Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > HK for the weekend, what to see and do ?

HK for the weekend, what to see and do ?
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2011, 05:40 AM

Bit of an impulse trip to HK with a bud for the weekend. Anyone suggest anything i absolutely have to see or do ?

Cheers

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2011, 07:21 AM

Golden Harvest studio tour.
45/47

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2011, 07:57 AM

Depends on the weather, if it is good:

Victoria Peak - walk around Lugard Road to catch the amazing skyline views. (take the Peak Tram up and bus ride down)

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2011, 11:58 PM

All the fun things to do are on the island, If your hotel is in Kowloon you can probably walk to the TST ferry peer, then go across to Central and catch a 5 minute cab to the Peak Tram.

Lunch in Soho is a good idea too, the rugby sevens are on this weekend too, so if you fancy getting covered in beer you can pick up tickets outside the stadium.

Dinner and drinks in LKF is always fun, but especially this weekend!!

Please report back.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2011, 10:40 AM

Yo, thanks peeps.
In HK right now. We are staying In Kowloon,and have been using the ferry to cross over which is an awesome way to see the skyline. We went to a place with a lot of bars/pubs last night but were a little tired and jet lagged to spend a lot of time there(I think it was near soho).

I have never seen so many mercs, bmws, Audis and luxury cars(fararris, mastitis, lamborghinis) in a single day before.

Today was quite an adventure, we decided to go to the Peak and got to the escalators at 11:30, got lost on the way to the trams, but headed in an upward direction. We asked a couple of people who said it was about 30 minutes more to the top, so we kept going on.... 3 hours later, we barely made it to the top. The view was amazing, although it's been pretty foggy/humid since we got here so we couldn't see across the bay very well. We took the tram down, and had lunch at an excellent restaurant called "crystal jade". There were quite a few rugby hooligans out tonight just creating a scene and usual drunken obnoxiousness.

Did some window shopping, the malls here are insanely huge. Oh and I've seen ipad2s on sale

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 26, 2011 at 11:39 AM. )

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2011, 04:28 PM

Absolutely do not buy an iPad 2 while trying to enjoy HK. Even Apple foretells that tourists will miss the Eiffel tower because eyeballs get stuck on its SVGA LCD.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2011, 06:44 PM

Sundays in HK: avoid Central around the HSBC main building and Statue Square as it will be a sea of domestic helpers having their day off, same goes for Victoria Park in Causeway Bay.

Things to do if you have time today: visit the Flower Market, exit B1 Prince Edward MTR station and walk along Prince Edward Road West for about 5 minutes until you see the 2 blocks of flower vendors, you can loop around this, then cross the road to Fa Yuen Street and walk down towards Mongkok. There are a zillion stalls here selling everything from socks to cellphones, but most stalls won't open until 10:30am but stays open until 10:30pm.

Once you get down to Mongkok you will find each street tends to sell something similar. Goldfish in one street, sports shoes another, tennis rackets and camping gear another and so on. If you like remote control planes, cars, robots & helicopters then visit Kwong Wa Street which is off Dundas Street in Mongkok.

A few MTR stations away is Sham Shui Po which has the famous Golden Computer Center (exit D2 Sham Shui Po MTR) and Aplui Street - electronics as far as the eyes can see! (Sham Shui Po MTR exit C2)

I should add that inside every MTR station you will find a huge map on the wall which is in English and Chinese that shows you where all this stuff is to see in each area, they are kept up to date, so if you get lost just refer to these maps.

That should keep your Sunday busy
( Last edited by Andy8; Mar 26, 2011 at 06:53 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I have never seen so many mercs, bmws, Audis and luxury cars(fararris, mastitis, lamborghinis) in a single day before.
Mastitis is the inflammation of breast tissue.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I spotted that. Maybe its something they eat?

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2011, 08:50 PM

Did some window shopping, the malls here are insanely huge. Oh and I've seen ipad2s on sale
Cheers
As a general rule all Apple products are "available" in Hong Kong within 24 Hours of US release. You will pay a big premium if you want to buy before the formal Hong Kong release, but in Hong Kong, Money talks.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2011, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Damn this auto spell check on iOS. I meant maserati the Italian car.

Cheers Andy, we were at causeway bay, central and times square yesterday. Amazing stuff.

Cheers

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2011, 08:05 PM

Damn this auto spell check on iOS. I meant maserati the Italian car.

Cheers Andy, we were at causeway bay, central and times square yesterday. Amazing stuff.

Cheers
Hawkeye - how was your last day in HK?

Jens Peter
Senior User
Mar 30, 2011, 12:56 AM

How could you miss all the english cars; Jaguar, Bentley, Aston Martin and Rolls Royce?

Hope you had a nice weekend, I just returned from a 5 weeks trip to HK, what a great place!

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jens Peter View Post
How could you miss all the english cars; Jaguar, Bentley, Aston Martin and Rolls Royce?

Hope you had a nice weekend, I just returned from a 5 weeks trip to HK, what a great place!
Exactly.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2011, 10:45 PM

I'm going back to Hong Kong in between 4/10 - 17. Cannot wait.

Enjoy your time.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2011, 09:56 AM

Jags, Porsches, and many Rolls Royces .... too many awesome cars to mention...didn't see any Astons tho

Andy8, our last day.... we went out to do some more site seeing. We went to the "Chung King Mansion" market place in Kowloon...dodgy area for sure. We crossed the bay and went to 188 Wan Chai road where i picked up a couple of PS3&Wii games...4 floors of video game shops....i was totally geeking out. Next we were off to the "Computer center" @ 130 Hennessey Road...where every store seemed to have iPad2s for sale(for almost double the price).

Dinner was at a Russian restaurant in LKF which was pretty good.... mostly polish & german cuisine IMO. The next morning was off to the airport

At the very least i got a great sampler of HK, and looking forward to a longer visit.

Here are a few pictures i took...

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 3, 2011 at 10:29 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules