Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Call Of Duty 1.4 update now available

Call Of Duty 1.4 update now available
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 02:08 PM

Well, kinda. It's a public beta, so apparently it might still have bugs. But at least it lets you play online with PC users.

Get it here.

I haven't tried it because I haven't had the time. When I do I'll let people know how it goes.

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Well, kinda. It's a public beta, so apparently it might still have bugs. But at least it lets you play online with PC users.

Get it here.

I haven't tried it because I haven't had the time. When I do I'll let people know how it goes.
That's been out since Friday. Been playing it since Friday, and I haven't had any problems.

I'm happy cause I can finally join Heat Of Battle and Revolt servers!

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2004, 03:01 PM

The update brings compatibility with HoB now too. You guys HAVE to try out this mod http://hob.mikesmarauders.com/

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2004, 03:58 PM

I posted this in the market place, but I got two Call of Duty (Mac Editions) as gifts and only need one so...

First come, first serve...

Call of Duty Mac Edition - Brand New in Box - $39 shipped (FedEx).

PayPal is fine.

BZ

iboy
Jun 23, 2004, 06:22 PM

Hi gamers

Are there any performance improvements?

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by iboy:
Hi gamers

Are there any performance improvements?
Apparently so, for ATI cards:

What's new in this version:
Adds compatibility with PC 1.4 network play, including PunkBuster support. It also includes optimizations for ATI Radeon 7500/8500/9000 video cards. This update is only intended for the English version of Call of Duty Macintosh.

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by Caesar2099:
The update brings compatibility with HoB now too. You guys HAVE to try out this mod http://hob.mikesmarauders.com/

Hi Caesar, it's me, The iMac Man... I'm the one who has been posting at the HoB forums about running it on the Mac.

What name do you go by in HoB? You'll often find me on the MM! server, which is also where you will find most of the HoB developers and crew.

Revolt also works on the Mac, but you have to install it on a PC and copy the files over. I'm thinking about hosting my copy of the files for us Mac users. But, Revolt is not as fun as HoB, to me, but it's still pretty cool.

-Ryan

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 08:25 PM

Now the multiplayer is FUN!

Search and Destroy & Behind Enemy Line are very entertaining. Much better than boring TDM & DM.

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Now the multiplayer is FUN!

Search and Destroy & Behind Enemy Line are very entertaining. Much better than boring TDM & DM.
Those modes were there in 1.3 too....

-Ryan

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2004, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Ryan Becker:
What name do you go by in HoB? You'll often find me on the MM! server, which is also where you will find most of the HoB developers and crew.
hey imac man! I use the name CaesarTaco in the game, sometimes with clan name [SoL] before it. I'm loving HoB so far but I've run into one problem, i can't download the map pack so whenever a server loads a map from it i get disconnected. How did you get the map pack for the mac?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 11:22 PM

Those modes were there in 1.3 too....
Well of course. I mentioned in the other thread that in previous version, no one was serving other modes than TDM & DM.

iboy
Jun 24, 2004, 02:30 AM

well, I have a Powerbook G4 with 1.5 Ghz and 1GB Ram but the demo of this game was sooooooo slow :-( is it better now after updating?

gr�essli
iboy

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 12:41 PM

hey imac man! I use the name CaesarTaco in the game, sometimes with clan name [SoL] before it. I'm loving HoB so far but I've run into one problem, i can't download the map pack so whenever a server loads a map from it i get disconnected. How did you get the map pack for the mac?
Oh, no problem, get it here:

http://www.egmediagroup.com:8080/CoD/

The HoB crew tells me they will make the next map pack in Linux/Mac version too. They have all been really cool about me testing out HoB on the Mac and making suggestions for them to make it easier on us to use.

Oh, and I'll see ya in the trenches!

-iMac

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 12:48 PM

Well of course. I mentioned in the other thread that in previous version, no one was serving other modes than TDM & DM.
Well, they aren't as common, but the other modes surely have been hosted... I played a Search & Destroy 1.3 server many times. I was finding the games thru GameRanger's CoD servers link thingy, not thru the game, so I don't know if that made any difference...

-Ryan

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by iboy:
well, I have a Powerbook G4 with 1.5 Ghz and 1GB Ram but the demo of this game was sooooooo slow :-( is it better now after updating?

gr�essli
iboy
The full version of the game runs better than the demo.

You also might need to turn down some detail settings, because you surely should be able to run CoD well on your system.

I'm running it on a 800mhz G4 iMac with 768mb RAM and 32mb vidcard.

-Ryan

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 01:20 PM

Well, they aren't as common, but the other modes surely have been hosted... I played a Search & Destroy 1.3 server many times. I was finding the games thru GameRanger's CoD servers link thingy, not thru the game, so I don't know if that made any difference...
Don't assume that everyone use GR There's lot of us who don't want to use that spyware POS.

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 01:26 PM

Don't assume that everyone use GR There's lot of us who don't want to use that spyware POS.
LOL, you are kidding right? Spyware? I don't think so....

Anyway, it should do the same search the in-game browser does, but maybe it's more powerful or something...

AND, I've been playing multiple game modes all thru version 1.3, and you've been stuck with TDM and DM... so, maybe GR ain't so "POS" after all!

Also, if you like other game modes, you should check out Heat of Battle. It is a teamplay total conversion mod for CoD, which uses an all new capture and hold gametype where you have to work as a team to succeed. It's really good.

-Ryan

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 02:01 PM

LOL, you are kidding right? Spyware? I don't think so....
Obviously you're not up to date. It is indeed spyware. Go read some of the comments in previous GR threads here, Versiontracker/Macupdate comments, etc. One of the examples is that it's monitoring/blocking other apps from launching or running properly.

Anyway, it should do the same search the in-game browser does, but maybe it's more powerful or something...

AND, I've been playing multiple game modes all thru version 1.3, and you've been stuck with TDM and DM... so, maybe GR ain't so "POS" after all!
I'd prefer to play in a server with around 40 max players. I don't see that in GR servers.

Also, if you like other game modes, you should check out Heat of Battle. It is a teamplay total conversion mod for CoD, which uses an all new capture and hold gametype where you have to work as a team to succeed. It's really good.
Will check it out. Thanks.
( Last edited by Adam Betts; Jun 24, 2004 at 02:27 PM. )

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 02:23 PM

Oh, no problem, get it here:

http://www.egmediagroup.com:8080/CoD/
Where can I download this 'zzz-hob4.pk3' that most HoB servers requested?
( Last edited by Adam Betts; Jun 24, 2004 at 02:40 PM. )

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2004, 03:47 PM

Yeah that's a bug I believe what you need to do is turn auto downloading off and it should work, it's in the multiplayer options section.

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 04:09 PM

Obviously you're not up to date. It is indeed spyware. Go read some of the comments in previous GR threads here, Versiontracker/Macupdate comments, etc. One of the examples is that it's monitoring/blocking other apps from launching or running properly.

I'd prefer to play in a server with around 40 max players. I don't see that in GR servers.
Spyware is software that monitors your system, etc... not software that blocks ONE piece of software that is for voice communitcation. And, I find that completely acceptable being that one of the features of the Pro GR subsciption is voice communication. Anyway, I don't use any of that, so it doesn't matter to me.

I'm not talking about games hosted thru GR. GR has the ability to search all servers, including the PCs, just like the in game browser.

-Ryan

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 04:11 PM

Hmm, never seen that before... maybe Caesar is right, just turn off auto-DLing.

Or, have you isntalled the .32 Linux patch? Some servers are running .31 still, but most are at .32. If you get an alert about the hob0.pk3, then you have the wrong version for that server. I just keep a copy of that file from each version so I can just swap em out and join any server...

-Ryan

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 05:57 PM

Oh, Adam and Caesar,

I wanted to know if you guys have noticed a bug I seem to have in HoB...

Do you ever get crazy renaming going on, where like all of a sudden it will say you, or any other player, has changed their name to some crazy scrambled version of their name?

All the time, particularly right after a game starts, it will say something like:

"The iMac Man has changed his name to naMimaCheT" or any other scrambling of my name.

And, sometimes it will "spam" the name change and say the person has changed their name like 20 times in a row really fast. Weird stuff...

Have you guys seen anything like this??

-Ryan

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2004, 07:03 PM

Yep, it keeps changing CaesarTaco to seaCaTraco

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 08:01 PM

Yep, it keeps changing CaesarTaco to seaCaTraco
Hehehe

Yeah, that's it! The guys at HoB say they don't know why HoB would cause that, but I'm sure it's HoB cause the normal CoD, or even the Revolt mod, haven't done that.

Hmm, interesting. I'm taking screen shots of it for them, but I doubt there is much, or anything, that they can do to fix it for us.

FYI, if you try Revolt, turn off Wall Marks as that made it lag to an unplayable point on my Mac. Right now Revolt only comes in an EXE installer, but the next version they say they will release in ZIP for us Mac users.

-Ryan

Forum Links
Forum Rules