Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can putting in new memory kill Airport?

Can putting in new memory kill Airport?
mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2004, 01:52 AM

My 1 gig of Samsung memory seems to make the Airport card in my 15" AL go all flooey... intermittently die. Reboot and all is well, for 5 to 15 minutes.

iBook and FlatPanel iMac are tooting alongside, not a care in the world... granted they have regular, not AirPort Extreme cards.

Bottom line, replace the 1 gig Samsung with the original 256 Samsung, 6 hours later, nary a problem.

Anybody had similar experiences?
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

KidKit
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2004, 03:06 AM

You running 10.3? I've not had any problems with my RAM upgrade, but you might just happen to have a bad stick of RAM for your 15". panther is notoriously finicky with RAM. well, at least from your description, it seems correlative that its the RAM stick's fault...

mainemanx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2004, 09:32 PM

Replaced the 1 gig Samsung with the original 256 Samsung...

Now 24 hours later, continuous usage, still no loss of Airport.
( Last edited by mainemanx; Apr 4, 2004 at 10:03 PM. )

mainemanx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by mainemanx:
Replaced the 1 gig Samsung with the original 256 Samsung...

Now 24 hours later, continuous usage, still no loss of Airport.
DMS exchanged the 1 gig Samsung for another... no questions asked... very good service!

However, two weeks later... same result... Airport Extreme in the 15" AL with a std Airport Base Station... periodically just loses the signal... I've been having RoadRunner problems so I'm having problems isolating what's what.

Funny, I quit using my new Extreme Base Station for precisely the same behavior. next I'll go back to the 2 256's, then try the Extreme base to see what happens... time, time, could someone please lend/sell me some of their spare time?

P.S. Both Base Stations are NetGear... forget the models, but they were the cheapest...

Also... using System 10.3.3 with the latest Airport 3.4........

butter71
Forum Regular
May 7, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by mainemanx:
time, time, could someone please lend/sell me some of their spare time?
there are many others (including me) who are having problems with airport and >1G ram on a powerbook.

after some period of usage, the airport will "grey out" and will not see any basestations until you reboot. happens with airport 3.3 and 3.4.1, different airport extreme cards, different brands of basestations, different memory sticks. the only common denominator seems to be >1G ram.

once i popped out the second 1G dimm from my brand new 15", i haven't had any problems.

check out this thread at apple support:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@@.6892def2

saltines17
Senior User
May 17, 2004, 01:17 AM

I've been reading about these memory+airport problems a little, and I have two questions:

1) Has this been resolved yet?

2) Does the problem occur with 1GB RAM, or just > 1GB RAM?

Thanks

0s and 1s
Forum Regular
May 17, 2004, 03:05 AM

I posted a thread asking if people were having this problem a couple of weeks ago, but no one responded. I also have the same problem, only it started when I upgrade my PB to 768mb RAM. From reading the Apple message boards, it seems that the majority of the users dealing with the issue have >= 1GB RAM. I guess I'm just one of the "lucky" ones.

Keep me updated if you find out how to resolve this annoyance. Thanks!

Big Fat Al
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2004, 03:34 AM

Yes, I also encountered this problem after upgrading my Rev C 17" PowerBook to 1.5 GBs of RAM.

I followed the instructions about resetting the PRAM in the http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected] thread and this has helped, although not eliminated the problem.

K-Bat
May 17, 2004, 10:07 PM

This happened to my new 1.5ghz 15" as well. I did several things at once (new Powerbook, upgrading from 512mb to 1.25gb RAM, AirPort software update) so I wasn't sure what exactly caused the problem.

Anyway, I downgraded the Airport software to v3.3 by following the instructions on this page. I still experience signal loss once every 2 days or so, but this is much much better than the situation before applying this "fix."

saltines17
Senior User
May 18, 2004, 01:05 AM

This seems like a rather ridiculous problem... So does this occur with exactly 1 GB RAM, or only if there's > 1GB?

I'm getting a 15" Powerbook soon, and I'd really like to not have Airport spontaneously die on me....

rambo47
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 01:52 PM

Over at MacFixIt there has been a lot of discussion about AirPort Extreme and more than 1 GB RAM being a problem. So far no fix from Apple, and the workarounds discussed don't seem to work for everyone or for very long. From what I read it seemed the problem was only with more than 1 GB of RAM. If this is happening to you with exactly 1 GB, and it's not bad RAM, that would definitely effect my purchase plans for a 15" 1.5 GHz PowerBook.

mainemanx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2004, 01:32 PM

Hmmmm... just got back from Japan... didn't realize there were replies to my query...

I was running 1gig plus 256mb total 1.25gig when I was having the problem... but before I left on my trip I switched back to the twin 256mb total 512mb stock configuration and have had no problems since... numerous internet media cafes in Japan and Hawaii and no problem, ever, never,

Beginning to re-research the problem... will report results...

Thanks for everyone's reply

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jul 6, 2004, 12:32 AM

i belive that apple has come out with an update that fixes this issue, like "airport extreme update" or something in the software update panel.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Forum Links
Forum Rules