and I recommend you read the whole article):

"Europe bakes in historic highs

Italian fields have become dustbowls. Large swathes of Europe have been sweltering in exceptional summer heat - in some cases the highest for decades. From Portugal to Finland, soaring temperatures and sunshine have brought delight to tourists but headaches for farmers and industry. Swiss temperatures hit their highest for 200 years - reaching 37C (99F). Parts of glaciers were reported to be melting, lakes were reaching bath-like temperatures and some fish struggling for oxygen were being moved to cooler waters. Helicopters moved about 70 people from the Matterhorn after a rock face crumbled at 3,400 metres (11,220 feet). Cattle were being moved from from parched meadows around Zurich and Schaffhausen to Swiss mountain pastures - the first time since 1976 that farmers have been forced to do this.

In parts of southern France, farmers say there has been no rain for two months, and cattle are already being fed on their winter hay. Monday's Bastille Day celebrations in Paris were the hottest since 1945, with temperatures above 35C (95F). Switzerland has never been so hot And thirsty tourists at the Sacre Coeur basilica in Montmartre on Tuesday were paying street-sellers two euros for 25cl bottles of water. For cyclists on the Tour de France, the intense heat forced some racers to unzip their close-fitting suits to try to cool off. Melting tarmac added to the race hazards, sending Spain's Joseba Beloki crashing to serious injury.

In sweltering Germany, one newspaper warned that Berlin and the surrounding area could become a desert within decades if global warming continued. "Already parts of Brandenburg have become steppe-like," said the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.

But Italy remains the worst-hit by the heatwave and by its problems. The drought-stricken north may be only weeks away from a state of emergency, as water levels in the mighty River Po continue to drop.

Power cuts have been threatened and officials say choices will soon have to be made between using scarce water resources to irrigate crops or keep factories going. A television campaign is being launched to urge Italians to save water.

In the capital, Rome, temperatures of 36% (96F) left tourists searching out patches of shade rather than landmarks. "The heat is excruciating," said one American visitor. "As beautiful as Rome is, it makes it almost unbearable just to enjoy the sights, but I am still having a good time." Some who dared to take dips in the famous Trevi and Four Rivers' fountains were fined by police.

One Italian priest says his two churches will stay open round the clock for three days of prayers. "If Our Lord doesn't give us a hand then things are going to get really bad here," Don Angelo told the Corriere della Sera newspaper.

UK temperatures were expected to hit 31C (87F). Northern Europe has not escaped the heat. Norway's capital, Oslo, was 27C (80F) on Tuesday and even further north it was 29.8C in the Finnish town of Utti, where the usual July average is 19C. The drought has stretched far enough east to hit the Danube River.

Levels in Romanian stretches of the river have fallen so sharply that ships have been warned of the dangers of running aground. In the Danube Delta, an estimated 10% percent of the area usually covered by water has become dry land, reports said.

A series of drownings have been reported from across Europe as people were tempted into unsafe waters to cool off.

The heatwave has already sparked dramatic thunderstorms in a number of countries including Russia, where residents in the far-eastern port of Vladivostok have been placed on rationed water supplies. Parts of France were placed on "orange" level alert on Tuesday for violent storms expected to sweep in across the east. Hailstorms and winds of up to 100km/h (64mph) are expected in the severe weather.

But there are places to get away from it all. Iceland's capital, Reykjavik, was a cloudy 14C. And in Norway's Arctic Svalbard islands, temperatures were a refreshing and wet 7C.
"
The funny thing is that Icelanders have probably had the best summer in a long time! it has been a "hot" summer. IIRC June was the hottest for years(I think it was in the 40's something latest) and it is a joy walking downtown watching the people(read: women) enjoy the good weather but still get certain effects resulting from the chill breeze

Well, I'll try to post some pics tomorrow after work from downtown Reykjav�k.

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2003, 05:38 PM

Logic, do you happen to know someone called Snorri karlsson? He's studying medicine in Reykjavik.
It sounds familiar but I'm not sure. Why?

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2003, 05:55 PM

Anyway, doesn't everyone over there basically have the same DNA or something? I read this article somewhere...

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2003, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Toutgood:
Anyway, doesn't everyone over there basically have the same DNA or something? I read this article somewhere...
Nah, not the same. But we have a very similar genes. If we had the same we would all look like identical twins. There are certain physical features that "connects" us though.

Were you reading about an Icelandic company called Decode Genetics? They are conducting genetical research and use the Icelandic population as a sample. Has been very controversial but created some hightech jobs here in both bio- and computer-industry. Some say that we are to homogenous to actually be a good sample.

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2003, 06:21 PM

Yeah, that's what it was. I can understand Icelanders being quesy about being a bunch guinea pigs, especially when the lab conducting the study is some private funded business. It's been a couple of years, but I think that's what it was. Theres only a couple of hundred thousand people on Iceland right? That's like a neighborhood in Manhattan or Paris...

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2003, 06:32 PM

Yeah, that's what it was. I can understand Icelanders being quesy about being a bunch guinea pigs, especially when the lab conducting the study is some private funded business. It's been a couple of years, but I think that's what it was. Theres only a couple of hundred thousand people on Iceland right? That's like a neighborhood in Manhattan or Paris...
Or Kentucky
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2003, 06:33 PM

290 000 inhabitants.

The thing with Decode is highly controversial since they are allowed access to all our medical files. Sure they will be coded and certain security measures will be taken but there is something about it that people don't like. A number of ethical rules were bent for easier access to medical files, transfer of data, none of the advising councils(Icelandic ethics commity, Icelandic doctors commity et al) were listened to as well as a loan guaranty of huge proportions etc etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules