Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Vinyl to iPod?

Vinyl to iPod?
karent
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2005, 09:42 AM

DH listend to band in the 80's called The Skip Castro Band. He claims he's the only person in the world with Skip Castro on his ipod since the band never had and CD's, just vinyl. He paid someone to digitize the music for him.

Anyone else have similar stories? or (2) What is the best/least expensive method of getting vinyl to your ipod? (3) What in your vinyl collection is worth digitizing that's not available yet on CD?

k-

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by karent
DH listend to band in the 80's called The Skip Castro Band. He claims he's the only person in the world with Skip Castro on his ipod since the band never had and CD's, just vinyl. He paid someone to digitize the music for him.

Anyone else have similar stories? or (2) What is the best/least expensive method of getting vinyl to your ipod? (3) What in your vinyl collection is worth digitizing that's not available yet on CD?

k-
Get an input device like a Grfiffin imic, a program like Spin Doctor, and input it from your stereo. edit, I supppose you only need an imic if you don't have an audio line in like I don't have on my ibook.

so....audio in, spin doctor, ipod. Something like that.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Jun 28, 2005, 12:39 PM

k-
I use AudioX. The version that I have creates .mov files. Connect your turntable with the line in of your mac, play/record the music, import the .mov into iTunes and convert to mp3.

I have converted a lot of my old tapes like this. Sounds great.

JMII
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2005, 01:52 PM

A guy I work with used Garage Band to handle the importing of his record collection. The only thing he needed to buy was a phono adaptor for his Powerbook. He got the part at Radio Shack for like $3.

iceage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2005, 08:40 AM

Sound Studio came free with many Mac computers - it records as an AIFF file and then in iTunes Preferences set your preferred importing choice ( ie WAV , MP3 , AAC or other ). Now by holding down the Option key click on Advanced in the toolbar , click on Convert to and convert your chosen audio file . If you need a cheap audio interface one choice to consider is Transit by M-Audio . As far as the best goes - my vote would be for Soundtrack Pro by Apple .

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2005, 10:01 AM

I have Griffin iMic input device. It comes with software to do exactly what you describe.

Vinyl records are recorded using a special equalization scheme (Called the RIAA curve, and named before the RIAA became a four-letter word. ) Although you can probably get adequate results by just piping the record player output directly to the computer and recording the audio, The software that comes with the iMic will apply the RIAA curve in reverse to get something that sounds better on today's equipment.

Edit: After a bit of googling around, I find that this RIAA curve stuff really only applies to the direct output of a turntable. If you hook the turntable to a stereo amplifier's phono input, and then hook the line output to your computer, then you probably don't need it, since the amp will know how to compensate anything on the phono input. But if all you have is a turntable and no amplifier handy, then you'll need to compensate for the RIAA curve.
( Last edited by dreilly1; Jul 4, 2005 at 10:08 AM. )

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

bjleiderman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2005, 12:48 PM

karent,

Could you "introduce" me to DH? I'm friends of the band from my college days. Just saw them play in my hometown Virginia Beach (yeah, all 4 guys!), but didn't think to ask them about digital "Boogie At Midnight".

If you can help thanks!
-BJ Leiderman

k-

Forum Links
Forum Rules