Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to do these in new iBook G4

How to do these in new iBook G4
smileydub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2005, 07:17 PM

Would appreciate suggestions on how to handle these in my new iBook:

1. How to uninstall programs that were downloaded?

2. How to install downloaded programs that have a .sit format or a .bin format? (Have installed stuffit but did not seem to help in installing downloads)

3. How to defragment the drive (as I have copying and deleting lots of stuff)?

4. How to export email and addresses from Apple Mail?

5. What is a good free download application for sound recording from the microphone, playing out from a cassette recorder, and playing a CD (an app, say, similar to wave.pad, JetAudio, or Windows Media Player in the Windows world).

Thanks for any suggestions offered.

Voch
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by smileydub
1. How to uninstall programs that were downloaded?
Move the application's icon and/or entire folder from the Applications folder to the Trash. Empty the Trash. You may also be able to clean up some of the related preference files in the Preferences or Application Support folders inside the Library folder of your home directory but that's not absolutely necessary.
2. How to install downloaded programs that have a .sit format or a .bin format? (Have installed stuffit but did not seem to help in installing downloads)
Drop the .sit or .bin file onto the Stuffit Expander application.

If you end up with a .dmg file...that's a disk image file. Double-clicking it will mount it as if you inserted a CD/DVD. Use it and eject it and keep the .dmg file as "your copy" of the software.

3. How to defragment the drive (as I have copying and deleting lots of stuff)?
You don't. It's not necessary in Mac OS X as the file system defragments on-the-fly supposedly. I never do it.

The only "real" maintainence to do if you want to run the daily/weekly/monthly "cron" scripts by hand (if your iBook is asleep they don't run automatically) by running these commands in a Terminal window to do some cleanup and a "repair permissions":

Code:
sudo periodic daily weekly monthly diskutil repairPermissions
4. How to export email and addresses from Apple Mail?

5. What is a good free download application for sound recording from the microphone, playing out from a cassette recorder, and playing a CD (an app, say, similar to wave.pad, JetAudio, or Windows Media Player in the Windows world).
Not too sure about these...

Voch

Phrogman
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2005, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by smileydub
I use AudioRecorder for microphone recordings. It is a very simple (and free) program that records directly to a number of different formats. (mp3, wav etc)

AudioRecorder Link

smileydub  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2005, 05:39 PM

Thanks for your replies. Sudo and diskutil seems like chapter ten for now, and I will do that when I get the hang of the Mac system. I notice that when I shut down, it takes almost 15 minutes, with a notice that it is making more disk space for me. Is that the equivalent of the machine automatically doing a defragment whenever it shuts down?

I have to run a parallel email in my Outlook Express on my IBM laptop until I know how to export email and address from Apple Mail for backup purpose.

The AudioRecorder is quite nifty for quick voice recording thru the iBook built-in mic, but the instructions are very scanty. In the meantime, I have found the Audacity freeware which is almost equivalent to wavepad; very useful audio freeware,

Can someone suggest a freeware like a poor man's Photoshop? I found out that iPhoto has hardly any photo edit capability.

My Sony DVD burner, DRX-530UL, works with iBook without a driver, and can play DVD movies. But Sony's Sonic MyDvd software for DVD burning is only in Windows platform and they don't have the Mac equivalent. Can anyone recommend a DVD burning freeware that would enable me to use this Sony burner with the iBook?

In switching to Mac, I'm trying to use freeware wherever possible to make use of my existing devices with the iBook. Whatever help the Mac community can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

yogi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2005, 01:24 PM

re #3 and maintainenance scripts--download ONYX if you are not comfortable messing with terminal scripts. Its a nifty little freeware that runs cleaning and maintain utilities.

iPhoto 5 supposedly has increased digital manipulation capabilities, but haven"t really explored it. I use photoshop elements 3-not freeware, but very good deal at $99, IMO.

good you found audacity, thats a great little sound editor and quite powerful. a good audio recorder is WIRETAP, but since they released the pro version, i don't know if the lite version is still around. maybe you can find the freeware if you look around.

15 min to shut down seems like a really long time, but dont know why it should be so long, (mine is less than 2min) but don't usually shut down, just put it to sleep by closing the lid. mac isn't really like PC in that frequent restarts help performance. The Apple support site is quite good for help(faqs and forum), and I have found that Apple was quite helpful with "How do I...?" and "Why does...?" questions in the first ninety days, when you call them.

enjoy mac life!

Forum Links
Forum Rules