Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > John Dvorak: "Apple switching to Windows."

John Dvorak: "Apple switching to Windows."
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2006, 03:40 PM

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 03:42 PM

LOL indeed:

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0126'

Include file not found

/article2/0,1895,1923151,00.asp, line 377

The include file '/component/util_generate_article_discussion_info/0,1460,a=171069,00.asp' was not found.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2006, 03:50 PM

They pulled it.

Oh, my sides.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 03:56 PM

Works again.

And yep:

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 16, 2006, 03:58 PM

Doesn't work again.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 04:00 PM

Now with the cash cow iPod line, it can afford to drop expensive OS development and just make jazzy, high-margin Windows computers...
...which no one will buy. What a friggin' idiot Dvorak is.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Doesn't work again.
Yes it does, you just have to copy/paste the link as they've set it up to disallow outside referrers.

The entire article is hinged on remarks allegedly made by a "Yakov Epstein" who may or may not even exist.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2006, 04:04 PM

Yeah, I can see why Apple would swith to Windows. Its superior webpage serving abilities will make sure your important d0c-*#HHHL#

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0126'

Include file not found

/documents/0,3423,948622,00.asp, line 12

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
The entire article is hinged on remarks allegedly made by a "Yakov Epstein" who may or may not even exist.
In Soviet Russia, Windows switches you!

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 04:10 PM

This guy is a crackpot, and this is a crackpot theory.

He gives us a few facts and then turns those into a form of evidence proving a convoluted set of ideas. He forgets two key very key points in this whole article:

1. A Mac is a Mac, regardless of what piece of silicon is at the heart of it. In a more technical sense, when someone buys a Mac, they don't expect to be able to use the 250 video cards available on the market, the 500 Ethernet cards, or the 100 sound cards. That's a PC thing. People buy Macs because they want a Mac. When people want a very flexible and upgradeable platform, they buy a PC. An x86 Mac is not an IBM-compatible PC, even though they both make use of the same CPU architecture.

For this reason, limited hardware support will *not* be an issue, simply because it has never been an issue.

2. The second key point is that there is no benefit for Apple to do this. OS X is a well-known and established platform. It carries a certain air of superiority among many technologists. It has a very distinct reputation. Even ignoring that, on a technical level, OS X is still a very good platform. Sure, it's not the fastest thing when it comes to threading, or maybe even disk I/O, but it has a great deal of other awesome technologies that outweigh the few cons.

Why would Apple suddenly dump 7+ years of work, market establishment, developer loyalty, and a perfectly good platform, for something that would bring them absolutely no benefit?

I said crackpot theory, didn't I? Dvorak needs to stop wanking off in front of his Windows PC long enough to realize that ... hey, Windows is not the be-all, end-all of the world. It's there, it's not bad, it's got a lot of great apps available for it -- but there's still another thriving world on the other side of the fence.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 04:11 PM

What an idiot. I refuse to read past the first page and generate more ad impressions for such BS.

I have a much better explanation for why MS is supporting Office on the Mac for five more years....

euphras
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 04:12 PM

What a friggin´idiot. In my personal experience the switchers wave continues to grow and grow.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2006, 04:17 PM

sahnapiranha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2006, 04:17 PM

Is Apple planning an OS switch?

A professor at Rutgers University thinks Apple may be setting up to switch to the Windows OS. John Dvorak of PC Magazine writes that professor of psychology Yakov Epstein has noticed a few "coincidences" that point to Apple moving towards the Windows OS. Epstein's observations include the fact that the Apple Switch campaign is over, and "nobody switched;" the lack of FireWire connectors for new iPods as the PC world is the new "target audience;" very few consumers have switched to Macs after being more exposed to Apple products via the iPod; and the switch to the Intel-based microprocessor. Dvorak points to the fact that Apple has reacted strongly to Macintosh gossip sites, saying it is Apple's way of attempting to stem future rumors about product development.

The list of coincidences continues, with Dvorak noting an onscreen appearance by Bill Gates "during Apple's turnaround when Jobs was taking a pot of money from Microsoft," a comment by a Microsoft spokesperson at the Macworld Expo indicating that Microsoft Office would conitnue to be developed for the Mac for "five years" ("What happens after that?" asks Dvorak.)

"This switch to Windows may have originally been planned for this year and may partly explain why Adobe and other high-end apps were not ported to the Apple x86 platform when it was announced in January. At Macworld, most observers said that these new Macs could indeed run Windows now."

Dvorak says that a switch to Windows would make more financial sense for Apple, as it could allow Microsoft to do most of the work, put Apple in the mainstream to compete directly with Dell and HP, and with a little tweaking Apple could retain its GUI and perhaps even improve the OS. "Now with the cash cow iPod line, it can afford to drop expensive OS development and just make jazzy, high-margin Windows computers to finally get beyond that five-percent market share."

The main problem, according to Dvorak, would be appeasing the angry Mac lovers, whom he suspects Steve Jobs would be able to sooth with reminders that any program at all could run on a Windows-Mac, giving users the "best of both worlds."

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 04:21 PM

John Dvorak of PC Magazine writes that professor of psychology[ Yakov Epstein has noticed a few "coincidences" that point to Apple moving towards the Windows OS.
Maybe Dvorak's shrink should go back to tending to his patient.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
Maybe Dvorak's shrink should go back to tending to his patient.
http://www.inciid.org/index.php?page=epstein

Yakov Epstein, Ph.D. […] is a licensed clinical psychologist specializing in stress reduction and marital therapy. […]
Along with his wife, Helane Rosenberg, Dr. Epstein co-authored Getting Pregnant When You Thought You Couldn't
What qualifies this guy to talk about Mac issues anyway?

Dr. Epstein along with his wife Helane Rosenberg, Ph.D. are a […] team of infertility counselors, researchers, and writers. They conduct individual and group counseling sessions to help clients deal with the emotional aspects of infertility treatment.
At least we now know where the bitterness in Dvorak's writing style comes from.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 04:29 PM

Who the hell cares what a "professor of psychology" thinks? Better yet, why did this jack-off (Dvorak) think he could base a whole article on a "few coincidences" this clown "noticed".

Hey guys, if you want to write an article about Windows, you can reference me. Here's a quote:

"I noticed that Windows SUCKS A$$. Therefore, M$ is going to give up development of Windows and work on porting ALL of their software to OS X, including native speed Windows emulation under VPC. They realize there will be more money to be made in the growing Apple market share. Think about it, if those other 95% (who currently run Windows) buy a Mac running OS X, M$ could make money ALL OVER AGAIN with their software. Right now, they are only getting money from those people on upgrades, not new software purchases."

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 04:57 PM

USA -Not Associated Press:

A leading Macintosh Forums Analyst recently refuted the incredible claim that Apple Computer(APPL) would be moving to using Microsoft Windows™ Operating System. The analyst is quoted saying "Windows SUCKS...". Additionally, the analyst noted that it is extremely likely that Microsoft will be abandoning the computer market in order to write operating software for more important markets like onboard automobile and airplace markets. According the the National Department of Transportation, Microsoft is going to be blocked from developing anything for that market according to an unnamed source "their software is unreliable at best. We don't want people's cars to be crashing every other day... or worse."
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

turbopants
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 05:27 PM

I'm sure this article is getting around the 'net pretty fast. This guy has always published outlandish articles to stir up some noise for himself. I take Dvorak with a grain of salt.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
http://www.inciid.org/index.php?page=epstein

What qualifies this guy to talk about Mac issues anyway?

At least we now know where the bitterness in Dvorak's writing style comes from.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2006, 05:54 PM

in TWiT, he sounds more level headed. i certainly think that he's not an idiot...

however, he just does not "get" Apple at all. I think he's "too close" to Windows and it skews his journalism.

i did not read the article before it was pulled but i believe Apple's existence is dependent on OSX.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2006, 05:54 PM

Complete BS waste of time stupid article worthless trolling trying to get slashdotted and dugg for crapiest crap i ever seen.

The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 16, 2006, 07:28 PM

That was the dumbest article I've ever read. Goddamn that Dvorak is a moron.

(I had to go through the pcmag.com front page to read it.)

tooki

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2006, 08:41 PM

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Dvorak! You have now entered a realm where reality is of no consequence. Where a certain fat headed geek creates his own world through the magic of boundless ignorance and pure stupidity. Where normal people come and say "WTF??". Where you can laugh, cry, scream and shout. But don't try to convince Mr. Dvorak he's wrong. Because in the Wonderful World of Dvorak, the only one who's wrong is everyone else.

God I hate that fukcer.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 12:02 AM

Haven't we learned throughout the years already not to pay Mr. John Dvorak any heed? He's okay for a good laugh, but not much else really.
( Last edited by Gamoe; Feb 17, 2006 at 01:20 AM. Reason: spelling)

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 12:11 AM

Well Apple switched to Intel didn't they.. anything is possible

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 12:22 AM

John Dvorak: switching to LSD.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2006, 02:20 AM

Good to see PC Mag, Dvorak and their sponsors can always count on Mac users to link to Dvorak's Mac-bait columns in droves. When you find a sure fire tactic, stick with it.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2006, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
Haven't we learned throughout the years already not to pay Mr. John Dvorak any heed?
Obviously not!

You'd think it would eventually dawn on people that he makes a good portion of his living baiting the very people who love to hate him.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2006, 02:52 AM

I generally like Dvorak. However this is a bit ... well ... put down the beer John and write something else tomorrow.

We know it's not your theory, and we know you saw the Intel processor thing coming, but this one is a bit much.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2006, 04:38 AM

Why do people still listen to this man? Is he still ticked off that he got booted from Macworld so many years ago?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2006, 06:17 AM

John Dvorak.

Somewhere in the world a village is missing it's idiot!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2006, 07:01 AM

You know, I'd like to think that Dvorak is being his usual idiot self, but he was right the last time.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 07:03 AM

As I was reading it I was waiting for a punch line.

I found it, at the end, it read:

John Dvorak.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 09:27 AM

It makes you wonder what other unqualified sources he has.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2006, 10:14 AM

He forgot to name the most obvious "observation": The Mighty Mouse. Apple is preparing for the switch…

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
Haven't we learned throughout the years already not to pay Mr. John Dvorak any heed? He's okay for a good laugh, but not much else really.

That's exactly what I had. A good laugh. What a wack job and of course Dvorak would write something like this. The day Apple switches to windows is the day is the day the Earth will implode.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 12:42 PM

He simply doesn't understand the Mac culture.

If Apple killed OS X, Apple would kill my connection to Apple. I buy Apple hardware BECAUSE of the OS, not the hardware. I purchased my iPod because it has a fantastic Mac Hardware --> OS X --> iTunes --> iPod integration.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
You know, I'd like to think that Dvorak is being his usual idiot self, but he was right the last time.
He was correct with the Intel transition, but I think it was a logical transition and a good "guess" on his part. Apple has always been fighting an uphill battle against the x86 world. The x86 transition levels the playing field. That being said, he got a few correct in the sea of wrong predictions.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 01:22 PM

I would love to say he's wrong, but we really don't know. Obviously it's not going to happen in the next 12 months, but 5 years is a realistic timeframe IF IF IF --> Microsoft has their act together about the next generation of OS. It may be that Apple is "in the know" about that system and it may make OSX a hard sell. It may be "customizable" or whatever for Apple such that Apple designs its own interface while making use of the Microsoft engines, etc.

Because let's face it -- the vast majority of people buy hardware for speed, and OS for the interface, and neither for the "technology." If Steve had complete control over his interface, and felt the guts of the OS was => than what he could put together in 5 years, it's not hard to believe he'd do what he had to for Apple to thrive.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen
I would love to say he's wrong, but we really don't know. Obviously it's not going to happen in the next 12 months, but 5 years is a realistic timeframe IF IF IF --> Microsoft has their act together about the next generation of OS. It may be that Apple is "in the know" about that system and it may make OSX a hard sell. It may be "customizable" or whatever for Apple such that Apple designs its own interface while making use of the Microsoft engines, etc.

Because let's face it -- the vast majority of people buy hardware for speed, and OS for the interface, and neither for the "technology." If Steve had complete control over his interface, and felt the guts of the OS was => than what he could put together in 5 years, it's not hard to believe he'd do what he had to for Apple to thrive.

Apple had that option back in 1996-1997 when they were shopping around for a new OS. There was Be OS, NeXT and Windows NT... Yep, they considered NT and Microsoft was pushing hard for it. Apple knew then if it chose NT, it would lose a vast majority of the install base. I think it is still true today.

Conspiracy Theory: Tin Foil Hat Required Beyond This Point
My conspiracy theory is that Apple would eventually release a compatibility layer for Windows that would run all Apple apps at native speeds.

The "trojan horse" (A.K.A. Why would anyone install a compatibility layer") would be iTunes/Quicktime. If you wanted iTunes or Quicktime to run on your Windows Box, you would have to install the compatibility layer. And iTunes 8 (with the free** Usher download) requires it [yep, millions of instant downloads].

Code once, run anywhere.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2006, 02:36 PM

Dvorak has become a synonym for moron. It's great

Rolling Bones
Banned
Feb 17, 2006, 03:19 PM

Didn't Jobs say "Hell has frozen over" a cupla times now?

Maybe Hell will bid on the next available winter olympics.

In 2010 they're being held in Whistler/Blackcomb/Longhorn.

alphamatrix
Senior User
Feb 17, 2006, 03:55 PM

While I have much more respect for Dvorak after listening to him on TWiT and we tend to gloss over the fact that he did call the intel switch very early on. This article is still a bit of a joke.

Check out The Joy of Tech: http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech...hives/789.html

funkboy
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2006, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by alphamatrix
While I have much more respect for Dvorak after listening to him on TWiT and we tend to gloss over the fact that he did call the intel switch very early on. This article is still a bit of a joke.
My thoughts exactly. Horribly backed up... really, John, not a good piece of writing. Poor reasoning.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2006, 02:45 AM

Could Apple switch to an NT base... sure. But that'd be retarded. OS X is doing amazing and Windows isn't even staying caught up why the heck would Apple jump their own ship?

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2006, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
He forgot to name the most obvious "observation": The Mighty Mouse. Apple is preparing for the switch…

EXACTLY! When he pointed out that the Switcher ads have been discontinued, I knew his theory was correct and he must be a genius. Its such a logical conclusion.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2006, 10:41 AM

I'm even starting to see OSX start springing up in businesses, including XServes. The momentum is on the side of OSX. So WHY would we drop it at this time?

I don't get it.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 06:03 PM

Here is what I think:

Why would Apple ditch OS development when they have been years ahead of Microsoft's OS?

And what would Microsoft do without Apple? If you think their OS sucks now, imagine how much worse it would be if Apple wasn't around to offer free guidance, direction, innovation to Microsoft.

I think Dvorak is 100% wrong.

- Mark

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by sc_markt
I think Dvorak is 100% wrong.
100% of the time, I think.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules