Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook G4

ibook G4
bettafish
Dec 5, 2003, 08:05 PM

What is a ibook G4 12" 800mhz G4 compared to..lets say...a Powerbook G3 400mhz?
Im seriously considering an upgrade to the ibook G4, simply because of the DDR ram, and G4 processor...any comments or suggestions? Is it worth the uprgade?

pat++
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 08:30 PM

Definitely a worth upgrade. iBook G4 should feel faster than light compared to your PowerBook.

Stinkysteve
Dec 5, 2003, 09:25 PM

I just upgraded from a Pismo 500 to a G4 12 inch iBook. You will definatly notice the speed increase, besides the better graphics support from a much better video card and the Altevec support on the G4 chip.
Just be sure to order it on line to get the Blue Tooth built in, (it's the only way to have it in the iBook).

bettafish  (op)
Dec 5, 2003, 11:16 PM

Thanks, any reccomendations for which model is the best for the money? eg: 12", 14"?

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2003, 12:13 AM

I went with the 12" because the processor speed is not that different and I carry it around school all day. Love the compact size.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

si_lance
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2003, 03:40 AM

ditto

DaBeav
Dec 6, 2003, 04:38 AM

The 14" isn't too big, and it still pretty light at 5.9lbs. If it will be your primary machine, the larger screen may be worth it. It also depends on how mobile you are. The CPU is defintitely faster, but you wouldn't really notice except when playing games or using PShop.

It really comes down to preference. Try to use both side-by-side. I personally prefer the 14". I like the larger form factor (more wrist room) the larger screen and boost.

Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy

deathvole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2003, 07:09 PM

I'd vote for the 12" G4 iBook. It's got the some pixel count as the 14" but is much more compact. Perfect for traveling, same onscreen pixel real estate. (Unless you find the 12" too hard to read due to poor eyesight.)

When I'm at home I plug my old Sawtooth's keyboard and monitor into it, plus a 3-button mouse, and with the iBook Open Firmware display hack get as many pixels as my monitor can handle. (Currently running the external display in Spanning Mode at 1280x1024).

As portable as can be, plus all the benefits of a regular desktop box when I'm back home.

NOTE: Firmware hack is NOT advised if you're uncomfortable with potentially screwing up your iBook. But it sure is working great here. ;-)

Cheers,

DV

Forum Links
Forum Rules