Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Can I be banned from the Pol Lounge?

Can I be banned from the Pol Lounge?
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2008, 06:27 PM

Just the Pol Lounge, not the other forums. If this is possible I'd greatly appreciate it!

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2008, 06:49 PM

Just to clarify, and not to be rude here, but you're saying that you don't have the self-restraint to stay out of the PL, so you want to be banned from it?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2008, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Just to clarify, and not to be rude here, but you're saying that you don't have the self-restraint to stay out of the PL, so you want to be banned from it?

This movie proves that liberals hate America, freedom, and our troops, and they want Osama Bin Laden to win the war on terror and kill all our babies.
'nuff said.

http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...640/w-trailer/

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2008, 08:56 PM

Not too hard.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 14, 2008, 10:38 PM

Odd. People usually ask for someone else to be banned from the Pol Lounge, rather than themselves. Some even have an extensive list.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 11:15 PM

There's been a number of precedents that I am aware of.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 11:37 PM

I had DH ban me from Pol/War a while back, as it was becoming a real time-waster. After about a year & a half, I was over it enough to have him un-ban me & find that I'm content to forget about it for a few days at a stretch, which is about right. All ya gotta do is ask a mod. You could have them ban you from Networking, if you wanted them to.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 15, 2008, 12:13 AM

I forgot to include the [joke] tags around my comment, and was expecting assorted handles to be volunteered.

Luca Rescigno, the deed is done. Ask anytime you want it lifted.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2008, 11:01 AM

I hope I didn't come off badly up there. I guess I just don't understand the problem.

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2008, 03:40 PM

Thank you so much reader50!

I actually explained in a different thread (here), but I'll reiterate here. Basically what happens is I normally browse the forums by hitting the "New Posts" link at the top of the page. Of course, that mixes in all the posts from all the forums in with each other, so there are always several PWL threads that show up when I do that. I have been trying recently to exercise self-control in that regard, but it's a lot harder when people use ridiculously trollish thread titles in there.

I was planning on simply ignoring them anyway, or to stop visiting MacNN entirely, but then I saw someone else post (in response to my post in the aforementioned thread) that he had been given a PWL-only ban at his request, so I figured I'd give it a shot. On the other hand, this would have probably been better handled through a PM... sorry about that. I realized after I had already hit the submit button.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the ban and it's nice to see that PWL threads aren't even visible to me - I'm not only incapable of posting, but I can't even see them. That's exactly what I was going for.

I wonder how much trouble it would be to add a group that people can join to hide the PWL if they so choose, so people don't have to request bans? Just a thought.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2008, 03:58 PM

I never use the "New Posts" link so I hadn't thought about it in those terms. I'm an old stick-in-the-mud, going forum by forum so I have a bit of context for the posts I read. Again, sorry if I came off rude up there.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2008, 01:29 AM

Nothing very interesting goes on the political lounge. It is just the usual hysterical cry-baby estrogen drenched cheese eating surrender monkeys, the neo-Abes, and of course myself. I read at most 10% of the replies to threads I start, I never read threads with titles I don't like, I have no hesitation to unload on a post that annoys me, I never change my mind about anything nor do I ever enjoy a discussion in the slightest, and I'm 100% sure that everyone else acts the exact same way.

Or in other words, don't take it seriously. That, my friend, is the key the understanding the goings-on of the poli lounge.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Nothing very interesting goes on the political lounge. It is just the usual hysterical cry-baby estrogen drenched cheese eating surrender monkeys, the neo-Abes, and of course myself. I read at most 10% of the replies to threads I start, I never read threads with titles I don't like, I have no hesitation to unload on a post that annoys me, I never change my mind about anything nor do I ever enjoy a discussion in the slightest, and I'm 100% sure that everyone else acts the exact same way.
In other words, the PWL has no reason to exist.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

I wanted to address this specifically.
... I'm 100% sure that everyone else acts the exact same way.
You are wrong.
Nothing very interesting goes on the political lounge. It is just the usual hysterical cry-baby estrogen drenched cheese eating surrender monkeys, the neo-Abes, and of course myself. I read at most 10% of the replies to threads I start, I never read threads with titles I don't like, I have no hesitation to unload on a post that annoys me, I never change my mind about anything nor do I ever enjoy a discussion in the slightest, and ...

Or in other words, don't take it seriously. That, my friend, is the key the understanding the goings-on of the poli lounge.
And I think that sums up the attitude of the person who makes the Pol/War Lounge suck the most.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2008, 11:27 AM

I'd say that taking the PL itself too seriously, and especially taking the opinions of other posters too seriously, is the largest failing of that forum. The thing is built for "highly emotional" topics, so when people go there, they are already set up for confrontation. Instead of just voicing their opinions and letting others have theirs, it seems that a lot of our members want to "correct" other members. Opinions are like...... oh wait, I shouldn't say that, should I... Anyway, giving credence to other people's opinions about politics in person is a bad idea, and getting all steamed up over some online individual's opinions is a very, VERY bad idea. It leads to bad decisions, like "I'll show that expletive what his bleeped idea of that deleted subject means!!!" and things go downhill fast.

I think we should all do a little yoga before and after visiting the PL. Just the relaxation breathing should be enough. And watch a Three Stooges short before and after too. The PL makes just as much sense—and difference—as the Stooges do.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Aug 16, 2008, 11:57 AM

The PL is one of the reasons why I stopped visiting this place regularly - just having to look at the title of the last post (*) in that sh*thole when opening the lounge gives me a skin condition. Sort of like having an Aryan Nations billboard mounted on the roof of a Kindergarten.

(* - Yes, I know all about cookies. Thank you.)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2008, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'd say that taking the PL itself too seriously, and especially taking the opinions of other posters too seriously, is the largest failing of that forum.
Like I've said before, a long time ago I used to go to a similar message board in AOL's teen area and that place was awesome. So I know it can happen. It was full of people with a wide array of opinions who cared about the things we were discussing. I learned a lot from that place. I miss that place. The difference is that they were looking for intellectual stimulation and good conversation whereas too many people in the PL just hate people who disagree with them.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
You are wrong.
U suck
If you want to talk about sucking... Aren't you one of the touchy religious god-people who takes everything personally in the polilounge as though the legitimacy of your religious conversion depended upon it?

Anyways, the PWL is pointless. I imagine that at least 75% of the people in there have no form of higher education, which amounts to constant squabbling, contrarian behavior, and overall primitive discourse. The only people who make any worthwhile contributions seem to be our Scandinavian members.

As I said before, people never change their minds or admit to fault in the course of their discussions. You can press an argument as far as you want but all you will get is your opponent either leaving the thread and "forgetting" to reply, or his deconstruction of the individual clauses of your paragraph and dissecting the meaning of words as though he were an expert on semantic philosophy.

These are the rules by which the PWL operates. It is, by and large, neither a serious nor constructive place. The fact that the person in the OP lacks even the self restraint to avoid clicking on PWL threads indicates that there are people who just do not realize the triviality of that forum and feel compelled to regard it as deeply serious. It isn't.
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Aug 16, 2008 at 02:34 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2008, 02:50 PM

This is ready for:

Railroader
Banned
Aug 16, 2008, 06:25 PM

If you want to talk about sucking... Aren't you one of the touchy religious god-people who takes everything personally in the polilounge as though the legitimacy of your religious conversion depended upon it?
Kudos on proving my point. The PWL has caused my respect of some atheists to increase, and some "believers" to decrease. That's not to say my personal beliefs have wavered in the slightest, it has as sure a foundation as it was established upon.
Anyways, the PWL is pointless. I imagine that at least 75% of the people in there have no form of higher education, which amounts to constant squabbling, contrarian behavior, and overall primitive discourse. The only people who make any worthwhile contributions seem to be our Scandinavian members.

As I said before, people never change their minds or admit to fault in the course of their discussions. You can press an argument as far as you want but all you will get is your opponent either leaving the thread and "forgetting" to reply, or his deconstruction of the individual clauses of your paragraph and dissecting the meaning of words as though he were an expert on semantic philosophy.

These are the rules by which the PWL operates. It is, by and large, neither a serious nor constructive place. The fact that the person in the OP lacks even the self restraint to avoid clicking on PWL threads indicates that there are people who just do not realize the triviality of that forum and feel compelled to regard it as deeply serious. It isn't.
And yet you are one of the major contributors in that lounge. You are the one who makes most of the trolling and baiting threads. The worst kind. I can see why you would attack the OP.

As much I I would have belittled the OP a couple years ago, these days I think he's fine (and perfectly healthy sanity-wise), and has a legitimate request. I just wish more people were banned there involuntarily.

OreoCookie
Aug 16, 2008, 07:17 PM

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules