Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Bizarre Airport Extreme problems -- only one computer can connect to the 'net.

Bizarre Airport Extreme problems -- only one computer can connect to the 'net.
WinsOBoogi
Senior User
Jun 1, 2008, 04:45 PM

Hi all,

I'm having some really buzarre airport extreme problems -- brand new base station, around a few months old.

At first, my roommate and I were having problems reading the USB 2.0 external drive. We've been using it for months with no problems. But when we tried to connect, the signal would suddenly drop from the airport station (no wireless lines at all from the airport menu), the Internet connection would drop and we'd have to restart the base station. Still didn't have connectivity to the external drive, but we'd at least have the Internet.

Now only one of our three laptops can connect to the station with the Internet -- my original macbook. Both of our MBPs connect to the station -- we see the lines and the IP addys are good, but we just don't connect via browsers or FTP clients.

Really bizarre, wanted to see if you guys had any ideas. Tried resetting to the original specs, renamed the thing, many plugs and unplugs form this and the cable modem.

Thanks,
Brad

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 1, 2008, 05:37 PM

Have you turned off the AirPort base? Just turned it off and left it for a few minutes? Because it sounds like it desperately needs a restart, and letting it sit for a bit will help it "get the most out of" the restart.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2008, 10:02 PM

Have you ever set up a PPPoE connection on your MBP?
I've seen this happen before on a computer that was connected to a DSL connection, before the router was connected. Usually people forget about the connection, and for some reason the PPPoE connection on the computer takes priority over the one on the router.

Forum Links
Forum Rules