Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Starting iPhone Development

Starting iPhone Development
Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 24, 2009, 04:27 PM

i'm beginning a class on iPhone app development this week, and figured i'd use this thread to convey some thoughts on the matter. i imagine this will work out similarly to my thread on Shake a few years back.

so if you have any questions/comments/etc, please let me know.

we're using Beginning iPhone Development as our textbook. not sure if we're going to have to upgrade to the 3.0 version or not (the syllabus doesn't mention it). the course runs thru December.

ibook_steve
Aug 25, 2009, 01:13 AM

Have you checked out the Stanford classes on iTunes U? I haven't had a chance to go through all of them, but they seemed pretty good.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2009, 09:08 AM

Where are you taking the class, Demonhood? At a university, or is it through a company that offers classes a la carte?

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Aug 26, 2009, 01:47 PM

it's at a college.

and i've only briefly checked out the Stanford class podcasts. but i've downloaded them all and will be checking them out in the coming weeks.

MarsApp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2009, 12:13 AM

Stanford classes is great and you can also read the free tutorial at cocoalab.com.
I love iPhone

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Sep 18, 2009, 12:56 PM

well, turns out my programming background is too ancient and out of date for this class. so i'm going to learn it all on my own (and maybe take the class later). i've got these books, so hopefully they'll be a good start:

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 18, 2009, 02:41 PM

"Programming in Objective-C 2.0" should be great. This series has been quite helpful for me and later for my son in learning programming. As for OOP, it was sort of an epiphany for me when I finally realized that objects are just data structures (I really understand data structures quite well), but that was unfortunately too late for my grades (I got a B in that class ).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

philm
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
well, turns out my programming background is too ancient and out of date for this class. so i'm going to learn it all on my own (and maybe take the class later). i've got these books, so hopefully they'll be a good start:

Any thoughts on which of these books is the best now that you are up and running? I have a simple idea for an app for in-house use. Just a database which I would like to interrogate from different angles, and I'd like to use this to learn iPhone programming.

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Oct 13, 2009, 10:40 PM

i'll let you know in a month or so. post-processing a few weddings i've shot recently is taking up all my spare time.
but soon i'll return to OOP from the world of white balance and photoshop madness.

LWgifts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2009, 07:06 AM

A developer in our office swears by this book

It was actually released before the official SDK (so intended for jailbroken phones), but apparently is actually more useful than many released after the SDK which focus too much on Interface Builder etc.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2009, 04:54 PM

I'm busy reading the Rough Cuts version of Cocoa and Objective-C: Up and Running and it's very good. I do not have a background in programming and this book seems to be for people like me who want to learn the necessary basics and then move to Objective-C, Cocoa, and Xcode.

Forum Links
Forum Rules