Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MacMall or MacWarehouse?

MacMall or MacWarehouse?
JRobinson
Sep 3, 2003, 08:47 PM

How reliable are MacMall and MacWarehouse? Would anyone recommend AGAINST buying from either store? Which do people prefer?

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2003, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by JRobinson:
How reliable are MacMall and MacWarehouse? Would anyone recommend AGAINST buying from either store? Which do people prefer?
I hav e bought from both. Both rock, order by 10pm and you can get it overnighted the next day.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2003, 09:19 PM

I concur; both are great places and I would just order from either one that had either the lowest cost or free shipping.

If you feel like it, you can support a fellow Mac site, TheMacObserver (whom I don't work for, lol) by clicking on these links in which they get a portion of the proceeds:

MacWarehouse
and
MacMall
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by JRobinson:
I bought my tibook from macwarehouse. No problem whatsoever.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2003, 10:48 PM

I have used both, and would reccomend Macwarehouse. I ordered a 12" for a friend around 5:00 in the afternoon and had it overnighted for $33, it arrived before 10 A.M.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

DayLateDon
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2003, 11:31 PM

Hello ...

Just another data point.

This past year, three separate attempted purchases (of various equipment) our school has made through MacMall were handled so poorly (weeks of delays, lost orders, missing-in-action sales reps) that they were each cancelled. Each time, we gave MacMall the benefit of the doubt and tried to remain optimistic. At this point, however, we simply refuse to order from them any more. It's a shame, because they sometimes have really good prices.

Although I've never had a problem with them personally (I've bought equipment from them in the past), and although it might be only their educational unit that's braindead, MacMall has lost my trust, my business, and my referrals.

Regards,

DayLateDon

awcopus
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2003, 11:49 PM

Both will get your equipment to you, but I have come to prefer MacWarehouse. MacMall often will try to gouge me with perfectly insane shipping prices (the sales guys must have financial incentives to do this). Never get that kind of action at MacWarehouse.

That said, I purchased a 23" HD Cinema Display from MacMall a year ago, and it arrived with problems. They shipped another one to me that arrived the very next day at no extra charge, and picked up the defective unit. That was nice. Also, I purchased a solid-state MP3 player from them, it turned out to be something that didn't work with OS X (depite being advertised as such at their site). They took it back and refunded me promptly.

MacWarehouse has never gotten an order wrong or kept me waiting for longer than I expected to receive a product.

Good luck.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2003, 03:31 AM

My buddy ordered his iMac from MacMall, and they forgot to tell him there was a problem charging his card, and did not tell him. No biggee, but he had to call them to find out what the deal was.

My Powerbook 17 was bought from MacConnection and they pulled a similar stunt. I had ordered two day delivery and since they screwed up they took off the shipping charge.

I have bought from the Macwarehouse before and they are fine.

Bought stuff from Maczone and Clubmac too, and they were great.

If you DO spend the cash on expedited delivery, make sure you call and confirm your order the next day, just to make sure you get it when you expect it.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

JRobinson  (op)
Sep 4, 2003, 06:36 PM

This is all great information, thanks! Now I have 2 more questions:

1. Has anyone ever bought from PowerMax.Com?

2. Can anyone recommend a good KVM switch?

catzilla1228
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2003, 11:42 PM

I bought an "open box" dual 1.25 from Macmall and it arrived "open box" literally. It was fine.
Don't forget smalldog, they have good prices and you can actually talk to a person.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2003, 11:48 PM

PowerMax has also proven to be a very good reseller.

I'd recommend Dr. Bott's KVM switches...here's one for DVI switching.

And here's one for ADC Display switching (for Apple Displays) .
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules