Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cease & desist to unrequested desktop cleanup on restart?

Cease & desist to unrequested desktop cleanup on restart?
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2010, 09:12 AM

Two out of four Macs in our home (one on Leopard, one on Snow Leopard) *insist* on rearranging all desktop icons to grid on right side of desktop whenever system is restarted (or logged out/in).
This is *despite* the fact that view prefs for desktop are set to "Arrange by: NONE"
...a *huge* PITA for those who carefully arrange icons around desktop.
Our other machines (my mbp & iMac) are *never* so presumptuous.

My reputation as tech support for the family is at risk. Can anyone explain how to give a "cease and desist" order to the systems on these wayward Macs? Many thanks!
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Chito
Senior User
Dec 20, 2010, 10:21 AM

Found this link, are you comfortable using Terminal?
Disable the Finder's 'snap to grid' icon animation - Mac OS X Hints
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

P
Dec 20, 2010, 10:57 AM

It sounds like the saving of the infamous .DS_Store file (which stores icon positions, among other things) is failing. In the Terminal, go to the desktop

cd Desktop

and try listing all files

ls -lA

Is there a .DS_Store in the list (near the top)? Has the permissions for this file been changed, or is it just corrupt? I would try deleting that file, logging out and back in and then rearrange the icons again - one last time, if this worked.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2010, 04:38 PM

Similar to this, I noticed that when dragging files from the desktop to a new folder (in icon view), the files no longer keep their relative places like they did before. They all snap to a non-existant grid. Would it be the same problem as the OP?

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I would try deleting that file, logging out and back in and then rearrange the icons again - one last time, if this worked.
Thanks, guys. When I get back home I may just start by showing hidden files (Tinkertools) and delete that.
If that fails, I'll see what damage I can do via Terminal

I'll post the results.

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2010, 06:34 PM

Worked like a charm on both machines. Thanks everybody.
Just deleted .DS Store ... and that got the Finder playing well with others.

OT: ever notice how some people (users) seem to have bad, file-corrupting karma?

Forum Links
Forum Rules