Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro VS. Pavement

MacBook Pro VS. Pavement
sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2007, 09:19 PM

I still feel sick.

I was leaving my studio today and as I walked out the door I felt my camera/laptop bag get lighter and heard a nauseating thud. It struck the pavement on the back right-hand side corner. The case is bent to hell, there is no way I could get a DVI cable to plug in now. Every thing seems to work, except the Superdrive makes a lot of noise and probably will need replaced. My question is, does anyone have any idea how much I might be looking at to have the Superdrive, bottom case and top plate ( the speaker grille with the power button is bent to hell also ) might cost me in the end? I am slightly OCD, and the one scratch this computer had used to bug the heck out of me, this will keep me up tonight.

I hope everyone else is having a better day.
SAm

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2007, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by sknapp351 View Post
I still feel sick.

I was leaving my studio today and as I walked out the door I felt my camera/laptop bag get lighter and heard a nauseating thud. It struck the pavement on the back right-hand side corner. The case is bent to hell, there is no way I could get a DVI cable to plug in now. Every thing seems to work, except the Superdrive makes a lot of noise and probably will need replaced. My question is, does anyone have any idea how much I might be looking at to have the Superdrive, bottom case and top plate ( the speaker grille with the power button is bent to hell also ) might cost me in the end? I am slightly OCD, and the one scratch this computer had used to bug the heck out of me, this will keep me up tonight.

I hope everyone else is having a better day.
SAm
It would be covered by Safeware.com insurance (no deductable) or homeowners after deductable!

Otherwise about $1100

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2007, 10:54 PM

From Apple? $300-350 for the SuperDrive, $1000ish for the case.
Third party? $100 for the SuperDrive, $700ish for the case.

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2007, 05:04 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations on which third party vendors I should consider or shy away from? I would just live with my screw up, but the Superdrive appears fubar'd.
SAm

And I will be looking into Safeware soon.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2007, 06:45 PM

Do you have the 15" or the 17" If the 15", which revision? It may be difficult to find the ultra-low profile drive for the Core Duo 15".

CompUSA will do the optical drive swap for $30. Experiences are mixed; hope you find a CompUSA store with a good Mac tech.

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2007, 07:47 AM

I have the 15" Rev. A ( I believe ). I looked into a company called PowerBook Medic and they quoted about $770. I can't help but think that since I am approaching the cost of a MacBook that it might just be worth getting an external drive.
I also wondered how difficult it would be to open this one up to attempt to bend the case back a bit closer to normal. I have worked as a computer tech and worked on plenty of desktops, but only adding ram to laptops. I assume that any warranty I had on this computer is gone now. I had intended on purchasing AppleCare in the next couple of weeks.

SAm

Macjunkie117
Jan 5, 2007, 08:06 AM

damn dude that sucks. if you look around, i'm sure you can find some of that stuff for fairly decent prices, and if not, you could definitely bend the case back to some degree of usability depending on how bad it is. i myself would say that you should consider yourself VERY lucky the screen didn't crack...then you'd be FUBAR'd

i have a case top for a powerbook g4 17" 1ghz, but i don't think that would help you much..
oh welll
if you have any interest in selling the thing, lemme know.

thanks

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2007, 10:30 AM

You can find the top and bottom case on ebay.
The top case is about $200 or you can try to hunt one down for cheaper.
I had to replace mine.
This guy has the top case:
eBay Store - Computer Doctors: Parts, Services

Good luck and I am sorry about your laptop

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2007, 10:39 AM

MrNo,
Did you replace it yourself? I am willing to try this, but I want to hear from other people if it is a nightmare, or just tricky first.
SAm

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 10:52 AM

Try www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/ and iFixit - iBook & PowerBook Parts for take-apart guides and parts. (N.B. I haven't purchased anything from them, but the guides are useful, regardless).

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2007, 10:54 AM

Holy Crap.
Just saw instructions on changing the logic board. I wouldn't hesitate if this was just an old computer I was trying to get going, but this is my only machine. I will probably change the superdrive myself, and try to bend the top case back into a slightly more normal shape, but I don't think I want to mess with the lower case.
SAm

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2007, 12:40 PM

Yes I did replace the top case and the HD myself. I've also opened the superdrive since I had a thick DVD that would not eject.
It was not hard, but it does require patience.
I got the top case brand new for $60 from the same store I pointed out earlier. He has auctions for the top cases sometimes, and they start at about 10$. Much cheaper the the buy it now option.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2007, 10:46 PM

It might be worth paying the deductable

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2007, 11:48 PM

Sadly, there is no deductable for me to pay. The responsability, physical and financial, is all mine.
Sam

iRye
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 11:59 PM

Wow, did MacBook Pro's get less durable? I have a 12 incdh Powerbook G4 and I dropped it on the side with all the ports, they all still work, the SuperDr=ive still works, and there isn't any scratches.

I still hate the fact i dropped my baby.
No ice, no mixer, just RYE!!!

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2007, 07:24 AM

Did it land just on the corner? If not, its a totally different scenario. If it lands on a corner, the pressure of the impact is focussed on a tiny surface area and the potential for failure is going to be significantly higher. Also, corners and edges are weak points in any casing, no matter what it is made of, so if you drop something like a laptop, you better hope it lands flat on its base or top over landing on its edge over landing on a corner.

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007, 10:31 AM

I'm about 6'1" and the laptop fell from a computer backpack that was slung over my shoulder. So it fell about 4.5 feet and landed directly on the rear right hand corner, on the back side where the monitor hinge is near the power button. It took a major hit, then bounced a couple of times. I am quite amazed that it survived as much as it did.
SAm

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2007, 12:09 PM

Sadly, there is no deductable for me to pay. The responsability, physical and financial, is all mine.
Sam
I'm sorry...!? You must not be American. Did I just see that you wrote that is was your own responsibility?! Not suing the bag manufacturer? Not suing the company that laid the asphalt or whatever it was that was hit by your computer? Not suing Apple for that whole gravity/apple/Isaac Newton thing??

Sorry, just being facetious, but admissions of responsibility are unusual in this day and age.

And I don't mean to mock your pain. Many years ago I dropped my wife's 8 month old 600MHz G3 iBook onto the tile kitchen floor. Fell from counter height and landed flat on the DVD drive side edge. The bottom case cracked and the DVD drive latch broke so the drive wouldn't stay closed (though surprisingly it would still work if held closed). Since my wife wasn't happy with the piece of electrical tape holding the drive shut, I had it sent out for repair. Had the drive upgraded from a DVD-ROM to a combo CDRW while I was at it. $600 for the repair and the upgrade - 50% of what I originally paid for the machine. Argh.

Sued the bastards who built the kitchen counter so damn high off the ground. Just kidding.

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 7, 2007, 12:31 PM

sad story!
Once I tripped on the power cable and threw my powerbook titanium about 2 meters away...
I almost cried...

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 11:24 PM

Sam

Your homeowners policy covers accidents after deductable,

Safeware covers it with no deductable!

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 03:39 AM

I had intended on purchasing AppleCare in the next couple of weeks.

SAm
Applecare gives you a new laptop or replaces your whole case if you drop the thing on pavement and break it???

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
Your homeowners policy covers accidents after deductable,

Safeware covers it with no deductable!
I am a college student renting a small apartment. I do not have homeowners insurance or renters insurance. And I am a butthead for not having Safeware.

Applecare gives you a new laptop or replaces your whole case if you drop the thing on pavement and break it???
No, I'm sure they don't cover drops. I was just lamenting my loss of warranty and kinda glad that I didn't purchase the $200+ warranty to just lose that.

SAm

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 05:37 PM

I am a college student renting a small apartment. I do not have homeowners insurance or renters insurance. And I am a butthead for not having Safeware.

No, I'm sure they don't cover drops. I was just lamenting my loss of warranty and kinda glad that I didn't purchase the $200+ warranty to just lose that.

SAm

Try your parent's homeowner insurance.... you probably are still covered!

Applecare is transferable to new computer if you replace it through Genuis Bar!

But Safeware is definately a better bet!

kick52
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 05:43 PM

could we have some pics please?

this isnt helping, i just wanna see your smashed-up MBP. haha

good luck.

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2007, 06:17 PM

i dont get these horrid repair costs....
MBP 2.4, 2gb, 8600GT, 120gb 7200rpm; white iPhone 3G

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2007, 06:01 PM

Here are a couple of pics. I managed to bend it back quite a bit without opening it up.
SAm

hatim
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2007, 07:16 PM

sell it on ebay and buy a new one if you are so paranoid. Or just use a screwdriver to bend the bit blocking the DVI into place.

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2007, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by hatim View Post
buy a new one if you are so paranoid.
I didn't think I was being paranoid in any way. I was happy with as much as I was able to bend it back.
SAm

schwie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 01:42 AM

Sam,

My son pulled my wife's brand new MacBook Pro off of the desk a month after she got it. Why didn't MagSafe work?! Argh.

Anyway, her top case and bottom case were bent about a full INCH out of place. To fix the case and make it similar to the way it was when she first got it, I placed a thin dish cloth over the areas I wanted to fix. Then, with a metal spoon (I used regular silverware), I lightly tapped out all the creases and dents. It took about 45 minutes, but it looks very nice again.

A new bottom case and top case will cost far more than you ought to put into this machine (in my opinion). Try the spoon! What have you got to lose?

Brad
( Last edited by schwie; Jan 11, 2007 at 01:43 AM. Reason: ** I saw your pictures ** This would be an easy fix with the towel and spoons. Go for it!)

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 11, 2007, 06:55 AM

holy cop!
Those pics are like a snuffed dog on the street! horror!

I agree with trying to bend it yourself. If you're carefull, you may bet it sorted, you have nothing to lose.

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
I'm sorry...!? You must not be American. Did I just see that you wrote that is was your own responsibility?! Not suing the bag manufacturer? Not suing the company that laid the asphalt or whatever it was that was hit by your computer? Not suing Apple for that whole gravity/apple/Isaac Newton thing??

Sorry, just being facetious, but admissions of responsibility are unusual in this day and age.
LOL! So true.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by schwie View Post
Sam,

Anyway, her top case and bottom case were bent about a full INCH out of place. To fix the case and make it similar to the way it was when she first got it, I placed a thin dish cloth over the areas I wanted to fix. Then, with a metal spoon (I used regular silverware), I lightly tapped out all the creases and dents. It took about 45 minutes, but it looks very nice again.

A new bottom case and top case will cost far more than you ought to put into this machine (in my opinion). Try the spoon! What have you got to lose?

Brad
"There is no spoon!" SCNR...

Seriously though, that's a good hint. You pressed the dents out, right? I have a tiny dent/bubble in one corner, to open all the case for it would be overkill. But I will try to press it in form again. Have any pics?

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

schwie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
"There is no spoon!" SCNR...

Seriously though, that's a good hint. You pressed the dents out, right? I have a tiny dent/bubble in one corner, to open all the case for it would be overkill. But I will try to press it in form again. Have any pics?

Regards
PB.

Whoa!!! No, don't PRESS. Slap the back of the spoon against the portions that are bulging out. Several hundred little taps will eventually get it back to where you want it.

By all means though, DO NOT PRESS. It will just crease the aluminum.
( Last edited by schwie; Jan 11, 2007 at 04:26 PM. Reason: I don't have any pics, because my wife took her MacBook Pro with to India... When you slap the spoon, use a towel.)

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2007, 05:06 PM

I had that happen to my first PowerBook. I took the bottom case off (wasn't too dificult) and I placed a little piece of leather on the part that was bent. I then used a small ball peen hammer and tapped it lightly into place. After I was done, you couldn't even tell it had been bent.

You can then get some Conceal aluminum scratch paint and finish it off.

You'll still have to replace the superdrive, but that's pretty easy, too. My brother replaced his in about 10 minutes.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2007, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by schwie View Post
By all means though, DO NOT PRESS. It will just crease the aluminum.
Whoops! Okay, no pressing. Now that you say it, IIRC the aluminum density changes when pressing, so one never gets the material structure back...

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Sliv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2007, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I had that happen to my first PowerBook. I took the bottom case off (wasn't too dificult) and I placed a little piece of leather on the part that was bent. I then used a small ball peen hammer and tapped it lightly into place. After I was done, you couldn't even tell it had been bent.

You can then get some Conceal aluminum scratch paint and finish it off.

You'll still have to replace the superdrive, but that's pretty easy, too. My brother replaced his in about 10 minutes.
Regarding the conceal paint, is it available in stores?

Black_Rain
Jan 14, 2007, 10:26 AM

sorry to hear about the mbp... its always a shame... too bad magsafe does not protect againts that lol

anyway... get yourself a wireless router!!

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2007, 11:25 AM

That photo was taken at my studio. The University does not allow for individual wireless routers. I guess they consider it a security risk. At home I have been wireless for years, wouldn't have it otherwise.
SAm

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
Now that you say it, IIRC the aluminum density changes when pressing, so one never gets the material structure back...
No, the density doesn't change.

iRye
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Did it land just on the corner? If not, its a totally different scenario. If it lands on a corner, the pressure of the impact is focussed on a tiny surface area and the potential for failure is going to be significantly higher. Also, corners and edges are weak points in any casing, no matter what it is made of, so if you drop something like a laptop, you better hope it lands flat on its base or top over landing on its edge over landing on a corner.
It was right on the corner.
No ice, no mixer, just RYE!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules