Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > hiking gear

hiking gear
simonjames
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2007, 08:42 PM

Hi

a couple of questions to our USA based hiking addicts. I am going to be in the States later this year (LA & NYC - maybe Portland too) and I am looking for a hiking gear retailer that has :-
1. a large range
2. stocks large sizes (size 14 walking boots)
3. low cost (but not low quality)
4. stocks things like this backpack

Anyone here into hiking that can give me a few pointers? Apart from the backpack and hiking boots I am after a light weight, long fitting rain jacket - probably made from goretex.

Plus - am really interested in moderate level hikes that you've found to have the best views etc. I'll be back next year to hike for about 3 weeks. When is the best time to do this? Late Fall (autumn)?

cheers

Simon
this sig intentionally left blank

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2007, 09:01 PM

REI has a lot of stuff like that, although I dont know if they exist in those states... hiking/backpacking is really big where i live so we have MANY shops like that here...

Zach

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2007, 09:11 PM

Yes, REI. They have stores in LA and NY.

REI.com: Store Locator

Enjoy your hike.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

climber
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 01:44 AM

I think a lot of your choices in boots depends on where you plan to go hiking. Based on the pack you pointed to, it would seem that you are not planning on carrying that much stuff. Perhaps just some extra food, clothing and a small camera. In that case I would consider using a pair of trail running shoes. Basically they are a pair of sneakers with a heavier sole that protects a little better on the sharp rocks. The problem with that approach is they are not waterproof. These can be found at REI for about 70 bucks. A good all leather lightweight hiking boot is about probably closer to 200. I have both in my collection and try to use the lighter ones when I am not concerned about getting wet. The problem you are going to have is the size 14. Not all retailers carry a good selection in that size.

REI has a decent selection of house brand jackets that are essentially equivalent to GoreTex, but are cheaper. The new trend in waterproof shells are what is called a "soft shell". They use a stretchy fabric and are more comfortable. The trade off is not quite as waterproof, but still very good. The more traditional hard shells are made in two varieties. The 3 layer or the 2 layer GoreTex. The better, lighter and most expensive are the 3 layer jackets. These will not have a liner inside the shell. The 2 layer jackets will have some kind of liner inside (usually some kind of lightweight mesh/nylon one). A top of the line 3 layer will set you back about 450 bucks. The 2 layer jackets range between 175 and 300. Sometimes you can find something even less on sale. If it says Goretex you will pay more for that name. Keep in mind that it does not always mean better. I think the best jackets made are by Patagonia, and they rarely have Goretex.

I hope this helps a bit.
climber

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2007, 04:44 AM

If you are looking for better deals than REI, try Campmor, outside NYC in NJ. They have a great selection, including some quality, less well known brands. REI is great and is nationwide, but can be pricey- mostly due to the brands they stock.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 07:44 AM

Oh yes, definitely REI. Pretty much whatever you want. And if you're looking for outerwear, might I suggest Arcteryx. I gots a light jacket from them, and they're one of the few who uses nothing but Goretex, which I swear is the greatest invention of mankind.

climber
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 11:12 AM

My personal favorite place to hike in the states is Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. But then I have a second home in Jackson, so I am a bit biased. It is also a great place to learn to mountaineering. But you did not list that as a possible location. Just outside Portland is the Columbia Gorge. The walk around and to the many waterfalls is very moderate and quite beautiful.
climber

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 28, 2007, 11:28 AM

REI is good, but $$$. I'd try local shops. Or the internet.

climber
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 11:47 AM

I find it somewhat odd that many have made comments that REI is expensive. I tend to doubt that you will find anyplace that consistently sells equivalent merchandise for less. Campmore is generally cheaper, but tends to carry both less expensive brands and/or older closeout merchandise. REI is a Co-Op and you do get a dividend as long as you are a member. It is usually between a 8 and 10 percent rebate, depending on credit vs cash/check.

When I am looking for high end mountaineering equipment for an expedition I usually shop somewhere besides REI. They do not stock that type of high end clothing and or equipment in most of their stores.

As far as brand names I would also suggest Arcteryx. But like Patagonia they serve the higher end back-country market, and the cost is higher. Like with most things you get what you pay for. North Face and lately Marmot are also good brands. Both have some stuff that is just as good as the best, but most is consumer level stuff that is more about fashion and price than true outdoor performance. But then they sell mostly to people who need something to match their big SUV not stay warm and dry at 20,000 feet.
climber

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 28, 2007, 12:23 PM

The internet and ebay consistently sell the same stuff for less. When they want $350 for a sleeping bag, or $80 for a sleeping bag pad, or $$$ whatever else it's pretty pricey. I am a member, and I do get the discount thign, but whateve.r It's still expensive

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by climber View Post
I find it somewhat odd that many have made comments that REI is expensive. I tend to doubt that you will find anyplace that consistently sells equivalent merchandise for less. Campmore is generally cheaper, but tends to carry both less expensive brands and/or older closeout merchandise.
I used to shop at REI quite a bit (when I lived in the states), and they offer good value, but as you say, when looking for a bargin, I went to Campmor. It's sometimes hit or miss, but I've gotten some amazing deals on stuff there.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 04:40 PM

Here is the jacket I got:

Arc'Teryx Alpha SL Jacket - Men's from REI.com

REI listed it at 250, but locally here in Williamsburg there is a place called Blue Ridge Mountain Sports that is actually quite a good store. Their sticker price that day was 290, but I got it for half off on sale. So I made out like a bandit. And that Goretex is the **** man. Love that stuff.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2007, 05:17 PM

LLBeans

Lifetime unquestionable guaranty, need i say more?

sadly the only thing made in US is their bean boots

but what the hell is.

That or EMS.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 06:51 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice - seems I might be better off having an additional stopover say in Colorado. And a special thanks for the insight about Arc'Teryx - a brand I've not heard of before.

I still don't understand why most shoe/boot manufacturers stop at size 12. 6'4" is no longer uncommon and therefore large feet should be the norm too.
this sig intentionally left blank

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2007, 08:07 PM

one recommendation i have, is where ever your get your gear, don't get it from a place in NYC or LA, I'd rather talk to someone that sells what he uses for a living. If you head out to the "sticks" your chances of finding a sales guy that hikes because he loves it and knows his **** because he has been there a lot higher then a struggling actor who couldn't get a job at Starbucks.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 28, 2007, 08:49 PM

hahaha. Definitely true. Then again, I'm not a believer that 'gear' is all that important anyway. I can hike in sneaker just fine, if it's for a day trip. Heck, even backpacking last year for 3 days, sneakers were fine.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2007, 10:38 PM

well when i was looking for gear, I was concerned with witch MSR stove is the easiest to light with cross winds, which ground mat is best for winter camping, the expensive termarest or the cheap closed cell foam once (btw its the cheap closed cell ones). Which crampons work best, the cheap-o yack tracks or a pair of expensive blackdimonds, and so on. They know the difference between marketing BS and what works.

There is a great EMS store in North Conway and The visitors center in Pinkham Notch that has employees that go out there and get in the ****, Tuckermans, summit Washington and the Presidentails year round, and a few of them are on the volunteer rescue teams, they know the gear and what's important to keep you alive.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 29, 2007, 12:29 AM

You sound way more hardcore than me. I went camping in the badlands once with a sleeping bag tied onto a regular backpack, a few packs of carl buddings ham, and a few sodas.

climber
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2007, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
well when i was looking for gear, I was concerned with witch MSR stove is the easiest to light with cross winds, which ground mat is best for winter camping, the expensive termarest or the cheap closed cell foam once (btw its the cheap closed cell ones). Which crampons work best, the cheap-o yack tracks or a pair of expensive blackdimonds, and so on. They know the difference between marketing BS and what works.

There is a great EMS store in North Conway and The visitors center in Pinkham Notch that has employees that go out there and get in the ****, Tuckermans, summit Washington and the Presidentails year round, and a few of them are on the volunteer rescue teams, they know the gear and what's important to keep you alive.
Heck, any of the MSR stoves are easy to light. Well, the white gas ones at least. With those you typically get a huge flame while priming/warming up the stove unless you are really careful. My guess is you were talking about isobutane. Someday I would like to get one, but my experience they suck in the cold and altitude. For very cold winter mountaineering (-20 to -40) I take both a foam pad and a thick Thermarest. The latter is warmer, but If I were to pick one it would be the foam pad. That is because sometime my crampons/ice ax goes astray.

As far as Cash's comment, I tend to agree as long as my life does not depend on the gear. If I am close enough to the car, etc. then I tend to keep things very simple and light. Heck a lot of times I leave almost all of the 10 essentials at home, including the compass. I should know better... I am a search and rescue/winter mountain travel instructor.

When I am further into the mountains or planning something up higher, I tend to get very anal about my gear. I tend to buy the very best and make sure it is in perfect condition. If not, it is replaced. I have had some close calls in 25 years of climbing. Simply put when you all alone at 19,000 ft and it is -40 outside, and you are out of water, the money you saved on the stove does not really matter anymore.
climber

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 29, 2007, 09:00 AM

High quality and low cost do NOT go together in modern hiking gear. High quality and "not having to sell a kidney" prices do go together.

My favorite place to shop for hiking and camping stuff is Whole Earth Provision, a regional retailer. I've come to trust their products and their staff, and in particular the fact that the staff is interested in MY COMFORT AND SAFETY, not just making another sale. So I wound up with really GREAT boots that fit, that work, and that make steep slopes much easier, but at a price I was surprised by-pretty darn high! Still, I knew I got the right boots because the staff showed me how to fit them properly (not like sneakers), and how to see how my feet moved in them using a steep ramp. I got wicking socks to go with them on the advice of the boot guy alone, and now I don't know how my feet survived regular cotton socks for so long.

Moral: find a place you can trust with people you can trust, and be prepared to eat mostly rice for a while so you can afford the right equipment.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2007, 10:08 AM

screw going to la or NYC, you want to go to cheyenne wyoming and hit up the sierra trading post warehouse. great deals there, good staff and lots of stuff in odd sizes. (like 14 shoes)

Sierra Trading Post - Save 35-70% on Famous Name Brands

other than that, take REI over EMS, hit up campmor and whole earth provision (the one in austin is a damn cool store).

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 29, 2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
High quality and low cost do NOT go together in modern hiking gear.
Depends. I usually pull pretty high quality gear of dead hiker carcasses.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by climber View Post
Heck, any of the MSR stoves are easy to light. Well, the white gas ones at least.
thats why i went with the cheapest international one that runs off anything K2, gas, diesel mountain goat piss, i didn't need their super fancy expensive one that save 4 oz, i just needed something that was easy to light easy maintance and was durable as ****, and the sales guy knew exactly what i needed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules