Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > NYC airport transport and others

NYC airport transport and others
simonjames
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 05:16 PM

I'll be in NYC early May for a couple of days and would love some info on getting around and buying things.

Anyone have any opinions of where to stay in either SoHo or the Village? Being a citizen of a poor currency country I don't want to spend too much - max $150USD per night.

I arrive JFK and leave Newark - I've heard the taxi costs are around $50 to get to or from either airport. Is paying double ($100) for a limo worth it? As far as I can see for that money you get a town car only and so I can't see the sense in paying double for the ride.

And does anyone know of a reliable camera shop with online purchasing that has international guarantees? Cameras are so much cheaper in the States.

Any pointers will be rewarded with Aussie beer! (if we can touch base that is)
this sig intentionally left blank

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2004, 05:50 PM

i dont think taxis are that much. i thought there was a flat rate to the airports that is something around $20. not totally sure, but i was under that assumption.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2004, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
i dont think taxis are that much. i thought there was a flat rate to the airports that is something around $20. not totally sure, but i was under that assumption.
I believe that the rates are going up: the price will be $35.

OH-N'omac
Mar 31, 2004, 06:01 PM

Taxi from Kennedy to Manhattan will be flat rate of $45 based on the newly approved rates. The limo isn't worth the extra, not if you're trying to make you're money last.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2004, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by OH-N'omac:
Taxi from Kennedy to Manhattan will be flat rate of $45 based on the newly approved rates.
Thank you high gas prices.

Wasn't there a hostel in Manhattan that's really cheap?

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 06:31 PM

If you don't mind public transportation, you can get from Manhattan to JFK airport for $7.
http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 07:05 PM

I am finding hotels in NYC really expensive (by Australian standards). Even something simple like a Holiday Inn is around $200USD.

OH-N'omac
Mar 31, 2004, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by simonjames:
I am finding hotels in NYC really expensive (by Australian standards). Even something simple like a Holiday Inn is around $200USD.
Try Newark, Hoboken, or Jersey City in NJ. You'll pay about half as much. Make sure that you get someplace close to a PATH station if you choose this route. Commute to midtown Manhattan is anywhere between 15 and 30 minutes depending on what station you're leaving from.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2004, 07:41 PM

i flew into JFK earlier this year and decided spend my 4 hour stopover in a taxi driving around manhattan. it cost $35 there and $35 back.

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2004, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:
http://www.bigapplehostel.com/

I've never been to it myself, but the price is within your budget and it's right between Rockefeller Center and Times Square!

Try this link, too: http://www.hostels.com/en/us.ny.ny.html

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2004, 12:56 PM

There should be at least a few options cheaper than $150 per night without subjecting yourself to staying in a hostel where you'd be sharing a bathroom with strangers.

Try www.hotels.com. I'm generally not a fan of the expedia/orbitz/hotwire sites, but I've gotten some great rates at hotels.com. I've specifically gotten deals for the Milford Plaza (45th/8th) and the Travel Inn (42nd between 9th/10th).

Other than that, check out the Super 8 on 46th between 5th & 6th. It's clean and nice enough, better than many other Super 8s around the country. www.super8.com When I did a sample search for a few days in early May, they gave a "comfortable room w/ 2 double beds" suitable for up to 4 adults, for $129 per night. I've heard good things about the Howard Johnson's on 8th ave, but I'm not familiar with their rates.

Lastly, give the Broadway Inn a call. www.broadwayinn.com They're basically a small bed & breakfast located in the heart of the theater district. They may be able to work something out with you.

Best of luck!

-Josh

(From Pgh but now residing in NYC.)

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2004, 05:00 PM

thanks - excellent advice

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2004, 05:07 PM

For transportation, you might want to look into Zipcar.

http://www.zipcar.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules