Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Mod/hack ideas for an eMac

Mod/hack ideas for an eMac
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 10:44 PM

I'm somewhat bored with my eMac's bland appearance and I'm thinking of doing a little hack-job. The problem is I've never really done anything along those lines before so it would probably have to be simple, unless someone is willing to give me a lot of help.

Anyway, I have a number of ideas. They could be as simple as just putting some static clings on the case (removable, non permanent, doesn't void warranty). However, I've also thought of painting and light mods. I could paint the whole thing one solid color, add a design, or somehow put lights in it.

First thought with the lights was that I could put some blue LEDs in the speakers. The speaker cones could act as mirrors and the grills would hide some of the unsightly aspects of putting lights inside. More drastically, I could try making the case clear and putting some lights inside there - has anyone ever tried this? Is it even possible with an eMac? The material looks similar to that used for the iBook, which can also have the paint stripped off the inside and replaced with something else, or just left clear.

So, I'm just looking for some ideas for now. If anyone has suggestions for me, please let me know!

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 12:22 AM

Remove the top of the casing and use the heat off the CRT to drive a lava lamp. It will shimmer whenever your HD clicks.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 12:18 PM

Nothing says "I have no life" more than a computer modded with lights - If you are getting bored with your eMac may I suggest getting your hands on some new software instead of wasting time on modding? Learning new software and creating something with it is in my opinion a much better way to spend ones time. Heck, you could even get a job out of it! What does a modded eMac give you other than a useless time-sinik?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 06:05 PM

Actually, I've been eyeing Adobe Illustrator recently. I used it all the time when I was a little kid, on my PowerMac 7100 my mom gave me. That was version 6. I tried version 10 recently but it's horrible... I want to stay with 6.

Or I could learn one of those things that gets you a lot of money like SQL or PHP or XML or something like that. But those are boring. I don't even know what all that means.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules