Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple are FAST

Apple are FAST
simonjames
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 05:16 PM

As you all know yesterday morning the Australian iTunes music store finally opened.

On the way home from work my car needed petrol - on the cashier's counter was a display of pre-paid iTMS cards for purchase. How fast is that?

I didn't see any TV last night - for those in Australia were there any iTMS commercials showing?
this sig intentionally left blank

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 05:19 PM

is?

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 05:25 PM

Haven't seen any iTMS ads. The Eminem iPod ad was playing a fair bit though.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Albert Pujols
is?
I thought of the same thing when I saw this thread.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 05:32 PM

that sucks too cause you can't change the thread name

but yes i would think that apple would be on the ball there

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 25, 2005, 05:34 PM

The UK/Australian form is to use the collective plural as in "Apple are fast." In the U.S., we use the group plural as in "Apple is fast." Both are correct.

As for how fast they are, those prepaid cards have probably been waiting for the opening for a week or more, and the retailers were given notice when to post them-maybe days ahead, maybe last night. That's how you do that sort of thing. I spoke to an Apple Store guy the other day, (about how I should have waited a little while and gotten a Video iPod when they came out instead of getting 6 weeks of use of my iPod Photo) and he said that the stores don't even know when a product is going to come out until "SURPRISE" they come out! Apple seems to be pretty secretive about product releases too, so my guess is that the retailer was told last night "put the cards out on display in the morning."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
As for how fast they are, those prepaid cards have probably been waiting for the opening for a week or more, and the retailers were given notice when to post them-maybe days ahead, maybe last night. That's how you do that sort of thing. I spoke to an Apple Store guy the other day, (about how I should have waited a little while and gotten a Video iPod when they came out instead of getting 6 weeks of use of my iPod Photo) and he said that the stores don't even know when a product is going to come out until "SURPRISE" they come out! Apple seems to be pretty secretive about product releases too, so my guess is that the retailer was told last night "put the cards out on display in the morning."
Yeah, I used to be an overnight stocker at Walmart and helped the unloaders before going out to stock. We'd often get pallets with warning labels on them saying DO NOT DISPLAY UNTIL some date, so we'd put them back in the storeroom for a week until the item was released. Usually they were CDs or DVDs.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 07:04 PM

The UK/Australian form is to use the collective plural as in "Apple are fast." In the U.S., we use the group plural as in "Apple is fast." Both are correct.
Perhaps Apple is a group of people, however Apple is ONE company. Using that logix, it is singular. Apple IS fast.

However, some might say Apple BE fast.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 07:18 PM

Oh my god. Learn the fuçking language. English isn't the same across the world. simonjames was correct when posting this title.

I can't believe there are still people who struggle with these rules.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 07:19 PM

Coles Express ? im going hunting for those cards today.

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 07:44 PM

Yes - Coles Express Bondi

$1.30/litre for Optimax. $60 to fill my tank. I remember when it used to cost $25

I guess now we'll have the debate "is it litre or liter?"

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 25, 2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by simonjames
Sadly, it looks like that may be the case. And don't mention "colour" versus "color!" That is flame war material!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 07:49 PM

It could be worse, we could start looking into Australian slang, which dominates the language.

I saw we`re both speaking English, but I can`t understand my Australian (or New Zealand) friends.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 25, 2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
It could be worse, we could start looking into Australian slang, which dominates the language.

I saw we`re both speaking English, but I can`t understand my Australian (or New Zealand) friends.
I think I'd rather take my chances with Australian (or NZ) slang than have to deal with Cockney slang. That's a completely different sub-tongue!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 08:21 PM

All I have to say about that is `jandles.`

The other 5 of us were like `WTF?`

Jandles, NZ for flip flop shoes.

Though I would agree that cockney slang is a completely different sub-lanuage, and should be taught in schools along with ebonics.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 25, 2005, 08:27 PM

All I have to say about that is `jandles.`

The other 5 of us were like `WTF?`

Jandles, NZ for flip flop shoes.

Though I would agree that cockney slang is a completely different sub-lanuage, and should be taught in schools along with ebonics.
Where I grew up they're called "zories" (a brand name, I believe). My wife calls them "thongs," which generates some really interesting looks in certain conversations!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 08:31 PM

Where I grew up they're called "zories" (a brand name, I believe). My wife calls them "thongs," which generates some really interesting looks in certain conversations!
I guess it could be worse. We have `fanny packs` in the US.

English people find this really funny... he he fanny...

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 09:05 PM

Cockney(Brit slang), i can decipher if i think really hard.

Ozzie/NZ slag..... still getting used to it. I get most of the surfie slang though.

What i have the most problem with is Ebonics(i guess that's American slang?)....not a word.

And yeah....fuel prices, dont get me started. It hit $1.35 for unleaded here in Perth. i just started taking the bus instead. It used to cost me around $50 to fill up, now it's around $75.

Color vs colour. ..... u think it's hard here? trying doing a Masters degree where all the Macs(MS Word) are setup for American english spellings(what im used to), and all the professors want Ozzie spellings.... i had to put a disclaimer on anything i submitted lol.

Cheers

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 25, 2005, 09:45 PM

Yes, I can see that being an issue-and fun to watch!

A friend told of a classmate who went to England. She had a not-too out of the ordinary name for Texas. Her name was Randy. You can imagine the kind of problems that brought up! (Oh, and yes, people do name their kids things like Randy, Terry, and Bobby; my high school principle was Terry Byrd, and his brother Bobby was superintendent of schools-those are their formal names.)

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 10:12 PM

What's a "liter"?

Kitty liter?
Cigarette liter?
Liter than air?

They still haven't taken the silent "o" out of country.

Note: A pedometer is a metre meter. Deal with it.

slowspeed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2005, 12:12 AM

Face Ache you are just confusing us all Down Under now...

there is no word "lite" in australian english, only with a "ght", and rubbish/garbage type liter is a double T

thongs are flip-flops, a thong is a g-string and lite/light beer means low alcohol not low calorie.

now that we are all with the program/programme, we can go and get pis*ed (which means get drunk not get upset)

this is exhausting...
Slow Speed
"I put the moron in oxymoron"

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 12:23 AM

How about sunnies and chewies? The Australians shorten everything.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 01:18 AM

Break out the Tim Tams and we can all be in peace

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2005, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by slowspeed
Face Ache you are just confusing us all Down Under now...

there is no word "lite" in australian english, only with a "ght", and rubbish/garbage type liter is a double T
OH REALLY?!

Get out of Adelaide while there's still hope.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Oct 26, 2005, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
Oh my god. Learn the fuçking language. English isn't the same across the world. simonjames was correct when posting this title.

I can't believe there are still people who struggle with these rules.
Yeah, I get get quite a kick out of boot and bonnet.

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 02:51 AM

years back when I lived in England I caused a few of my workmates to pi$$ themselves laughing when (at lunch time) I said I was going to the shops to get a couple of skivvies.

A skivvy in Australia is a turtle neck long sleeve t-shirt like top

A skivvy in England is a rough-ish woman bordering on a whore

As to car terminology - Americans have completely FU the English language there.
'stick shift'? Why not say manual gearbox?
turnpike? Trunk? Hood? Gas? SUV? The Hummer?

And they forced Maserati to turn the beautiful rear end of the coupe with it's boomerang shaped lights into what can only be described as butt ugly.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
And yeah....fuel prices, dont get me started. It hit $1.35 for unleaded here in Perth. i just started taking the bus instead. It used to cost me around $50 to fill up, now it's around $75.
Where is Perth? U.S.? Here in the San Francisco Bay Area fuel has been like $3.15 a gallon for the cheap stuff for a while now!

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 03:29 AM

Perth, Australia. AU$1.35 a lit[re|er]

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Seb G
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2005, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Perth, Australia. AU$1.35 a lit[re|er]
Cool, that's cheap. Costs a lot more in Perth, Scotland

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2005, 05:23 AM

years back when I lived in England I caused a few of my workmates to pi$$ themselves laughing when (at lunch time) I said I was going to the shops to get a couple of skivvies.

A skivvy in Australia is a turtle neck long sleeve t-shirt like top

A skivvy in England is a rough-ish woman bordering on a whore
A "skivvy" in South African English is a kind of slave. At games, each player in the first rugby team at the boys' school I was at would be assigned a skivvy - one of the youngest at the school - to run around before and during the game, getting him oranges, carrying his bags etc. If you said you were going to buy a skivvy in South Africa, you'd get some very strange looks!

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2005, 05:42 AM

I almost choked on my sandwich when a young American girl I was on a bike tour with said over a picnic lunch that after all the riding, she had a huge pain in her fanny!

Some others that always causes a laugh:

* "pants" - in most countries, pants are trousers. In the UK, pants are strictly underwear. "Hello, I'm looking for a pair of corduroy pants." "Why you sick little bugger, you."

* "toilet" - in most countries, is synonymous with bathroom. In the US, it's the bowl itself. And the bathroom is a washroom. "Excuse me, where is the toilet?" "It's in the washroom, lady."

* "drugs" - in most countries means the nefarious stuff you get in a dark alley. Medicine is the stuff you buy in a pharmacy. In the US, you get drugs in a drugstore. "You have a headache? Why, you should git you some drugs at the drugstore." "Coooooolll".

* "café" - in most countries means a place where you sit and sip coffee. In South Africa, it means a small supermarket and is often pronounced "kaffie".

* "robot" - in most countries means R2D2 and co. In South Africa, it means traffic light. "Excuse me, where can I get some drugs for my headache?" "Hang a right there by the café, and there's a oke by the third robot down selling dagga." (where oke = guy and dagga = dope)

* "sneakers" - in most countries means people that lurk in dark areas. In America it means shoes. In South Africa, sneakers are "takkies" and in the UK they're "runners" or "trainers". Trainers in South Africa are the things that kids wear between nappies (diapers) and pants. "Do you know where I can buy some trainers?" "Baby and Co. has some, but I'm not sure they have your size (snigger)".

* "sharking" - in the UK means "attempting to pick up". In South Africa (and according to the urban dictionary in the US too), "spading" means the same thing. "Are you sharking me?" "Uh no, I was actually spading you." When you're talking to a girl, your mates in the UK will be walking around behind her back with their open hands on their heads. In South Africa, they'll be miming manual labour.
( Last edited by Troll; Oct 26, 2005 at 05:49 AM. )

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Seb G
Cool, that's cheap. Costs a lot more in Perth, Scotland
The bloody Brits are always copying place names, Old Jersey, Old York, Old England , Old Hampshire. Get some original ideas.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 06:00 AM

In the US, skivvies = tighty whities.

And I've never heard of sharking or spading before. Well, I've heard of spading, but only in reference to rendering a female pet unable to birth offspring.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2005, 06:04 AM

And I've never heard of sharking or spading before. Well, I've heard of spading, but only in reference to rendering a female pet unable to birth offspring.
Yeah, I've never heard anyone talk about spading in the US but I have a friend who assures me that it's current there too. It's on the urban dictionary too.

ttp://spading.urbanup.com/218535

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 06:25 AM

The only time I've ever seen/heard "spading" as a bastardization of "spaying", which you're talking about, is in the classic Superchic[k] quote:

"Some people should be spade or nuttered."

Thank you Salty for that gem.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 06:26 AM

Where I grew up they're called "zories" (a brand name, I believe).
"zori" is the Japanese word for them.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
The only time I've ever seen/heard "spading" as a bastardization of "spaying", which you're talking about
One of my several hundred pet peeves. Ranks up there with "irregardless" and "for all intensive purposes."

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 06:29 AM

He he he he.... pants in japanese.... パンス....

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2005, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
The only time I've ever seen/heard "spading" as a bastardization of "spaying"
In England it's also accepted as "speying".

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by ism
In England it's also accepted as "speying".
Must be another grey area.

andi*pandi
Oct 26, 2005, 08:27 AM

sorry, I think you meant gray area?

Did someone say timtam? Yum!

slowspeed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2005, 08:56 AM

Well I was going to get out..... But then we finally got iTMS so I'll stick around thanks all the same.

I enjoy my ignorance.....

Slow Speed
"I put the moron in oxymoron"

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 26, 2005, 09:05 AM

One of my several hundred pet peeves. Ranks up there with "irregardless" and "for all intensive purposes."
There was a comedian back in the '70s who did his whole schtick on misuse of near homophones-I wish I could remember his name right now, was it Norm Crosby? He was hilarious and that was because everyone listening KNEW how he was butchering the language. I don't think audiences today would gete him.

To me, misuse of homophones and near homophones is on a par with demonstrating one's whopping 71 on the Stanford-Binet IQ test. Can't we all just be a little literate?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2005, 10:43 AM

My mother's boss used to "pacificly" tell people what to do and what not to do. I thought she was joking until my Mom brought home a rather serious letter that her boss had written to a supplier saying, "We pacificly asked for the green one." We took a red pen and corrected it to "pacifically"! That was revenge for the note to my Mother in which she said she expected my Mom to be at her "beckon call".

The problem with things like that is that they get under your skin. Within our family, we now use pacifically more than specifically.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
sorry, I think you meant gray area?

Did someone say timtam? Yum!
Some people should be spade and nuttered.

(repeated for affect)

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 10:49 AM

To me, misuse of homophones and near homophones is on a par with demonstrating one's whopping 71 on the Stanford-Binet IQ test. Can't we all just be a little literate?
There's a good FeEx commercial where co-workers tell a poor guy that he's wrong about everything. The guy believes fringe benefits are "French" benefits and that it's the Leaning Tower of "Pizza". Very funny.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 10:56 AM

Area of Circle:
area = PI r2

Pie are round.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 11:03 AM

There was a comedian back in the '70s who did his whole schtick on misuse of near homophones-I wish I could remember his name right now, was it Norm Crosby? He was hilarious and that was because everyone listening KNEW how he was butchering the language. I don't think audiences today would gete him.

On this year's Jerry Lewis MD telethon he featured his old buddy, Norm Crosby, wha was and is the guy you are thinking of.

He reminded me of Sinatra's live performance in the years before his passing, a bit embarrassing to see how he wasn't the guy you'd once enjoyed not THAT long ago. But, as the performance went on he got stronger and stronger and by the end the transformation was complete. He had the crowd in the palm of his hand. Same with Crosby.

The greats never really lose it, it's just the machinery gives out.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2005, 11:38 AM

Very interesting chatter.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Troll
My mother's boss used to "pacificly" tell people what to do and what not to do.
I've always wondered how to tell people what to do and not to do in Hawaiian.

Forum Links
Forum Rules