Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 3G only works when plugged, otherwise goes into reboot cycle, PWR button damaged?

3G only works when plugged, otherwise goes into reboot cycle, PWR button damaged?
FireWire
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2011, 10:39 PM

My trusty iPhone 3G, which is around 3 years old, started exhibiting strange behavior. It started rebooting endlessly by itself. The only way to stop this is to plug it in my computer via USB. I think the power button may be the culprit because moments before it began, when I woke up my phone, it was in the Slide to shutdown mode, as if the power button was depressed. Now the button doesn't work at all. I can still click it so it's not jammed, but it doesn't do nothing. Any idea?

I already restored it, as the guy at the Apple Store suggested, to no avail.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2011, 12:10 AM

Overdue for a Shiny New Thing.

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2011, 01:11 AM

Yeah, I was waiting for the iPhone 5, but it will only be available in a few months.. I live in Canada so it may even take longer.. talk about bad timing!

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2011, 01:24 AM

I'd replace the power switch but I find it strange that the phone is working properly when plugged.. any explanation?

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2011, 06:38 PM

A genius told me it was probably a battery issue, that even though it was retaining a charge, the current provided was not enough so it was rebooting, and that the power button issue was just a coincidence. It seemed plausible since the phone was 3 years old. I went ahead and ordered some parts from ifixit (new battery, new power switch and a new mute switch because it has become too loose and engaged all the time in my pocket).

After waiting a few weeks, I finally received the parts today (I live in Canada) and proceeded with the surgery. Opening it up was a breeze. There was a lot of dust and grime inside so I cleaned it with compressed air and a spudger. The new power button didn't depress properly when clicked, so I cleaned the old one and put it back, as it didn't look damaged. The dust was probably responsible for the power button not working. Everything went fine and I put the iPhone back. A few connectors were difficult to reinstall but it took less than 5 minutes. I'm happy to report that everything works fine so far

[edit] funny thing, I discovered that one screw was missing when I took it apart! I don't know if the iPhone is assembled by a machine or by hand, but there's a lot of tiny parts in there.. I never saw screws so small in my life!

Forum Links
Forum Rules