Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Avoiding static discharge

Avoiding static discharge
digiology2
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2004, 07:16 AM

Hi I was reading up on this because I'm about to install a new HD, one artical said you can keep the computer plugged into an ac power supply and the computer will be grounded through that.
Will this make me completely risk free?
I also heard of these wrist straps that ground you, could you not tie a bit of copper around your wrist and tie the other end to a table or something?
Are these straps intended to be used on one hand which you work with and leave the other one doing nothing? I dont want to use one hand.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 6, 2004, 03:07 AM

Leaving the machine plugged in does indeed leave it grounded, but of course there is the risk of accidentally powering it up.

What I usually do is to leave it plugged in, but I have it plugged into a turned-off power strip. That leaves no power flowing to the machine, yet it remains grounded. Then, before doing anything inside the machine, I touch some metal part of the chassis (e.g. the screws on the outside, or the metal PCI covers, etc) to drain the static in my body. Then I am safe. Repeat this if you move around the room, since walking will build new static.

Antistatic armbands do work, but they're a pain in the ass, since they tether your body to an outlet (they're designed to go around your wrist and connect to something grounded, so that you drain static before you touch anything). Grounded mats and desktops are much more convenient, but overkill for occasional work.

Also, generally speaking, you can reduce (but not eliminate!) static buildup by increasing humidity in the room.

tooki

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by digiology2:
I also heard of these wrist straps that ground you, could you not tie a bit of copper around your wrist and tie the other end to a table or something?
This is a bad idea. Professional wrist straps discharge static electricity through a high-resistance conductor. At the very least, put a large resistor on the end of the copper wire.

Also, ground the wrist strap to the computer�s chassis, not a table leg.

Just moving your hand can generate an enormous amount of static electricity (according to Horowitz and Hill).

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2004, 05:36 AM

working on a cooker top is a favourite of mine since its grounded. you could also strap your arm to a radiator since tehy should also be grounded.

I always leave my equipment plugged in also (when possible)
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

Forum Links
Forum Rules