Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > unplugging powermac results in prohibited sign at startup....

unplugging powermac results in prohibited sign at startup....
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2005, 05:44 AM

hi

everytime after have I unplugged my powermac from the mains - and start it up it gives me the circle with the line through it

could this be the battery on the motherboard?

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

crooner
Senior User
Aug 14, 2005, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by rich82fox
hi

everytime after have I unplugged my powermac from the mains - and start it up it gives me the circle with the line through it

rich
Not exactly sure what you mean.

Are you saying that normally, it starts up fine, but after powering down, unplugging the power cord (from the wall or from the back of the Mac?), then re-plugging and restarting you get the ø sign?

What happens on the next restart?

Also, first questions last...

What model Mac and what version of the Mac OS?

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by crooner
Not exactly sure what you mean.

Are you saying that normally, it starts up fine, but after powering down, unplugging the power cord (from the wall or from the back of the Mac?), then re-plugging and restarting you get the ø sign?
yep - that's exactly what happens

and on next restart same thing - I have to boot from a cd - select Macintosh HD in startup disk-and then it will boot up normally

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2005, 03:26 PM

Try booting from the OS X CD and running a Permissions Repair from Disk Utility.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

JMII
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2005, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by rich82fox
Sounds like it to me. Is the date & time wrong when it boots up? That is usually the easiest way to tell if it's the battery. Well... that's provided your Mac is NOT using an internet time server to sync the clock.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2005, 12:29 PM

You could have a failing HD. The drive may not be starting up quickly enough when it goes without all power.

Is it the stock HD? If not, back up your data, stop unplugging it, and use sleep mode instead of shutting down.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2005, 01:14 PM

My general experience is that the pram batteries are good for 4-5 years. How old is your Power Mac?

Also, you can hold down the option key on startup to select the boot drive.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by JMII
Is the date & time wrong when it boots up?
glad you mentioned this

this is a problem I have been having on my iMac 333, iMac DV, iBook DV and PowerMac G3

does that mean it's definently the battery?

thanx in advance

rich

Forum Links
Forum Rules