Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Trouble Connecting External Display

Trouble Connecting External Display
shankoz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 12:16 PM

Hi All

I have a Rev.D 12" PB, 1.5GHZ. When I try and plug in my old ADI M700 17" CRT to use as an external display, the PB detects the ADI and lists it under the "displays" panel, but all I see on the ADI is flickering lines! The ADI also says "check video cable" which is what it says normally when nothing is plugged into it

I can plug in my newer LG 17" LCD and I can dual-display/mirror fine but I can't understand why it won't work on the CRT. I find it weird that the PB detects the CRT but the CRT can't display an image. I've tried toggling between mirroring and dual display as well as changing resolutions and refresh rates, all to no avail

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

ibook_steve
Jun 7, 2005, 03:19 AM

Does the actual name of the monitor actually show up in Displays or does it just say something like "Color Display?" If you don't get the actual name, the monitor may be too old for the Powerbook to detect the display, though you should get something at 640x480 at 60 Hz. Does the monitor work with any other computers?

Steve

shankoz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2005, 03:41 AM

Yes the name of the actual monitor shows up in displays. It shows "ADI M700" and lists several options e.g. 1024x768 at 60Hz, 75Hz and 85Hz.

The monitor has been working fine for 3 yrs now with my Wintel box.

I thought of the possibility that it might be too old for the powerbook, but it works fine with the windows machine.

shankoz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2005, 03:42 AM

Also forgot to mention that the monitor is connected to my windows machine right now. When it is plugged into the powerbook, it doesn't work, but as soon as I plug it back into the pc, it works fine.

ibook_steve
Jun 7, 2005, 05:36 PM

Can you hook up any other displays to this computer? Worst case is there is something wrong with your graphics chip or mini-DVI connector, but I doubt it. If no monitors will work with this computer, try getting a new dongle. I'm sure an Apple Store would let you test out this theory before purchasing the new dongle.

Steve

shankoz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2005, 05:58 AM

Well, I can connect the newer 17" LCD so i guess there is nothing wrong with the powerbook itself.

Maybe its time to just chuck out the old CRT and replace it with a new one........ =)

Thanks for your help anyway ibook_steve!

Forum Links
Forum Rules