Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best deal on 2gb RAM?

Best deal on 2gb RAM?
Fusion
Senior User
Apr 9, 2007, 04:21 PM

So does anyone have any tips for finding a great deal on 2gb ram sticks for MBP? I just checked crucial and they're coming in at a whopping $350! Was wonderng if I could find them cheaper somewhere?

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Apr 9, 2007, 04:45 PM

Are you looking to go for a total of 2GB using one stick or 4 GB using two sticks?

If you are going for a total of 2 GB, you can get a pair of 1 GB sticks as a kit from Newegg.com:

Newegg.com - mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Memory for Apple Notebook Model 976504A - Retail

BTW...I just checked Apple's website and the MBP only supports 3GB of RAM total.

Do a search at newegg.com for "pc5300 ddr2 notebook" and see what you think will work.
( Last edited by frdmfghtr; Apr 9, 2007 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Wrong link)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2007, 05:04 PM

Newegg has Patriot for $225, but I'd spend the $350 on Crucial.

Fusion  (op)
Senior User
Apr 9, 2007, 06:32 PM

I'm looking for 3gb total, I already have a 1gb stick in there, sorry for the lack of clarity.

mduell, Why would you spend an extra $125 for Crucial. Does Newegg not accept returns if it's faulty RAM or something?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 06:39 PM

You Pay for Quality. RAM is an integral part of your system, and quality is paramount.
Linkinus is king.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
mduell, Why would you spend an extra $125 for Crucial. Does Newegg not accept returns if it's faulty RAM or something?
The standard Newegg return policy applies to RAM.
I've had too many bag experiences with some brands of RAM (Patriot, PNY, GeiL, and G.SKILL to name a few); I stick to Crucial when the price is reasonable and Kingston when it's not.
RAM issues may not show up immediately, and they can often be difficult to diagnose if they occur infrequently. A few hours of my time in lost productivity, annoyance, and troubleshooting wipes out $125 pretty quickly. Plus it can be resold for a premium.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 9, 2007, 06:53 PM

Don't get the Newegg G.Skill, as I and several other folks found out, it's really only DDR533 (the DDR667 modules, that is).

OWC has a pretty good deal, and their return policies seem sane. But if you're paranoid, go with Crucial.

Kadman
Apr 9, 2007, 07:04 PM

I typically go with "A" brand name, but I will pretty much treat them equally. Being in the business I've ordered LOTS of ram and have had bad sticks of Crucial just as any other brand. I can usually find Kingston, OCZ, Corsair, etc. at better deals and they are of the same quality level IMO. There is nothing "magic" about Crucial over any of those above.

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2007, 08:37 PM

I am running a 1GB Patriot chip in my MPB for about a year now, and have had no problems.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kadman View Post
I typically go with "A" brand name, but I will pretty much treat them equally. Being in the business I've ordered LOTS of ram and have had bad sticks of Crucial just as any other brand. I can usually find Kingston, OCZ, Corsair, etc. at better deals and they are of the same quality level IMO. There is nothing "magic" about Crucial over any of those above.
There most definitely are differences among RAM brands and among RAM vendors. Just look at the different heat sinks on various Mac Pro ECC RAM for instance, or the DDR533 received by the poster above from NewEgg. The sound free advice, honesty, return policy, etc. make RAM from a vendor like OWC worth a few bucks more.

-Allen Wicks

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2007, 11:31 PM

Check out http://www.deamram.com
The best price for 2GB is $114.

Kadman
Apr 10, 2007, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
There most definitely are differences among RAM brands and among RAM vendors. Just look at the different heat sinks on various Mac Pro ECC RAM for instance, or the DDR533 received by the poster above from NewEgg. The sound free advice, honesty, return policy, etc. make RAM from a vendor like OWC worth a few bucks more.

-Allen Wicks
I completely agree that there are differences in manufacturers. I'm saying that there isn't a worthwhile difference between the established name brands (i.e. those I listed in my message).

Forum Links
Forum Rules