Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Amazon selling iBook 12" $900 less $100 rebate

Amazon selling iBook 12" $900 less $100 rebate
smileydub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2005, 07:13 PM

Today I just ordered online from Amazon the 12" iBook for $900, and after mail-in $100 rebate means it will cost me only $800 net, free shipping and no tax.

What I don't understand is the difference between these 2 extras shown on the Amazon iBook page:

1. Applecare Protection Plan for 3 years $250
2. Three-year Service Plan for Notebook Computer $300
( Last edited by smileydub; Dec 17, 2005 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo)

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 07:49 PM

with laptops, it's a good idea to have applecare. you have one year of applecare with the laptop, and within that first year you can purchase 2 add'l years for $209 at smalldog.com. (it's normally $250)

don't know what the second plan refers to?

it's foolish not to buy the extended applecare, but you do have that one year's time to budget for it.

Pogomwg
Dec 17, 2005, 02:11 AM

If your a student you can get a big discount on Apple care from apples website.

I just ordered the 14inch ibook and MM from amazon with their rebates and their rebate on the MM, but i bought Apple care from apple along with iwork and used my student discount. It will end up saving me a few hundred dollars

Krusty
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2005, 04:42 PM

As a tip, LA Computer Company sells applecare cheaper than anyone else I've seen. $179 for the iBook :-)

http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi...?group=appcare

Pogomwg
Dec 17, 2005, 05:40 PM

well crap ! lol

smileydub  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2005, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the $179 tip, Krusty. Any further product and price tips welcome.

Also, there are rebates if you buy other related products (e.g. Microsoft Office for Mac, Mighty Mouse, etc.) if you show proof that you also bought iBook. All these require that you submit the original UPC bar code of the iBook with the rebate form. So, how can one get rebates on more than one offer with purchase of only one iBook?

MacBernac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by amazing
with laptops, it's a good idea to have applecare. you have one year of applecare with the laptop, and within that first year you can purchase 2 add'l years for $209 at smalldog.com. (it's normally $250)

don't know what the second plan refers to?

it's foolish not to buy the extended applecare, but you do have that one year's time to budget for it.
When I bought my iBook, I waited until just before the 1 year warranty expired, then signed up for AppleCare, which at the time (and I think still is) was $209 from www.smalldog.com

However, I plan on buying an iBook G4 in the spring and hopefully MegaMacs will still have this terrific deal on AppleCare for iBook white opaque at $189:

http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php...iew&pid=129676

I figure if I'm in need of phone support after the 90-day period from Apple, I'll just spring for the AppleCare; otherwise, will wait til the year is almost up then extend for another two.

BTW AppleCare was worth it over and over again at any price. My iBook was in repair twice for logic board issues--don't know if the repair fell under the logic board replacement extension program or my AppleCare, but glad there was no problem getting prompt repair/replacement of logic board. I figure I had over a thousand bucks of work done on it over the past couple years. Don't know anything about the other warranty discussed above.

MacBernac

teqeeler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2005, 11:13 PM

ya now the price is back $999 plus a $100 rebate, damn. but you can still get the canon printer and mouse for free.

does anyone know if we can buy the amex amazon gift certificates off ebay and use it to further reduce the price of the ibook? you can buy these certificates for around $45 on ebay and there worth $150

Forum Links
Forum Rules