Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Question 4 Aussies - Airport & TPG ADSL

Question 4 Aussies - Airport & TPG ADSL
simonjames
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 06:38 PM

Hi

has anyone had any problems or success with connecting a TPG ADSL connection through an Airport Extreme basestation? I am about to buy one but I've heard a couple of horror stories where TPG just abandoned the Mac customer.

I've had no problem with the connection - works just fine into my old G4 tower.

cheers

Simon
this sig intentionally left blank

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2004, 08:45 PM

Na, you'll be right.. Most ISPs tho are stupid when it comes to mac support..

Make sure you get an ethernet modem NOT a usb one..

Also do you visit us here? ----> http://whirlpool.net.au/ lotsa helpful peeps in the mac section and also in the specific ISP forums

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jun 21, 2004, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:
Hi

has anyone had any problems or success with connecting a TPG ADSL connection through an Airport Extreme basestation? I am about to buy one but I've heard a couple of horror stories where TPG just abandoned the Mac customer.

cheers

Simon
Simon, I haven't used TPG or Airport Extreme basestation myself, but I have heard negative comments about TPG before.

I am a member of a professional association, and a few years ago (i.e. dialup connection days) TPG was the preferred supplier for the members my association. I recalled in the editorial section of one of the newsletter, a member wrote and complain the poor service of TPG, and questioned why the association so actively promoted TPG as the preferred supplier of internet services, when the service is unacceptable to the members' expectation. Not long after that letter published the association dropped TPG as the preferred supplier.

Recently I came across some other users using TPG ADSL service, and the comments was not favourable...

Fillman
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2004, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:
Hi

cheers

Simon
I'm hooked up to TPG via Airport Extreme, a DSL300 Ethernet modem. We have a PB12" and an iMac hooked wirelessly to the Airport and a G3 beige and a laser wired by ethernet cable. Most of the time it works perfectly.

However......

Sometimes the link drops out to TPG and we reset the modem and the airport and it comes back first time most times. This happens maybe once every coupla weeks.

More frequently Mail.app forgets its password on the tpg acount and it sits there unlinnked until cancelled. Don't know if this is tpg or mail.app but i suspect the former.

Otherwise it works really good. Had TPG ADSL 512kb for six months and still happy.
- Earth First - We'll mine the rest of the planets later

Forum Links
Forum Rules