Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Giving anything cool this year?

Giving anything cool this year?
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 23, 2023, 09:50 AM

Excited about anything you're giving this year?

We just redid (well, still redoing) our master bath. I got a small 9-can fridge for my wife to keep some bottles of water, cosmetics, and fask masks in. My coworker said having a bathroom fridge was "pretty based" so I think that's good.

My 11 year old is getting an Ender-3 V2 3D printer. It's definitely not for me, it's for him.

The 5 year old is getting a bedazzler because I can't wait to find random jewels on all of my work clothes.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2023, 12:11 PM

Based and red lipsticked.

I’m getting my dad an NAD integrated amplifier so he can retire the mid Yammy receiver he’s got going now.

andi*pandi
Dec 23, 2023, 12:25 PM

parents: went in on a new vacuum with sibling, sent food items.
spouse: board games, a sweater, just dance (yes he asked for this!)
21yo: a shirt, sneakers, a game kickstarter, socks.
16yo: airpods, cosmetics, music, socks, guitar lessons
I bought myself dr who dvds that were on sale.

I miss buying fun toys for littles, but hope to see smiles on everyone's faces.

Thorzdad
Dec 23, 2023, 07:55 PM

While vacuuming under the xmas tree right after decorating it, my wife knocked-off an ornament (a frosted glass reindeer) and sucked it into the sweeper. Two of its legs were broken off. It was one of the first xmas ornaments we got for ourselves right after we were married. We were married in 1980. To say we were sad is an understatement.

The next day, I jumped online to sleuth whether by some miracle I could score a replacement. First, I had to deduce who made the thing. It took awhile, but I worked out the manufacturer. They still make the reindeer, but it looks like ass compared to the 1980 reindeer. I finally managed to track-down an Ebay seller who somehow had one 1980 reindeer still in the original packaging. So, I snagged it.

It’s a little thing, but it’s a meaningful thing.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2023, 11:42 PM

Skiis and a snowboard for the kids, and this boat Lego that looks pretty cool. Wife got a fancy purse she’d been eyeing.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

OreoCookie
Dec 24, 2023, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I’m getting my dad an NAD integrated amplifier so he can retire the mid Yammy receiver he’s got going now.
That's a solid present. I love my NAD 320 amp. I bought it 20ish years ago used, and it still works perfectly. I am fairly certain someone here on this forum pointed me towards NAD.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

andi*pandi
Dec 24, 2023, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
While vacuuming under the xmas tree right after decorating it, my wife knocked-off an ornament (a frosted glass reindeer) and sucked it into the sweeper. Two of its legs were broken off. It was one of the first xmas ornaments we got for ourselves right after we were married. We were married in 1980. To say we were sad is an understatement.

The next day, I jumped online to sleuth whether by some miracle I could score a replacement. First, I had to deduce who made the thing. It took awhile, but I worked out the manufacturer. They still make the reindeer, but it looks like ass compared to the 1980 reindeer. I finally managed to track-down an Ebay seller who somehow had one 1980 reindeer still in the original packaging. So, I snagged it.

It's a *thoughtful* thing. These are wonderful, because they are more effort than checking a box off an amazon wish list.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2023, 01:01 PM

This is awesome!

Now find me my favorite kitchen knife the ex accidentally left in a pizza box.

Edit: I apologize if that came off as flip. That truly is an awesome present.
( Last edited by subego; Dec 24, 2023 at 01:26 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2023, 08:11 PM

Thorz, I completely understand the need to get an exact replacement for that ornament. Like you and yours, my wife and I were married in 1980 and there aren’t a lot of physical things that connect us to that time. But we do still have some special ornaments from then, so I really get your situation.

Speaking of my wife, we’ve done some serious gift giving already (high $ stuff like a cruise and so on), but I always need to give her something to unwrap. This year it’s a little heart-shaped music box that plays one of her favorite classical tunes, Pachelbel’s Canon in D. Shhhhh! Don’t tell her!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2023, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
board games
a game kickstarter
music
dr who dvds
Details!

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 26, 2023, 08:50 AM

The 3D printer was a success!

Kid is already thinking about what he can make for his friends.

OreoCookie
Dec 26, 2023, 11:28 AM

[…] So, I snagged it.

I know why Ms. Thorzdad is married to you. That is a really loving gesture, one that not only shows your affection for her, but one that turns something negative into something positive.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2023, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The 3D printer was a success!

Kid is already thinking about what he can make for his friends.
I know you’re off Reddit, but if it wasn’t killed in the mod exodus, r/fixmyprint does what it says on the tin should that be necessary.

The first thing I see is the ambient temp affects the melty, so your HVAC kicking on and off might have an effect on your prints.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2023, 02:32 PM

I know you’re off Reddit, but if it wasn’t killed in the mod exodus, r/fixmyprint does what it says on the tin should that be necessary.

The first thing I see is the ambient temp affects the melty, so your HVAC kicking on and off might have an effect on your prints.
I haven't banned myself from it, I just deleted the apps from my phone to end the mindless scrolling addiction. /r/PLC and the 3D printing subs are handy when I need them. Based on everything I saw on the 3D printing subs I was prepared for a nightmare trying to get the printer to work properly, but the Benchy was my first print and it's near perfect. I paid a lot of attention to squaring everything up during assembly and spent quite a bit of time on the initial level.

This is in the basement, which gets poor HVAC circulation so the temp swings aren't very high, it's just cold all of the time.

andi*pandi
Dec 26, 2023, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
board games
a game kickstarter
music
dr who dvds
Details!
Games:
- Puns of Anarchy: The Outrageous Pun-Making Game
https://www.veryspecialgames.com/pro...uns-of-anarchy

– Scotland Yard game
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C3SFFEI...t_details&th=1

- Above and Below, Strategy Board Game
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015OWCB2S...roduct_details

https://www.backerkit.com/c/projects...k_launch_party

for me, i got on switch:
Escape Academy: The Complete Edition
which appears to be a game w co op.

Music:
Will Wood Normal Album.

Dr who: box sets were on sale on black friday so I stocked up on drs 10, 12, and 13. (already had 9 and 11). I did see this was probably because of a new special edition collection coming out, but this works for me and I won't have to depend on disney or HBO to watch it! Now the new season... I heard was pretty good.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2023, 09:03 AM

Printed a 20mm x 20mm x 20mm calibration cube. The bottom later got a little extra squish, need to figure out if that's temperature or something else.

Thorzdad
Dec 27, 2023, 09:28 AM

Our closest friends gave us an amazing Advent Calendar just before the start of the month. We play a lot of room escape tabletop games with them, and really like the Exit games from Kosmos.

This thing was a lot of fun. It was beginner level, so the clues were relatively easy to figure-out, but nonetheless a fun little 5-30-minute diversion each day. The creativity that went into designing the thing is crazy impressive.

andi*pandi
Dec 27, 2023, 12:23 PM

Interesting idea for advent calendar!

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2023, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Printed a 20mm x 20mm x 20mm calibration cube. The bottom later got a little extra squish, need to figure out if that's temperature or something else.

I’m not sure it’s the same problem, but I had something similar going on. My guess with my issue was it had to do with the bed temperature affecting the melty. I tried lowering the bed temp but started losing adhesion. Considered trying to solve it by jacking the whole print up on stilts, and then dropped it. I’m one of those people who sadly has made little use of my printer. Did make at least one thing I really needed. All the bottoms are jacked, though.

My instinct is fixmyprint would dig the caliper photo. It shows you’re serious.
( Last edited by subego; Dec 27, 2023 at 05:18 PM. )

Thorzdad
Dec 28, 2023, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Interesting idea for advent calendar!
It was a blast. I’d gladly spring for next year’s calendar.

Exit’s games are pretty cool in that you very often have to cut, tear, deface, etc. parts of the game, including the box, to solve riddles, so they’re basically a one-time play. The first time you play one, it takes effort to get past the idea that you have to destroy parts of the game. Great fun!

Forum Links
Forum Rules