Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 1.5 15" : Upgrading ATI mobility ram from 64 to 128 ?

PB 1.5 15" : Upgrading ATI mobility ram from 64 to 128 ?
DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2004, 12:03 PM

I have a 1.5 15" with 64mb of ram on the ATI MOBILITY gfx card. Is it possible to purchase ram and upgrade this card to 128mb myself ? Apple sell both models.Thanks in advance.
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

Fiend
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2004, 12:06 PM

As far as I know, as in most laptop motherboards for any brand, the video card is embeded on said motherboard. You would have to replace the entire thing. You can't just add video memory.

DevNine  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2004, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Fiend:
As far as I know, as in most laptop motherboards for any brand, the video card is embeded on said motherboard. You would have to replace the entire thing. You can't just add video memory.
Thanks for the reply. Apple offer two versions of the 15" powerbook.As regards the gfx card offered, both are the same card but with 64mb or 128mb or ram. I doubt Apple would make two different motherboards for the same machine, I imagine/hope the extra 64mb of ram can be added. Anyone verify this ?

"ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM (available with 128MB as BTO option on 1.5GHz configurations"
( Last edited by DevNine; Sep 23, 2004 at 12:23 PM. )
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2004, 12:30 PM

you might be able to if you are really, really, really good at soldering.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

Fiend
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by DevNine:
Thanks for the reply. Apple offer two versions of the 15" powerbook.As regards the gfx card offered, both are the same card but with 64mb or 128mb or ram. I doubt Apple would make two different motherboards for the same machine, I imagine/hope the extra 64mb of ram can be added. Anyone verify this ?

"ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM (available with 128MB as BTO option on 1.5GHz configurations"
Correct, that is what Apple offers. However, they have a batch of 64mb motherboard and 128mb motherboards. I'm almost positive that Apple doesn't solder on another 64mb or remove the current chip and add a 128mb when you order. They simply use the other motherboard.

khisayruou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 01:08 PM

I am almost certain that the grfxs is soldered onto the board.
It wasn't meant to be upgradable/swappable like computers are.

you are going to have to switch out the entire motherboard,
I think EdipisReks is making a huge understatment as to soldering skills...
Its going to be very tough to go that route.

meatyocre
Sep 23, 2004, 01:09 PM

Many people have asked this in the past. Apple offers this as a BTO option for a reason and isn't end user upgradeable. People who want to upgrade have one option sell their machine and get another. If you do find someone to hack a 128mb video into your machine you will probably void your apple care.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2004, 02:19 PM

If you didn't order it with 128MB, then you're stuck. There is no upgrade for it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules