Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Are Canada and the United States losing their Identities?

Are Canada and the United States losing their Identities? (Page 5)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Click170 View Post
I thought this had already been spelled out in fairly clear English, but in case hasn't, or in case you missed it;

I think the solution to Canada's problem is to change immigrations procedures. You should be able to at _least_ read our language when you get here, so you can find your way around. You should be aware of and attentive to our driving laws. Bring the parts of your culture with you that don't clash too harshly with our own. And I'm talking about not killing your daughter when she does something you disapprove of, I'm not talking about leaving your traditions and holidays behind because we have our own ideas of holidays.

No, I'm not shitting you. In Surrey BC, some East Indian guy killed his daughter because she did something he disapproved of (seeking sources to cite) and then tried to pass it off as "Oh well it's acceptable to do that where I'm from". This is not ok. It's also not the norm, I'd say a lot of immigrants coming to Canada understand that this is not OK, as well as why it's not OK. But it does stand out as one of the harshest real-world examples available.

So, to summarize, what do we do to fix it?
Keep allowing immigrants in to Canada, just have half-decent immigrations laws which are observed (and not ignored).

So how do we assess what parts of culture don't clash with our own, whether a person holds these beliefs fervently, will not change them, or will change them temporarily and then change them back later? What about religious fanaticism? How do we assess the devotion to these clashing ideals?

The other stuff makes sense...

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Being super rich shouldn't buy you a get in free card like SOOO many immigrants from China use. I rather have the poorest people from Africa or Afghanistan even as long as they are hard workers and willing to learn the language and adapt to our western culture over Rich people buying there way in and living in isolated communities.
I have to say I feel this is more of a perception than it is a reality. I haven't seen any investigations (journalistic or otherwise) into this matter. Can you cite sources?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Jap, a slur directed towards Japanese. It's Korean, not Koren.

Many small businesses operate cash only. Some don't want to pay credit card company those high fees. Some don't qualify, especially immigrants with little credit history. Some want to avoid the hassle of dealing with credit card fraud and chargebacks. Some want to avoid paying their fair share of taxes.
And 9 out of 10 times they hit one button on the till top open the drawer, deposit the money into the till and give me the change.... thats un accounted money. Next trip to Richmond I'll try and record it, happens so often I wont have to spend any time getting this one for u.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
So how do we assess what parts of culture don't clash with our own
Uh, I'm astonished I have to say this, but I think we can all agree that murdering someone is not allowed. At all. No exceptions. I don't care if your Sihk, Pubjab, or Pastapharian.
Would you disagree?

... whether a person holds these beliefs fervently, will not change them, or will change them temporarily and then change them back later?
Nobody said you have to change your beliefs in order to live here. I honestly couldn't give two shakes what you, or anyone else believes in. But if you try to get away with something that is criminally actionable by trying to play the "Well thats not against MY beliefs" card, you get the shaft, do not pass go do not collect 200$. Your having beliefs does not negate our laws.

What about religious fanaticism? How do we assess the devotion to these clashing ideals?
How about, anyone willing to murder anyone else for their beliefs is ruled out. Hows that sound to you?
If you believe in the Koran and wish to PEACEFULLY share it's "knowledge" and your beliefs with those around you, good for you, welcome to my country, but if you try to convert me your going to get a rude awakening. I'm very opinionated, if you haven't figured that out already, and I don't believe in the Koran or any other religion, and I'm willing to defend my position.
If you want to believe sharia law is the only law you should be held accountable to, good for you. However, if you try to pretend our laws don't apply to you because you believe in sharia law (and only sharia law), then again, do not pass go do not collect 200$.
Delineation here doesn't sound like as big of a problem as you seem to be implying.

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
That wouldn't fly so well in Quebec.
Well DUH. The primary language in Quebec is French.
If a fresh-off-the-boat Asian wants to move to Quebec, they should be expected to learn French instead of English.

Really? That's your only [shortsighted] objection to it?

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 07:44 PM

(Re: Head Tax)
Nothing wrong with it as long as its applied to every one equally. The only reason head tax on Chinese was wrong because it was only for the Chinese as a attempt to slow immigration from China.
Well, IMO there _is_ something wrong with that. It means only people with money can immigrate here, and I think that's unfair and wrong.

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 07:52 PM

5) One strike your out, commit a single crime of any kind your held, fat tracked through the legal system in a special new arm of the justice system and if convicted put on a plane home. Any appeals have to be made from country of origin. No putting them in Jail here wasting tax dollars.
Objection.
Canada, as well as every other nation, has some pretty perverted laws. See 'Marijuana prohibition'.
I'm a firm believer that being caught smoking a joint (or breaking any other equally petty law) should _not_ see you deported to your home country. Any street racing, gang violence, weapons or assault charges and "Yooooour outa here!"

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 08:01 PM

Im curious on the reasons why we should allow older immigrants to bleed our social network dry with no contributions. What possible reasons support that to be against a sur charge to pay for the future care they will need.
Because 1, a surcharge just for the privilege of moving here is unfair to potential immigrants, it discriminates based on accumulative wealth.
2, Because even if they are over 55 and aren't contributing to our social system, they are contributing culturally, and I think its disingenuous to ignore that.

They shouldn't be allowed to move here en masse, but if we expect to be a civilized, diverse country we can't block out all of those people who wouldn't directly contribute financially.
We can't reasonably expect to invite immigrants to our country indiscriminately and then get mad because a couple of them didn't contribute to the social support systems.
If we expect to have immigrants join our country, we have to have get used to a few of them having to use our support systems, within reason.

Besides, who's to say that by having their entire family here with them, that an immigrant wouldn't work harder to support them (and indirectly through taxes, the rest of us)?

I really don't think this is something to gripe about, of all of the negatives I think that's of a fairly low priority.

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 08:06 PM

I would say all of the above.
I'm sorry but your logic is wrong if you actually believe that.

If your charging a head tax based on the position that said tax is paid to offset the cost of providing social services to these people, then adjusting that tax based on economic impact, or anything unrelated to the projected cost they will exact on those very social support systems, is categorically unfair and IMO is arguably a corrupt practice.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Yep, just the use of the name "Jap" is considered pretty racist, roughly equivalent to "Paki", although in some circles "Jap" often means "Jewish American Princess".
In Canada,[7] Singapore[9] and Hong Kong,[10] the term is used freely as a contraction of the adjective "Japanese" rather than as a derogatory term. The Australian news service Asia Pulse also uses the term.[11] In 1970, the Japanese fashion designer Kenzo Takada opened the "Jungle Jap" boutique in Paris.[12] In Japan itself, most Japanese are apathetic about the term, according to a 2004 study Nikkeiview: JapJapJapJapJapJapJap

Infact it seems only a problem word in the USofA partially because of WW2

More on this
"Jap" at its simplest is just an abbreviation of "Japan" or "Japanese." It was first used by Westerners a few years after Commodore Matthew C. Perry forced Japan open to international trade at gunpoint 150 years ago. In 1860, when "Jap" was first used in America to describe the samurai and servants who were sent from Japan as part of the first U.S. diplomatic mission, the term was used merely for its brevity and convenience. There was no hatred or distrust for Japanese at the time, although the Chinese by then were already suffering all sorts of prejudice as immigrants to a mostly Caucasian country.

The Chinese were banned and Japanese immigrants were welcomed in the mid-1880s as a better-behaved, more civilized form of cheap labor. It wasn't until later that Japanese themselves bore the brunt of blunt racism during the "Yellow Peril" scare of the early 1900s, with alien land laws preventing them from owning property, and attacks by white laborers.

By the time Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, the term "Jap" carried a certain kind of venom in much of America. It's not to say that every person who uttered it, or every newspaper that put it in headlines (let's face it, "Jap" fit much better in headlines than "Japanese") was racist. But it would be na�ve to think that the word was innocent.

During the war, "Jap" was painted with the blood of brutality - unfortunately committed by the Japanese themselves - and became an easy way to vent hate and anger at both Japanese and the 120,000 Japanese Americans who were sent to internment camps.

The word hasn't been used casually since except as an abbreviation by ignorant and uneducated people on eBay, and curiously, by the Japanese themselves, most of whom have never suffered the sting of the word directly. A quick search of Japanese Web sites calls up such interesting urls as "Jap-in-the-box," "Jap-o-Lantern" and "Jap.com." And a recent survey in Japan found that most Japanese didn't care about the word either way.

So why are Japanese Americans raising such a ruckus about it, especially if, as Parcells disingenuously suggested, he meant "no disrespect?" Because decades - hell, a century - of use has meant nothing but disrespect. "Jap" is making another ruckus in Texas this year: A four-mile stretch of pavement outside of Beaumont, Texas, that's been called "Jap Road" for almost a century is under scrutiny, and critics led by a Japanese American woman and backed by civil rights groups including the Japanese American Citizens League are trying to get the name changed.
So excuse me if American Japanese still have some issues to resolve. The Japanese impress me a lot, I have nothing but the deepest respect for there traditions, culture and the country so don't even play the racist card with me especially with Japanese. Its like how in Canada Black Canadians are called Black Canadians not African Canadian. Call a Black Canadian African he will correct you and say he was not born in Africa. While in the US using the term Black is racist and the only correct way to refer to a Black American is African American even if he if it was many generations ago his family lived in Africa.

And there is a restaurant in Richmond called Jap House I like. I think the term turned to short hand at around the txt message age

Here are links to non derogatory examples of Jap as a contraction. Context matters, IE you F*ing Jap is racist, shorting Japanese in to Jap isn't.

Traditional Jap house w tatami beds, a place to test ur Integrity !! - Guest House "Bon", Kyoto Traveller Reviews - TripAdvisor
Jap House FigCapt E
Jap House | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The word JEW is derogatory depending on context. You Dirty Jew is derogatory vs My friend is a Jew.... seriously now your just fishing. And Korean was a typo, as you look at many of my posts there are so many examples of typo's you can't even start to argue that was intentional.

Most of the local computer stores are cash-preferred but also take credit for a slightly higher price (which represents a 3% premium). One of them stopped doing that and just put everything at the higher price.
They consider Cash as a discount price from the full price to get past the rule that you can't charge more for Credit Card purchases. And Debit machines can be set to charge extra per transaction to cover the transaction cost. Some DQ's at malls when you use debit will first say Accept .35 cent Debit Fee before getting to the transaction itself.

I recently had a tree cut down. It was all above board. I will admit however that I paid for the stump removal under the table. I paid no tax, and it was the Caucasian red-blooded Canadian that offered that deal to me.
Was the Caucasian a immigrant or a Canadian? I mean did you actually ask him if he was a Canadian Caucasian? Because I doubt you did. I bet your are assuming he was Canadian because of his skin color, who in there right minds asks every one they meet if they are Canadian. I don't even do that. For all you know he was a American immigrant with only permanent residence status.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 08:41 PM

I understand you like to substitute the word 'race' with the word 'culture' so you don't appear racist.

BS, It is all about Culture. Its about where you are born, what culture you grew up in and not what color your skin is. Asian looking 3rd generation Russian is still Russian. A Black rd or 4th generation Russian is still Russian. Asian looking 3rd generation Canadian or American is no different then any other naturally born Canadians and Americans who's distant past could have been Polish, French, English or what ever country there grand parents, greart grand parents or great great great grand parents came from.

Using White Americans as a benchmark of the Caucasian world
Australian's are a different Culture then Americans
British are a different Culture then Americans

Both are mostly Caucasian looking, both are English speaking and all 3 culturally different.

Add into the mix of
Polish, Germans, Dutch, and so on, all are Caucasian countries with different cultures and different languages. Africans kill other Africans over cultural differences, in our eyes they both sides are the same in there eyes based on culture they are different races. Look at Rwanda, Tutsis and Hutus same dam people yet Culture divides them so greatly. If you think im trying to hide being racist, let me correct you right now. Im not racist. I don't even believe in races.

According to you, the Asian 'culture' is dirty and disgusting. They are lying tax cheats who have bad eyesight, can't drive, don't bother to learn English, and don't follow the law.
Which Asian culture, where did I say which ever Asian culture you are referring to is dirty and disgusting. I said large groups of immigrants, mostly from Asia come here not understand out ways. IE is there a littering law in Mambai. Is it common for people to just toss out garbage in Mambai or do you get fined for littering there. Is the concept of Littering even there? Does the word littering translate into Punjab. A clean cut well dressed Rich Indian easily could be used to just tossing a wrapper out the window of his car because its just done there. This is a example of a conflict of culture here. We don't see that as acceptable. YES a lot of people born here to it to and other people tell them off when they do it. But when 90% of the people you see doing that are from the same culture its going to be pointed out as such. Did any one tell them here we don't do that. Prob not. Do I have to ignore it, look the other way when they do that because hey they are immigrants? Does that mean Elements of Punjab Culture is dirty and disgusting, some elements yes.

Do I think this is disgusting

When I see East Indian Immigrants tossing old TV's, Garbage bags and other stuff in the bushes near and around there own houses with my own eyes, possibly trying to avoid garbage dump fee's, do I think thats disgusting...

YES. Does it mean I think All the different Asian cultures are disgusting and dirty, NO. Some parts of some of them yes. That isn't racist.
( Last edited by Athens; Dec 21, 2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Typo)

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 08:42 PM

Tax cheats are not limited to Asians. There are tax cheats from all races.

Fake cash registers? Eh. Why do they need fake cash registers to cheat on taxes? Does the Canadian government come in and count the cash register every single day?

Some of the biggest white collar crimes are committed by White people such as Worldcom and Enron. Are you saying White folks are a bunch of crooks and white collar criminals? Why do you insist Asians are a bunch of tax cheats?

I bet those restaurant tax cheats pay a higher tax rate than Google does. Google pays like 2.4% in taxes due to tax loopholes.
First of all, nobody actually said 'tax cheating is limited to just asians'. Frankly, in my experience, it's East Indians who are more of a problem with tax evasion than the Chinese or Koreans. Research the issue of East Indians in Vancouver trying to claim that their house is a church for the tax benefits, because they have an alter and they pray there.

Now, look. IMO being a church should not mean you get tax breaks, but that's besides the point and is another discussion entirely; East Indians should not be claiming that their home is a church for the tax benefits.

Tax evasion is not limited solely to Asians, it's a widespread problem as you pointed out with your Google example, but pointing to how Google exploits loopholes doesn't make it OK to exploit said loopholes.
Just because Google avoids more taxes than other white tax-evaders doesn't make it acceptable for those other people to avoid taxes; they should both be paying all of the taxes they owe the government and those loopholes should be closed.

However, I think you already know this and are just trolling for attention and responses, so I digress.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
All this hand waving... we're talking about real statistics, and real crime. There's large numbers of actual Asian businesses evading tax, right out in the open. That sushi restaurant is just one of many. And that was millions of dollars.

BTW, I can't even use my credit or debit card here anymore because they keep getting cancelled as they get skimmed at businesses. And it's happening to other people I know too. It's out-of-control. And I know the businesses I am visiting where this is happening, and they are run by Asians and other visible minorities.
Yup, I've had my debit card cancelled 3 times in 2010 and more in 2009. I did narrow it down to a Asian store I was going to. Dam bank wont tell me where the card is compromised but I suspected which one it was and used the new card at it, and didn't use it any place else except one bank machine to pull out cash, in a week it was cancelled.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2010, 09:12 PM

Tax evasion is not limited solely to Asians, it's a widespread problem as you pointed out with your Google example, but pointing to how Google exploits loopholes doesn't make it OK to exploit said loopholes.
Just because Google avoids more taxes than other white tax-evaders doesn't make it acceptable for those other people to avoid taxes; they should both be paying all of the taxes they owe the government and those loopholes should be closed.
At least attempt to understand the difference between evasion and avoidance.
And don't forget to declare all your presents to the taxman this Saturday.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 09:22 PM

This, I have to object to. There are already cases in BC of people abusing the sponsorship system. Not too long ago I remember reading an article in which someone sponsored their wife to come over, and then the wife ditched him once she got here, leaving the husband still financially responsible for her because he sponsored her.
The sponsorship system needs a little rethinking as well IMO.
That was a mail order bride, the dude knew what he was getting into and its sad the judge awarding half his stuff and a 3rd of his income to support this person who legally has no right to be here but because the court cases of the devoice can take years will stay here until its all done wreaking this dudes life. Was not a sponsor in the traditional sense. This is why I said 5 year wait between Application and actual immigration of the rest of the family.
( Last edited by Athens; Dec 21, 2010 at 09:31 PM. )

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I don't think gifts are taxable in Canada

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 09:25 PM

A fair point.
However I'd say that overall, to most people, the most appealing solution to that particular problem would be to abolish paying taxes on Christmas gifts.

Good luck writing loophole-proof legislation for that one that at the same time can't be exploited for other nefarious purposes though.

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that yes, those presents should be declared. Then again, I'm not the present-giving kind of person, and the people I'm friends with understand that and thusly don't expect presents from me. Would I declare said presents if I was the type to give gifts? Probably not, simply out of the effort involved. (Presumably) I want to give a gift, not give a gift and subsequently have to go through oodles of paperwork. And I think we can all agree, the taxman is the last thing on your mind when your in the gift-giving mood.
IMO perhaps the procedures involved for declaring gifts should be streamlined.

Between you and I, I think the whole 'christmas' holiday is faaar to corporate, not to mention religiously motivated. Giving gifts for the sake of giving is awesome, but can we just drop the religious pretenses involved with it here? Most people I know who give presents do it "because its christmas time", not because December 25th was the day Jesus was born (which has been proven to be a sham by the way, to all you Christians out there. Sorry to burst your bubble).

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 09:31 PM

First of all, nobody actually said 'tax cheating is limited to just asians'. Frankly, in my experience, it's East Indians who are more of a problem with tax evasion than the Chinese or Koreans. Research the issue of East Indians in Vancouver trying to claim that their house is a church for the tax benefits, because they have an alter and they pray there.

Now, look. IMO being a church should not mean you get tax breaks, but that's besides the point and is another discussion entirely; East Indians should not be claiming that their home is a church for the tax benefits.

However, I think you already know this and are just trolling for attention and responses, so I digress.
Just so you and I are clear, when I say Asians I mean All Asians, not just Chinese. Only when I say Chinese, or East Indians or Koreans or Japanese for example am I focusing on a particular culture of Asia. Otherwise im referring to all the Asian Cultures. IE The Asian immigration numbers in Vancouver are high. That means the 140 000 Chinese, the 75 000 Chinese from HK, (and if any one says HK is derogatory for Honk Kong Chinese I will get really pissy), the 68 000 Philippino's, the 90 000 East Indians.....

PS Those census numbers are half a decade old but i was making a point to those catching up who might have missed before what Asians mean vs saying Chinese.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2010, 09:35 PM

Between you and I, I think the whole 'christmas' holiday is faaar to corporate, not to mention religiously motivated.
Wait. Christmas is religiously motivated?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 09:36 PM

BS, It is all about Culture. Its about where you are born, what culture you grew up in and not what color your skin is. Asian looking 3rd generation Russian is still Russian. A Black rd or 4th generation Russian is still Russian. Asian looking 3rd generation Canadian or American is no different then any other naturally born Canadians and Americans who's distant past could have been Polish, French, English or what ever country there grand parents, greart grand parents or great great great grand parents came from.

Both are mostly Caucasian looking, both are English speaking and all 3 culturally different.

Add into the mix of
Polish, Germans, Dutch, and so on, all are Caucasian countries with different cultures and different languages. Africans kill other Africans over cultural differences, in our eyes they both sides are the same in there eyes based on culture they are different races. Look at Rwanda, Tutsis and Hutus same dam people yet Culture divides them so greatly. If you think im trying to hide being racist, let me correct you right now. Im not racist. I don't even believe in races.

Which Asian culture, where did I say which ever Asian culture you are referring to is dirty and disgusting. I said large groups of immigrants, mostly from Asia come here not understand out ways. IE is there a littering law in Mambai. Is it common for people to just toss out garbage in Mambai or do you get fined for littering there. Is the concept of Littering even there? Does the word littering translate into Punjab. A clean cut well dressed Rich Indian easily could be used to just tossing a wrapper out the window of his car because its just done there. This is a example of a conflict of culture here. We don't see that as acceptable. YES a lot of people born here to it to and other people tell them off when they do it. But when 90% of the people you see doing that are from the same culture its going to be pointed out as such. Did any one tell them here we don't do that. Prob not. Do I have to ignore it, look the other way when they do that because hey they are immigrants? Does that mean Elements of Punjab Culture is dirty and disgusting, some elements yes.

When I see East Indian Immigrants tossing old TV's, Garbage bags and other stuff in the bushes near and around there own houses with my own eyes, possibly trying to avoid garbage dump fee's, do I think thats disgusting...

YES. Does it mean I think All the different Asian cultures are disgusting and dirty, NO. Some parts of some of them yes. That isn't racist.
It's called overpopulation and poverty. Mumbai is one of the most overpopulated places and quite a poor city. India is still a 3rd world country.

What the hell does dirty and disgusting have to do with Asian culture? Are you saying it's part of the Asian culture to be dirty and disgusting?

It's a social economic situation. Not an Asian culture thing.

Overpopulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whites don't kill other Whites? Only Africans kill other Africans? Really?

I bet there were lots of Whites killing Whites during the US civil war.
( Last edited by hyteckit; Dec 21, 2010 at 09:53 PM. )
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 09:42 PM

Wait. Christmas is religiously motivated?
And Muslims, Buddust, Seeks, Chinese Asians put up trees and decorations and post Merry Christmas signs out of respect. Its sad but they all provide more Christmas spirit then Sears, Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart because they want to be PC...

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 09:45 PM

It's called overpopulation and poverty. Mumbai is one of the most overpopulated places and quite a poor city.

What the hell does dirty and disgusting have to do with Asian culture? Are you saying it's part of the Asian culture to be dirty and disgusting?

For a moment there I thought you had a point.
Until I remembered some of the vacant lots that I used to live near in Surrey. Know what filled those lots? Garbage. Know who makes up the largest part of the demographic in that area? East Indians. I'd know, I used to live there. So did Athens.
( Last edited by Click170; Dec 21, 2010 at 09:58 PM. )

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 09:48 PM

It's called overpopulation and poverty. Mumbai is one of the most overpopulated places and quite a poor city.

No I was replying to some one else making that claim. I don't think Asian Cultures are dirty and disgusting. I was pointing out some one who grew up in that economic situation and poverty might not understand something that is a simple concept here, dont toss your trash out on the streets. Thats not saying Asian culture means tossing your trash out on the streets. It just means some one who grew up in or near the slum that might be a foreign concept to that person coming from that culture to ours. I don't think Asian Cultures are dirty or disgusting but what's his name keeps claiming I do because I see East Indians for example tossing garbage in the bushes just off there properties.

Duh, Culture is based on economics, traditions, values, environmental. Again your misreading into a reply I was making in response the to the accusation that I thought all Asian cultures are dirty and disgusting which isn't the case.

I bet there where lots of Whites killing Whites during the US civil war.
What, huh where, whom is that reply directed to?

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 09:51 PM

And Muslims, Buddust, Seeks, Chinese Asians put up trees and decorations and post Merry Christmas signs out of respect. Its sad but they all provide more Christmas spirit then Sears, Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart because they want to be PC...
Must.. not.. rant.. about.. PC.......

****it-
It's sad, Christmas is the time of year that retailers prepare and ramp up for more than any other holiday or event, and yet you'd be hard-pressed to find so much as ONE big box retailer who admits that by using the term 'merry christmas' instead of 'happy holidays'.
PC gone too far if you ask me. /rant

You know, I bet most of the immigrants who do show some festive spirit but who aren't christian are more doing it to be "part of the magic of the season" more than for the expressed purpose of fitting in with and their neighbors. Thoughts?

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 09:53 PM

I bet there were lots of Whites killing Whites during the US civil war.
Uhm....
Thank you, Left Field.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 10:04 PM

Your English grammar is awful.

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 10:12 PM

That may be, but his points still stand.
Care to refute them, or are you just going to give up and attack his grammar and spelling?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 10:48 PM

That may be, but his points still stand.
Care to refute them, or are you just going to give up and attack his grammar and spelling?
His points? You mean his racist rants against Asians?

If he can rant about Asians not knowing English, he should at least show us he has basic understanding of English grammar.

You and Athens can continue making racist comments about Asians over IM and how White drivers are better drivers than Asian and non-white drivers.

None of his racist rants are based on facts.

freudling
Banned
Dec 21, 2010, 10:54 PM

English grammar... it's called posting quickly.

Anyway, we're speaking to this point: multiculturalism, and an influx from one part of the world, has created unique and challenging problems for Canada. It's the idealistic form of multiculturalism that has not worked. We tried affirmative action. It didn't work: people are still more segregated from one another than ever. Our laws our NOT objective. There are all kinds of amendments because of the multicultural doctrine. No motorcycle helmets and being able to wear turbans in the Canadian Forces are glowing examples of this. And now with the influx of Asians, if it continues unabated, we'll end up like Natives. Displaced from out own society. It's perplexing and bewildering the social and political problems that have revealed themselves as a result of our adoption of an idealistic form of multiculturalism. Idealism doesn't work in the real world. Never has. These problems run far, and deep, and have opened to the door to widespread abuse and corruption. It permeates every layer of our society and our government.

Socially, cultures exhibit the same kinds of beliefs and behaviours as they do in their home countries, except they are doing it in a place that is supposed to be based on values and beliefs that are actually in contradiction to these. For example, there was press in the Vancouver Sun about how many East Indian women in families were being abused, and not treated as equal to men. Many outreach organizations were set up.

CBC News - British Columbia - New program to target domestic violence in Surrey

Corruption in our government:

B.C. government employees plead guilty to corruption

Problems and infighting with different cultural groups in our government... many reports of officials having to break up 20+ person departments because the cultures weren't working well together.

Melting Pot man... that's what we need.

freudling
Banned
Dec 21, 2010, 10:55 PM

If he can rant about Asians not knowing English, he should at least show us he has basic understanding of English grammar.

You and Athens can continue making racist comments about Asians over IM and how White drivers are better drivers than Asian and non-white drivers.

bs. Take your racist accusations and go away.

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 10:59 PM

Yet another person who overgeneralizes anything involving someone's race as 'racism'.
Boy, are you ever going to look like an ass when you find out it's because he's dyslexic.
Oh, wait a minute, that's right this second isn't it. Fancy that.

I'm tired of repeating myself over and over again, so I'm just going to ignore your ramblings from now on, you're not contributing to the discussion we're having anyway, merely distracting from it with emotionally charged childish over-generalizations.
Your like an evangelical Christian arguing about evolution, unwilling to look at the evidence that's staring them in the face because it goes against their predetermined narrative.
Shoo, your "contributions" aren't welcome here anymore.
( Last edited by Click170; Dec 21, 2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Fixed tense)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2010, 11:09 PM

Uh, I'm astonished I have to say this, but I think we can all agree that murdering someone is not allowed. At all. No exceptions. I don't care if your Sihk, Pubjab, or Pastapharian.
Would you disagree?
Of course not, but we don't need to do anything new to make murder illegal. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter why the person decided to murder somebody else, it's the same punishment.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 11:10 PM

Dyslexia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Percocet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Windows Dictionary = a terrible combination

Unless I set my Mac to read back everything I type I can't catch a lot of mistakes. Or I do after the fact later hence a lot of post edits. Most ones you guys see are ones I've posted before going out because I don't have a chance to catch it again. This has been covered many times before so Thank you come again.

Side note Edit, I speak fine, I read fine, understand fine. I have a issue with what is thought, to what my hands type out and what I read back to myself. I read back what I thought not what I actually typed. I read back words that should be in the sentence that aren't by my brain can not distinguish that its actually missing.

Case in point, I wrote "that aren't by my brain" but I read that back twice and saw it as "that aren't, but my brain" Its bloody frustrating... Left that typo in as a example.
( Last edited by Athens; Dec 21, 2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Addition)

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 11:13 PM

Point out one racist comment. Just one...

Who ever said White drivers are better drivers then Asian drivers, come wizkid show me where I said white drivers are better drivers then Asians. I said immigrant drivers are terrible. My Canadian friend with Chinese descendant parents who himself looks Chinese as if he just came off the plane yesterday is a awesome driver. So what are you driving at here and excuse the pun.

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 11:13 PM

Of course not, but we don't need to do anything new to make murder illegal.
This is true.
However, it should be made clear to new immigrants that trying to play the "Well it was acceptable in my culture" card doesn't negate our laws. Murder is murder is murder, religiously motivated or not.

Given that these "honor killings" as they're called, are happening more and more in Surrey, I'd have to say there's a miss-communication somewhere along the lines about the acceptability of murder.

Oops, looks like you edited your comment between my reading it and respond to it.
...At the end of the day it doesn't really matter why the person decided to murder somebody else, it's the same punishment.
Also true, but it needs to be explained to new immigrants in no uncertain terms that its not acceptable. We can throw them in jail, we can deport them, we can send them to live in the arctic circle, but we can't give the murder victim their life back.

And actually, your comment has made me wonder, perhaps there _should_ be different punishments depending on the excuses you try to use to excuse your crime.
Perhaps if you try to use the "Well its acceptable in MY culture" card, you should be deported back to that culture you came from. Especially for murder, and especially if it's been explained to them ahead of time that killing someone is inexcusable.
Thoughts?
( Last edited by Click170; Dec 21, 2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Responded to the rest of your post)

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 11:20 PM

Of course not, but we don't need to do anything new to make murder illegal. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter why the person decided to murder somebody else, it's the same punishment.
Its very important at the end of the day because of what is acceptable and not and what is understood to that effect. If the place you come from allows it and no one educates you that its not allowed here, its a disservice to the person now dead and the person now going to jail and the tax payer.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 11:25 PM

Here is another issue I don't think any one even touched. Populations that move here because of the existing population as a sole reason. Some one from Hong Kong decides to move to Vancouver not because of opportunity, or change or things like a good school to learn at but because "My People" are already there. Its basically migration not immigration. Perhaps we should say Richmond is a Chinese settlement, and Surrey is a East Indian Settlement and the locals thats every one else including immigrants from other parts of the world are the just in the way?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 11:38 PM

Add into the mix of
Yes, you don't believe in races.

When an Asian looking person hits your car, you don't see his race. All you see is his Asian culture.

You can learn so much about the Asian culture by the way they hit your car and the way they drive.

Oh man, that guy drives like he's from the Asian culture.

Oh man, that Bernard Madoff guy lying and cheating like he's from the Asian culture.

Seriously. You know nothing about the different Asian cultures.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2010, 11:46 PM

Dyslexia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Percocet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Windows Dictionary = a terrible combination

Unless I set my Mac to read back everything I type I can't catch a lot of mistakes. Or I do after the fact later hence a lot of post edits. Most ones you guys see are ones I've posted before going out because I don't have a chance to catch it again. This has been covered many times before so Thank you come again.

Side note Edit, I speak fine, I read fine, understand fine. I have a issue with what is thought, to what my hands type out and what I read back to myself. I read back what I thought not what I actually typed. I read back words that should be in the sentence that aren't by my brain can not distinguish that its actually missing.

Case in point, I wrote "that aren't by my brain" but I read that back twice and saw it as "that aren't, but my brain" Its bloody frustrating... Left that typo in as a example.

This is in no way an attack or something you should feel defensive about, but I'm curious out of sheer curiosity in your condition and in upmost respect for its difficulty, is it just slower for you to correct these mistakes to the point where it is too frustrating to want to bother on a regular basis, or are there times when you literally cannot correct things no matter how much you want to?

Click170
Dec 21, 2010, 11:52 PM

When an Asian looking person hits your car, you don't see his race. All you see is his Asian culture.
Give me ONE comment that said that. Just one.
What's that? You can't?
Perhaps it's because of your wildly inaccurate characterizations of our posts...

You can learn so much about the Asian culture by the way they hit your car and the way they drive.
Again, give me ONE person who's even IMPLIED that.
You can't. Because your misquoting us.
Grow up already.

Oh man, that Bernard Madoff guy lying and cheating like he's from the Asian culture.

Seriously. You know nothing about the different Asian cultures.
Actually, when I heard about Madoff the first thing I thought of was "another rich white conman who'll get off light, sigh".

I don't think you could misquote / misunderstand us more than you already have.
Why am I even responding to trolls... *goes to read Slashdot*

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2010, 11:52 PM

This is true.
However, it should be made clear to new immigrants that trying to play the "Well it was acceptable in my culture" card doesn't negate our laws. Murder is murder is murder, religiously motivated or not.
And actually, your comment has made me wonder, perhaps there _should_ be different punishments depending on the excuses you try to use to excuse your crime.
Perhaps if you try to use the "Well its acceptable in MY culture" card, you should be deported back to that culture you came from. Especially for murder, and especially if it's been explained to them ahead of time that killing someone is inexcusable.
Thoughts?
This gets back to the probation thing... If a person is a legal citizen or permanent resident and keeps their nose clean for, say, 15 years, would we still deport them? At some point we assume some authority and liability as their place of legal residence. If the person is illegal, they should obviously be deported, but I'm pretty sure this is already what would happen.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2010, 11:54 PM

NO I see a idiot, I cant determine his culture until the attempt of communications begin like getting the registration papers, the drivers license so I can record everything I need for a ICBC claim. Its at that point I figure out if they are Canadian or Immigrant. The ones that drive super slow, do very stupid things on the road its the driving actions that directs my assumption its a immigrant not a Canadian. Past track record with driving actions allows for a pretty solid assumption of immigrant. Especially when you finger them and they just smile and nod as if you are waving hello.

You tube helps too, example of Mainland Chinese drivers
YouTube - Chinese Intersection

Watch the youtube video You should find some one from China where you live and ask them what they think of other Asian Drivers, mainly Chinese and Koreans. Even Chinese bitch about Chinese drivers. Its not my fault China is way behind in implementing and enforcing road rules and conducting effective driver training.

Oh man, that Bernard Madoff guy lying and cheating like he's from the Asian culture.[/QUOTE]

What does Bernard Madoff have to do with anything. Btw you complain about my grammar, you keep missing the 's in culture making it sound like there is only one Asian Culture which would be greatly incorrect. Either that or you think Asia is one big country which would be a gold medal for the American Educational system.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2010, 12:02 AM

This is in no way an attack or something you should feel defensive about, but I'm curious out of sheer curiosity in your condition and in upmost respect for its difficulty, is it just slower for you to correct these mistakes to the point where it is too frustrating to want to bother on a regular basis, or are there times when you literally cannot correct things no matter how much you want to?
The Perc's are absolutely making it harder. They interfere with reading, causing a bit of double vision with the sensitivity to light. Its why you can see a great variation from day to day or hour by hour in my posts. On average freshly posted stuff I can read over and over again and it will read out as what it should have come out as in my head. Its not until I read other posts and go back and re-read it fresh that I catch the mistakes. Half the time its already replied to so there is little point in correcting it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 12:03 AM

NO I see a idiot, I cant determine his culture until the attempt of communications begin like getting the registration papers, the drivers license so I can record everything I need for a ICBC claim. Its at that point I figure out if they are Canadian or Immigrant. The ones that drive super slow, do very stupid things on the road its the driving actions that directs my assumption its a immigrant not a Canadian. Past track record with driving actions allows for a pretty solid assumption of immigrant. Especially when you finger them and they just smile and nod as if you are waving hello.
You can be an awful driver no matter where you are from.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2010, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
You can be an awful driver no matter where you are from.
That is true but immigrants stand out more and when your city has become 40% immigrants its the numbers game. There is absolutely no way you can compare driving habits of North America with India and China and a few other over populated under regulated nations. You never hear any one complaining about Japanese drivers and thats because they generally have a solid road system with rules, enforcement and driver training. In China driver training is going in circles a few times. A person is licensed with out ever driving on a real road with any other real drivers. Thats it. Once they hit the open roads its every man for himself. No real rules and no enforcement either. India is even more crazy. Depending on which province your in, its as simple as demonstrating you can turn on the car drive it forward and stop it. I watched a documentary on that one and while some provinces have more in-depth requirements others don't.

Drivers from either of those backgrounds are going to be TERRIBLE drivers here period. They are going to be "new" drivers and add to that the language barrier, no understand of what the rules are, road signs and you get a situation of dangerous people who do not belong on the road. Has nothing to do with skin color. If this concept is racist to you then something is very very wrong with your thinking process. Canadian teenagers at least have the benefit of parents to train them how to drive and growing up in a place with standardized traffic rules which even as young kids you start picking up. Like red means stop, green means go. Stop sign means stop, the direction cars drive.

Honestly is this racist at all? Now take into account 700 000 immigrants and out of a population of 2.3 million people and that is a lot of cars on the road with dangerous drivers. Even though most should get better with time, with 70 000 new immigrants arriving each year, they just continue the cycle of unqualified people being on the road.

The only Canadian driver to ever hit me was a dumb blond on a cell phone... Every other accident was a immigrant, I know because in a accident you collect information from them for Insurance purposes. Or when you witness it in a parking lot, you grab a bag of popcorn and watch as they screech at each other in Cantonese or Korean lol

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 12:24 AM

Honestly is this racist at all? Now take into account 700 000 immigrants and out of a population of 2.3 million people and that is a lot of cars on the road with dangerous drivers. Even though most should get better with time, with 70 000 new immigrants arriving each year, they just continue the cycle of unqualified people being on the road.
You're assuming that all of these immigrants are going to go out and buy a car. I'm guessing that quite a large percent of immigrants are going to use public transportation. Car ownership in Asian countries in terms of percentage of the population owning a car is still very low even after the past few years of explosive growth.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2010, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
You're assuming that all of these immigrants are going to go out and buy a car. I'm guessing that quite a large percent of immigrants are going to use public transportation. Car ownership in Asian countries in terms of percentage of the population owning a car is still very low even after the past few years of explosive growth.
If they all did buy cars we would be in real trouble. But considering how many of them are on the road, and how few of them do take the bus and considering the ones here have the money to buy the cars a lot of them do. Its a status symbol in many of the Asian cultures. Japan, Korea and China a car is a symbol of wealth and power.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 01:20 AM

They moved here of there free will, are you telling me if you moved to China you would expect the Chinese people to transform into Americans just for you.....
Wait ... I thought we were talking about Canada?

Click170
Dec 22, 2010, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Wait ... I thought we were talking about Canada?
We are. It's just that sometimes it helps to draw parallels that less intelligent people find easier to relate to, especially when they don't understand the point your trying to make with the arguments made thus far.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 01:38 AM

We are. It's just that sometimes it helps to draw parallels that less intelligent people find easier to relate to, especially when they don't understand the point your trying to make with the arguments made thus far.
Yep, I know.

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
We're talking about Canada and its immigration problems and you post US statistics. Lol.

Ignore...

Forum Links
Forum Rules