Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Anyone have a clearer/higher res version of this desktop? (PICS)

Anyone have a clearer/higher res version of this desktop? (PICS)
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2004, 01:23 AM

I found this image while looking for a fun Star Wars related desktop image:

Kind of grainy though, especially when upsized from 800x600 to 1280x960. Anyone have a higher resolution picture of this scene or a similar one, perhaps from the new DVDs?

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Holigen
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 01:55 AM

Until someone finds a true higher res pic, try a gaussian blur on it when its scaled up. Or do some other filter in PS to sort of hide it.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2004, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by Holigen:
Until someone finds a true higher res pic, try a gaussian blur on it when its scaled up. Or do some other filter in PS to sort of hide it.
gaussian always does the trick!
good tip H!
peace.
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

Dave-o�
Senior User
Sep 25, 2004, 10:26 AM

DON"T DO GAUSSIAN BLUR...

Filter > Noise > Despeckle

then

Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask.. (tinker with the settings)

You may also have to adjust the curves on the image to get your rich blacks and crisp whites...

You're Welcome....

Holigen
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 12:47 PM

Ya, thats what I was gonna say too...

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2004, 01:41 PM

Tried running Despeckle and then Unsharp Mask. I actually got better results (I think) by just leaving the Unsharp Mask settings alone and instead using Sharpen.

Not a huge difference but it is definitely better running it at a blown-up resolution now.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 01:45 PM

Maybe you could get a DVD capture? There may also be a video game recreation of that scene or 3d render.
click one

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2004, 02:22 PM

Yeah, that's kind of why I started this thread... anyone here have the DVDs? Mind taking a snap of it? If you don't have web hosting you can always email it to me, lucarescigno at gmail dot com, and I can host it and put it up here so everyone has access to it.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2004, 06:15 PM

A DVD capture would be no larger than 720x480 so that wouldn't help, I'm afraid.

deej5871
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
A DVD capture would be no larger than 720x480 so that wouldn't help, I'm afraid.

if you play it at full screen the screen cap will be whatever your resolution is. Unless your talking about if it's widescreen, but then that would have no effect on width.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by deej5871:

if you play it at full screen the screen cap will be whatever your resolution is. Unless your talking about if it's widescreen, but then that would have no effect on width.
the original mpeg2 video file will be 720x480. playing it full screen means that your dvd player is interpolating to the full screen's resolution. there will not be more than 720x480 worth of material in the resulting picture.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
the original mpeg2 video file will be 720x480. playing it full screen means that your dvd player is interpolating to the full screen's resolution. there will not be more than 720x480 worth of material in the resulting picture.
It'd still be better than the image he posted... It'll be digitally re-mastered off the DVD and with out jpg compression.
click one

deej5871
Senior User
Sep 27, 2004, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
Ahh..got it. But as NS said, it still be better than the current pic.

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 01:00 AM

HAH! Found a better one:

http://www.roadsquadron.com/Referenc...Yavin_BY02.jpg

It's huge and very wide (2804x1352) so I'm just posting the link. And yes, the resolution is significantly better than that first picture. Not perfect, but when scaled to the size of the screen it's much clearer.

The scene is also recreated in the Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader game for GameCube. I was just playing it the other day. And you can play that game in progressive scan mode on an HDTV. I don't have any of that equipment, though.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 03:43 AM

good luck finding a good pic. old school pics tend to be grainy

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
good luck finding a good pic. old school pics tend to be grainy
I was feeling a little random, so I whipped this up last night in Carrara and Photoshop. No Y-Wings at the moment, but it's just for kicks anyway... the master is 1680x1050, but it ain't done yet... :-D

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2004, 12:05 PM

Lookin' nice Dave!

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2004, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Lookin' nice Dave!
Thanks... I know next to nothing about 3D apps, so I'm just happy it's working out at all! :-D

demograph68
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2004, 08:11 PM

Did you make them from scratch?

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2004, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Did you make them from scratch?
Oh no! Definitely not. I figure, with something like this, where there are about 5-10 different free models to choose from, there's not much point in spending the time making my own. I am usually the most interested in the final image, and using freely available models saves a lot of time that I'd rather spend on the image itself. I have built one or two 3D models, but it's such a big job that I always start to lose my initiative.

However, I almost always go back in and work on things after the renderer is done, hoping to scrub off that "3D App" look things get. On these models, after they were all composited, I made all sorts of additions and adjustments. They have a lot of additive layers applied to them. The planets were done with LunarCell, which is a great plugin, if somewhat awkward to use. It helps if you get an account with a satellite access service so you can grab real clouds. The planets also have lot of tweaking going on...

Looking closely, I noticed that the picture posted at the start of the thread has been doctored, with lots of ships duplicated and added back in. I found the original screenshot from the film and went more by that, although this is not an exact reproduction - just approximate!

Anyway, here is a 1440x900 widescreen version, complete with y-wing bombers. I had fun fooling around with this, and I hope you enjoy having a higher-res version now, Luca! Isn't it amazing that we can sit around and do this on our Macs? I mean, I saw Star Wars on opening day in '77...

Get the full-sized widescreen version here...

Forum Links
Forum Rules