Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Replacing HD question?

Replacing HD question?
chizle97
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 10:23 AM

My Hard drive paniced again. Same thing that happened to me last time my HD fried. same error message and everything.I need to get it working as quick as possible and im not waiting 2 weeks to do something i could do myself in 3 days, so im just gonna buy a 2.5" hitach travelstar 7200 100 G and use the guide on Ifixit to replace it. Now if i do this i assume it wil invalidate my apple care. If it does and i still need something else fixed could i just put the original hd back in and take it in for service?
Word

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2006, 10:52 AM

You might want to tell us what Mac you have... if it's a 12" PB then you'll need lots of luck in doing any work inside it.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2006, 11:30 AM

I changed the HD on my 17" powerbook and it was a nightmare. I had no problem on previous models, but the Alu-book was incredibly difficult. Everything is so small and tightly packed inside that my fingers seemed two sizes too big. Once I finally got the old one out, I had to walk away and save the installation for the next day. When I finally finished I vowed never to try to perform this microsurgery again.

glhart
Oct 11, 2006, 11:50 AM

I've changed the HD in several Aluminum powerbooks, including the 12" and the 15". It's not that hard, but you need to be extremely careful. 1. Be sure to have the correct tools. 2. Get the service manuals and follow every step -- do not attempt shortcuts. 3. Make sure you keep track of every screw and where it goes (I tape them to the service manual directions). 4. Be very careful of the wires, especially in the 12" -- they need to be routed carefully. 5. NEVER force anything -- e.g. if the keyboard on the 12" isn't coming off easily, you haven't released one of the screws. This is why you need to use the service manual. 6. Be sure to carefully disconnect the connections and then reconnect them when you reassemble. If you forget to reconnect, you have to disassemble all over again.

This is actually pretty easy, believe it or not. You just have to be careful and methodical.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2006, 12:31 PM

If you've got a Ti, then go for it. So it all depends on what you've got, and we're all speculating here on no evidence.

If you've got anything else, you're better off having CompUSA do it for $30. Mainly because it won't void your Applecare.

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by amazing
If you've got a Ti, then go for it. So it all depends on what you've got, and we're all speculating here on no evidence.

If you've got anything else, you're better off having CompUSA do it for $30. Mainly because it won't void your Applecare.
You will not void applecare if you install your own drive.
And installing the drive is not so hard. You need patience and a steady hand

chipchen
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2006, 06:42 PM

MrNo, careful there...

TECHNICALLY, anytime a computer is opened up outside of an Apple Authorized Service Provider (and by opened up I mean getting inside it, not just installing RAM), and/or done by a non-certified technician... the warranty agreement is void.

NOW, whether they will know or not, that's another thing.

If you do a great job and it needs to go in for something else, no big deal, you coulda had the hard drive swapped by an AASP somewhere.

If it's still under warranty, take it to an AASP (not an Apple Store), bring them the new drive, and have them put in the new drive as they take out the old. Request the new drive back (so you have a stock configuration)... and buy a FireWire enclosure for it to use as an external drive.

chizle97  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2006, 09:07 AM

Sorry about that. I have a 15" aluminum powerbook. I tried to do it last night with the help of the ifixit.com tutorial and all was going really well until i realized the boot disk was stuck in it . I currently have no clue what the comand line is to eject a disk or if you can even do that. As of right now im almost at the point of taking it in to capital mac (the local richmond mac store) and having them work it out since i have little to no time with school. im just always hesitant to spend money on service. and dont feel like driving and hour to the apple store only to have them send it aways for another two weeks. Anyway If anyone has any more help that would be great. Thanks to all those who have given advice so far as well.

thanks

chizle
Word

ibook_steve
Oct 23, 2006, 01:26 PM

You mean a disk is stuck in the optical drive? Does it not show up on the desktop? Reboot and hold the trackpad button down to eject at boot or go into open firmware at boot (hold cmd-option-o-f) and type "eject cd" and hit return. If it still doesn't come out, you've got other issues. There is plenty discussion here about ejecting troublesome disks. Search is your friend.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules