Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Neo OS

Neo OS
billy_2004
Banned
Jan 5, 2004, 01:22 AM

I realise the software described below does not fall under the catagory of creating software for a Macintosh. But I am interested in writing the software under UNIX or a similar and/or supported system. These are the (very poorly designed) but working OS attempts I have designed on my PC. If you have a PC and want to try out Neo OS, message me, I will be more than happy for feedback. Let me know what build you want. Thanks.

Neo OS PRODUCT LINEUP HISTORY:
BETTAFISH INC.

Neo OS Build 1.0.2
RELEASE: 2001/sept 13th

Key features:
-130MB installation
-E byt browser(version 1.0)
-Word Wizard software(1.0)

OS Faq:
-Built on the Chine(c) file format system. Supports up to 256 colors. No support for independant video card(list of manufacturers, refer to index). No support for software rendering(uses direct draw windows files). 640x480 resolution max. (No network support). Full version software available only, beta stage. Upgradable to version 2 using "upgrade option." Support for dial up networking or LAN must use 3d party software. Supports .exe and .txt file extensions. (Some restrictions apply).

Requirements:
-Windows 98 or Me(XP/2000/NT not supported).
-133mhz Pentium or faster.
-4 MB Memory
-130 free HDD space.

Neo OS Build 1.1.3
RELEASE 2001/oct 3rd

Key features:
-80MB installation
-Support for audio
-Time/date feature
-Improved menus

OS Faq:
-Built on the Chine(c) file format system. Now with audio support using native Windows drivers.(And supported audio chipsets). Color is now adjustable to B+W, 8-but color, and 256 colors. Improves menus for easier access to options. Windows are resizable due to core operation updates. Contrast option available. Rename function for title bars.

Requirments:
-80MB free HDD Space

Neo OS Build 1.2.5
RELEASE: 2001/dec 16th

Key features:
-110MB installation
-Advanced menus
-Title bars themeable
-Word Wizard software(2.0)
-Moveable icons

OS Faq:
-Built on the Chime(c) file format system. Includes new graphic support for supporting higher resolution up to 800x600. 256 colors max depth. Icons can now be moved(memory of recent positions remembered). Word Wizard 2.0.1 adds more support for file types, including: Microsoft Word, AppleWorks.) Customizable title bars for different colors: red, green, yellow, black, default: blue). Menus support for direct access to directory contents.

Neo OS Build 2.0.1
RELEASE: 2002/feb 28th

Key features:
-Red Globe File System update
-16 bit colors
-Gradient support

OS Faq:
-Built on the Red Globe file system. (Optimized for certain applications). This is optional(if support for older applications is needed). The core is still built on the Chime system, but the RGFS is running as a background task to optimize apps and overall system speed. Support for up to 16 bit depth, at 800x600 resolution. This offers support for more programs and better graphics. Gradients is also supported due to the higher resolution support. The system runs 25% faster compared to earlier systems when running supported applications and certain tasks. This version is offered as a full install.

Neo OS Build 2.1.3
RELEASED: 2002/mar 15th

Key features:
-User log in
-Icon options(resizable)
-Menu FW/BW option(Supermenu 2.0)
-Diamond(c) multimedia player
-Word Wizard(3.0)

OS Faq:
-User log in recognition remembers changes made by the user and saves them(this is fully optimized by the Red Globe File System). Supermenu(c) 2.0 is an active directory browser that has been integrated into the browser. (No more multiple windows open means less clutter). Small and large icons now supported due to the higher resolution(800x600 max). .AVI and .MOV and .MP3 and .WAV files are now supported with the Diamond(c) Media player. Word Wizard 3.0 supports the high resolution 800x600 setting.

Neo OS Build 3.0.1
RELEASE: 2002/july 25th

Key features:
-Word Wizard 3.5
-Menu Tab(1.0)
-Supermenu
-New Interface
-User log in
-CD/Floppy support

OS Faq:
-Built completely on the Red Globe File System. This meant the interface had to be updated to support the full features that is offered. Startup screen graphics now supported(256 colors max). Boot engine(1.0) supports booting from CD-ROM or 3 1/2 Floppy diskette. New interface boats support for quicker access to directories and applications. The advanced supermenu(3.0) integrates multiple functions into one, including instant access to tools for certain files, a media bar to preview multimedia files. Word Wizard 3.5 has been updated to the new interface. User log-in supported for better privacy and protection.

Neo OS Build 4.0.1
RELEASED: 2002/aug 6th

Key features:
-Word Wizard 4.0
-Media Studio 2.0
-DVD-ROM support
-Right click support

OS Faq:
-This release was a multimedia update. Featuring support for DVD-ROMs, (playback of videos only). A now fully integrated Media Studio(c) for playing:
-CD's
-MP3's
-DVD's
-Word Wizard 4.0 is also included and is a final release of version 3.5(big fixes). Right clicking is incorperated to bring customizability to a new level, offering instant access to resulution and program properties.

Neo OS Build 4.2.0
RELEASE: 2002/september 2nd

Updates:
Neo OS 4.2.0 features a new full screen(scaling) user log in screen, with voice recognition drivers built in. This assures users have secure and safe protection. Administration tools(c) 1.0 enables the host(admin) to set limits and passwords to individual users. LAN support for various manufacturers. Shut-down menu has been improved for users. Encrypted file support to protect against unwanted user attacks. Simplified menu bars de-clutter the work space. "Users" folder for viewing shared files and viewing what users are currently online/offline.

Neo System 5.0.0
RELEASE: 2003/oct 10th

OS Faq:
-Red Globe file system version 2.0. Improved speed of up to 30% compared to RGFS 1.0.
-Completely new interface and high quality depth up to 32-bit colors, resolution depending on video card.
-User log in system faster, saved preferences are loaded quicker.
-Menu tab 2.0 closes and expands to de-clutter workspace.
-Supermenu SE(special edition), is now less complex and automatically catagorizes items depending on type.
-WordWIZ 4.5 updated to new interface, Media Studio 2.5 included.
-Ebyt(c) 2.0 is included and supports WAP, HTML, FLASH, and JAVA.
-Echat compatible with ICQ and MSN contacts, built in auto-mail link.
-HELP(c) system and tutorials built in for ease of use.
-Afterburn 1.0 software included.
-Mail express 1.0, built in virus scanning technology for recieving and composing emails.
-Neo DVD stand alone player for optimized playback of DVD-ROMS.

REQUIRMENTS: Windows 98, ME(XP/2000/NT not supported).
-330MB free HDD space.
-64MB memory.
-Pentium 1 or higher.

symonsl
Jan 5, 2004, 01:34 AM

Which one runs iTunes?

bettafish
Jan 5, 2004, 01:37 AM

Neo OS 5 probably would, but iTunes only works on XP and 2000, and my system runs on Windows 98. Therefore...it would not run.

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2004, 01:58 AM

If you are writing an OS, then why is a previous OS a requirement? I can install Linux, Windows, Mac all without having a previous OS installed on the machine. Also, by the way you acted in the other thread, I am not quite sure you have the mental capacity to design a functioning OS.
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2004, 12:52 PM

yeah you can't seriously call it an operating system if you have to run it inside windows98. Is this a joke?

billy_2004  (op)
Banned
Jan 5, 2004, 02:57 PM

actually this has been compiled in c+ and runs as a program. (exe)...still, i can say I am rather proud of my achievments. it still required a lot of work(to develope the look and feel and interface). Again, if anyone has a pc, or Virtual Pc they would like to try it on, feel free to ask. I will be posting pictures up soon. If anyone is interested. Thanks

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 03:28 PM

wtf ?

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by billy_2004:
actually this has been compiled in c+ and runs as a program. (exe)...still, i can say I am rather proud of my achievments...
c+ ?
The whole "OS" is a single exe ?
?????

I will be posting pictures up soon. If anyone is interested. Thanks
NOBODY is interested. Please don't bother.
You shouldn't have bothered posting this in the first place.

Hey mods, do us all a favor and put this thread out of it's misery.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 05:25 PM

now c�mon, someone give this a shot already!!
or hey, how about some neat screenshots for the pc-less, betta_2004? i�d really like to see it.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

zachs
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by msuper69:
c+ ?
The whole "OS" is a single exe ?
?????

NOBODY is interested. Please don't bother.
You shouldn't have bothered posting this in the first place.

Hey mods, do us all a favor and put this thread out of it's misery.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by billy_2004:
I will be posting pictures up soon. If anyone is interested. Thanks
didn�t see that at first. sure! bring them on! i�m curious.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 07:51 PM

I think he meant C++, and why shouldn't he do this if he so feels? But this belongs in the lounge I think.
weird wabbit

bettafish
Jan 6, 2004, 12:15 AM

I have posted Pictures of builds 1.0.2, 2.0.1, and 5.2.0 on geocities. As you know, Geocities is glitchy, if the picture does not show up, simply refresh or enter the address again.

System 1.0.2 Startup Screen
System Desktop 1.0.2
System 2.0.1 Startup Screen
System Desktop 2.0.1
System 5.2 Startup Screen
System 5 Login Screen
System 5 Desktop

I will post downloads(zipped) on geocities soon. Check back.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 12:18 AM

Cipher13
Jan 6, 2004, 12:20 AM

I just wanna ask... why? What's the point of this venture?

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
Paste the link into the address bar; or click the link, then when the unavailable page comes up, hit enter in the address bar again.

It's just how Geocities attempts to forbid remote linking.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2004, 12:20 AM

Yes I would like to install your virus on my PC where do I sign up

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 12:22 AM

thanks cipher.

bettafish
Jan 6, 2004, 12:30 AM

Virus? Are you serious, or are you joking.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 02:29 AM

i think he's joking

neo os system 5 looks pretty cool

it'd be cool to see this running on a mac machine

its quite an accomplishment to write an os
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2004, 02:51 AM

But it isn't an OS.. it's just an operating environment.. or a desktop interface :shrug: it's like a layer that runs on top of windows :shrug again:
Aloha

himself
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by Link:
But it isn't an OS.. it's just an operating environment.. or a desktop interface :shrug: it's like a layer that runs on top of windows :shrug again:
It seems that a lot of folks forget... there was a "lite" (free) version of BeOS that could be started as an .exe in windows. As far as I can tell, it was a full fledged operating system.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2004, 03:01 AM

More like an emulator, is what it is, since the Win98 OS still handles hardware etc directly as far as I can see, and this application plugs into that. Nonetheless it isn't easy to write something like this, even if there is no real use for it. Even people like Linus Torvalds started off small.

That said, if this billy/bettafish clown ever gets this thing into the mainstream, it would be really weird.
weird wabbit

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jan 6, 2004, 04:53 AM

Any exe file could be or contain a potential virus, its just common sense.

Does it run full screen and do i have to change any system files to get it to work?

Are there any applications yet?
- audio player
- text editor
- web browser

Is this alpha or beta software and how good does it run with the minimum system requirements?

One last question, what makes your operating system stand out among the rest, as in, why should users download and use Neo OS?

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jan 6, 2004, 04:56 AM

Oops, sorry. Didn't read all your build number features. Good luck on your projects, it isn't easy to make an operating system that appeals to people.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2004, 06:15 AM

i can't see the pics, data transfer is maxed out on yahoo.

but hey, don't let these naysayers get you down. Congrats on writing it all yourself - I doubt most people here even have the know-how to do something like that.

Did you implement your own VM/cache system? I'd be pretty impressed if you did.

But think of it this way - linux started out as a branch off of minix. All it was was some console drivers.

Look where it is now.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by kertong:
Did you implement your own VM/cache system? I'd be pretty impressed if you did.
There's no indication that he did any of that yet. I would be impressed if he wrote his own scheduler, driver architecture, graphics primitives, API, etc, but I doubt that he did.

BTW, if you are the least bit serious you need to support Win2K at least.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by kertong:
But think of it this way - linux started out as a branch off of minix. All it was was some console drivers.

Look where it is now.
Yeah, first Linux, then Bettafish . . .

bettafish
Jan 6, 2004, 03:32 PM

http://www.geocities.com/bettafish2000/neo5.swf

THAT is the link to the Neo OS website. This covers the main features of NEO OS, as well as frequently asked questions. The link will not work from here, so retype the link OR copy and paste it into the browser. Thank you,
Liz Phillips

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2004, 04:31 PM

Right after being in the scene for things like this back in my windows days heres what i think:
A)Quite clearly its a shell not an OS seen as it runs on top of another OS
B)ITS MADE IN FLASH HAHAHA
C)Horrible design, REALLY horrible, worst design since BABYA SYSTEM
http://teknidermy.com/issue/11/babyafied/bdesktopsm.gif
ahh i talk to that guy who made that, its hilarious
http://teknidermy.com/issue/11/babyafied/
theres some article about the guy cos he spammed every board/site in the shell / customisation scene to buggery, just search google for babya system.
ahh seems hes playing a song a friend of mine made in his crappy mp3 player haha that amuses me no end

redJag
Senior User
Jan 6, 2004, 04:48 PM

I don't think the actual shell is written in Flash, but just the feature overview that they designed.
Travis Sanderson

Jayznkelc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
Right after being in the scene for things like this back in my windows days heres what i think:
A)Quite clearly its a shell not an OS seen as it runs on top of another OS
B)ITS MADE IN FLASH HAHAHA
C)Horrible design, REALLY horrible, worst design since BABYA SYSTEM
http://teknidermy.com/issue/11/babyafied/bdesktopsm.gif
ahh i talk to that guy who made that, its hilarious
http://teknidermy.com/issue/11/babyafied/
theres some article about the guy cos he spammed every board/site in the shell / customisation scene to buggery, just search google for babya system.
ahh seems hes playing a song a friend of mine made in his crappy mp3 player haha that amuses me no end
Made in Flash? HAHA yeah right, try Paint.

After this guy's posts in the other thread, it's pretty hard to take this seriously.

bettafish
Jan 6, 2004, 05:34 PM

the development of Neo is not based on Flash. The website is made in Flash. Neo is constructed on the Red Globe architecture. Again, if anyone is interested in trying it out, ask. But do not attempt to imply false implications of the OS without working with it first hand. This is not a virus, scan it yourself.
Thank you,
-Liz Phillips and the Bettafish Team.

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by bettafish:
the development of Neo is not based on Flash. The website is made in Flash. Neo is constructed on the Red Globe architecture. Again, if anyone is interested in trying it out, ask. But do not attempt to imply false implications of the OS without working with it first hand. This is not a virus, scan it yourself.
Thank you,
Red Globe FS yields nothing in Google, and yet you state you use it. This either means a) you made it or b) you made it up.

I go with b) because if you could write a full fledged file system, an OS might be easier to believe you making. But, seeing as we have terrible hackjob screen shots and a flash animation only a simpleton could admire, I vote you as being someone with too much goddamn time on their hands.

"Do I need to draw a diagram for you then to tell you that nerdy 16-17 year olds, fat chicks and old men turn my crank then? Will you understand it then or don't you follow still chris." - Landos Mustache

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2004, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by bettafish:
Thank you,
Fucking lunatic.
weird wabbit

bettafish
Jan 6, 2004, 07:58 PM

by the way, **** you theolin. **** u and goodbye
-liz phillips

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2004, 08:19 PM

What, not locked yet?
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

JellyBeen
Senior User
Jan 6, 2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
What, not locked yet?
Wow, so much hatred and resentement....
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 08:35 PM

bettafish, you are by far my favorite new member. I can't wait to see a little lock by your name. You are crazy! It's awesome!!!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2004, 09:01 PM

We haven't had this kind of pure, downhome entertainment since KH went off on window compositing, way back when. If I were mod, my banhammer'd be a-swingin, but that's just me.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2004, 11:52 PM

Yeah... isn't it a requirement that to be considered an OS the code does not need someone else's underlying structure (running on top of Win98).

Interesting that you could build a emulator, but I see no purpose for this on a mac forum.
------

One question: why?

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 11:55 PM

Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2004, 07:36 AM

Why you one scold another?

The Windows UI is horrible, it's good that someone is working on a replacement.

One suggestion - is there any possibility of you writing your own window server so you could launch the environment from DOS, or a DOS clone so users could avoid Windows all-together.
In vino veritas.

Cipher13
Jan 7, 2004, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by undotwa:
Why you one scold another?

The Windows UI is horrible, it's good that someone is working on a replacement.

One suggestion - is there any possibility of you writing your own window server so you could launch the environment from DOS, or a DOS clone so users could avoid Windows all-together.
It isn't that simple; Windows isn't just a GUI, as you imply; it ties into the hardware (drivers), handles memory, and so forth...

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2004, 10:06 AM

it ****ing is made in flash
http://www.geocities.com/bettafish2000/neo5.jpg
THAT SCROLL BAR IS FROM FLASH
and the look of the vectors screams flash's rendering

http://www.geocities.com/bettafish2000/neo5login.jpg
those buttons are nicked from flash

SEE ITS GOT THE SAME SCROLLBARS!
http://mongoose.ascorbic.com/neoOSis...anditsshit.png

He's taking you all for a ride, either that or hes just like the Babya System guy and too stupid to realise hes doing nothing

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2004, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by sushiism:
it ****ing is made in flash
http://www.geocities.com/bettafish2000/neo5.jpg
THAT SCROLL BAR IS FROM FLASH
and the look of the vectors screams flash's rendering

http://www.geocities.com/bettafish2000/neo5login.jpg
those buttons are nicked from flash

SEE ITS GOT THE SAME SCROLLBARS!
http://mongoose.ascorbic.com/neoOSis...anditsshit.png

He's taking you all for a ride, either that or hes just like the Babya System guy and too stupid to realise hes doing nothing
Actually, I think some of this realised this a while ago, Flash scrollbars or not. The little f**ker is just a kid with some serious problems having the ability to wank around here for a bit BECAUSE THE FU'CKING MODERATORS ARE TOO LAZY TO CLOSE THESE ASSININE THREADS.
weird wabbit

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2004, 10:51 AM

How do I save this thread for posterity ? HAhaha !. Classic.

billy_2004 - you have far too much time on your hands. Why not put your energies into something more productive, like finding a cure for AIDS or cancer, or the solution to world peace ? Just a suggestion....

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2004, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
It isn't that simple; Windows isn't just a GUI, as you imply; it ties into the hardware (drivers), handles memory, and so forth...
As far as I remember, Windows 95 was basically just a program running on top of DOS, with DOS doing all the deep down stuff...

a holck
Senior User
Jan 7, 2004, 11:54 AM

From AI:

"Okay, I will be honest. The reason I am building this Operating System is because I cannot stand OS X. OS X needs to be whiped from the face of the earth(and all your hard disks). What we are creating at Bettafish Inc is a revolutionary new File System called Red Globe. RG is the way to the future of computing, simply because it supports multiplatform operation. Do not judge me from the other posts at MacNN, they dont appreciate me and my work, and I know you fine people will. I can tell by your attitudes that your way better people. And I trust you all to support me in my cause to bring down OS X, and globalize Neo OS.
-Liz Phillips"

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Black Book:
As far as I remember, Windows 95 was basically just a program running on top of DOS, with DOS doing all the deep down stuff...
That's not true of any of the WinNT line (Windows NT/2K/XP/2003), and not entirely true of Windows 95/98/ME. There was a lot of stuff in Windows 95 (like Direct X) which were not provided by DOS but were fundamental.

Besides, since DOS was part of the Windows name then, calling the whole thing an OS was appropriate.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by a holck:
"And I trust you all to support me in my cause to bring down OS X, and globalize Neo OS.
-Liz Phillips"

This just screams paranoia, not to mention ignorance. Does she really think Mac forii members are the best audience for an OS X takedown? Like we really need ANOTHER OS. Why doesn't she/he/it just write a window manager for Linux?

Forum Links
Forum Rules