Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Suitcase X1 System Font Mismanaged!!!!

Suitcase X1 System Font Mismanaged!!!!
noralynnleech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2005, 04:13 PM

Hi,
I was just installing Suitcase X1 for the first time on my work computer (mac G4-Panther 10.3.9). During the setup, I went under the tool menu, the manage system font menu and proceeded to check all of my system fonts. I clicked apply, got a message from suitcase that it was "moving fonts". Now this is where the trouble appears, Suitcase crashed. Most of my system fonts disappeared. So I went on a coworkers computer and copied his system>library>font folder and his library>font folder. I try to replace them on my hardrive, the library>font folder copied over fine but the system>library>font folder will not copy, I get a message saying I do not have permission to change the system folder. The system>library>font folder is partially there, but missing some fonts.
So I re-installed Suitcase and I tried to manage my system fonts again. I can manage my local system fonts (library>font folder) but not the system fonts in the system>library>font folder. The ones I do still have show up in my suitcase menu grayed out and I cannot chose them.
Does anyone know a way to fix this?

Thanks,
Nora

JMII
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2005, 06:09 PM

I've had alot of problems with Suitcase (version 11.0 or X1) too. We never got the "manage system fonts" thing to work either that option caused all kinds of crashes on our G5 workstations running Tiger and various design apps (Quark, InDesign, ect)

So we just did it the old fashion way by relocating all the un-needed system fonts out of System folder.

The only fonts you must have in that folder (as far as I can tell) are:
AppleGothic.dfont
Helvetica.dfont
Geneva.dfont
Courier.dfont
Monaco.dfont
LucidaGrande.dfont
LastResort.dfont
Keyboard.dfont

To copy the fonts in and out of the system you might need to boot into safe mode as this will keep Suitcase from launching. Next trash Suitcases' preferrences (all of them!) because once these become corupt (from a Suitcase crash) your screwed - the database Suitcase uses to track the fonts will be unrecoverable and it will just continue to crash or claim fonts are "in use" or something to that effect.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2005, 06:14 PM

Linotype Fontexplorer is free and 10x better than suitcase
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

JMII
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2005, 10:24 PM

Well I gave the Linotype app a try and it doesn't work with our particular work flow. When adding new fonts that are duplicates of fonts you've already imported the application forces you to use either the new fonts OR the old ones, but it will not allow you to keep both (even if one is deactivated). Suitcase allows this as long as the fonts are in seperate sets/locations (IE: a set for customer "A" and a set for customer "B" can both contain Helvetica). Apparently the Linotype apps uses a common library system and that doesn't allow for two copies of Helvetica regardless of where they reside. Too bad since its free.

gadster
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 07:21 AM

; ) hold opt and click activate.
e-gads

JMII
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by gadster
; ) hold opt and click activate.
That works fine for Suitcase but not for Linotype. I can't even add a 2nd set of fonts into the Linotype app because "Helvetica already exists" or something to that effect.

Forum Links
Forum Rules