Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > crocodile hunter dead

crocodile hunter dead (Page 3)
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by climber
Well this isn't his funeral. It is a general forum designed for people to post their views about life, and in this case death. If I showed up at his funeral with a sign that reads "Steve was a dumbass", You can all beat me with it.

So it is not that I really said anything that was wrong you just don't like my directness.
I wish i had a sign to beat you with
Signature depreciated.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2006, 08:42 PM

Wow, we do have a lot of sensitive girly-girls here.

Sometimes I can't believe you guys. As long as a person is alive, there are no limits to tasteless bashing. But once a person dies, many suddenly change and become more catholic than the pope.

-t

Sealobo
Sep 4, 2006, 08:42 PM

what happened to teh stingray afterward, anyway?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO
I wish i had a sign to beat you with
Well, here is one for YOU

-t

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
Well, here is one for YOU

-t
Where do you get these!?
Signature depreciated.

climber
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Then why didn't you say THAT ^^^ instead of making incorrect assumptions about how he obviously grabbed the stingray and/or got too close (which he did NOT) and calling him a fool?

Kerrigan: Thanks for that graphic. I was looking for one of those to get more stingray anatomy. We have them all over here in Florida and they've always seemed relatively harmless, but now I know better.

KeriVit.

My assumptions are not incorrect. All reports indicate he got way to close. Otherwise he would not have been stung. He certainly wasn't minding his own business swimming in the surf.

He certainly had a passion for what he was doing, and I do respect him for that. Even if did not like his methods.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2006, 08:47 PM

Where do you get these!?
Teh intarwebs.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo
Caught and will be served fried at the funeral.

Heck, I dunno.

-t

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo
Don't they die like bees?
Signature depreciated.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 09:24 PM

That was uncalled for.
It's called "black humour." Read up on it. It has a long, prestigious tradition. And it's used by those--such as soldiers and doctors--who are around death a lot.
definition: black humor

in literature, drama, and film, grotesque or morbid humor used to express the absurdity, insensitivity, paradox, and cruelty of the modern world. Ordinary characters or situations are usually exaggerated far beyond the limits of normal satire or irony. Black humor uses devices often associated with tragedy and is sometimes equated with tragic farce. For example, Stanley Kubrick’s film Dr. Strangelove; or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1963) is a terrifying comic treatment of the circumstances surrounding the dropping of an atom bomb, while Jules Feiffer’s comedy Little Murders (1965) is a delineation of the horrors of modern urban life, focusing particularly on random assassinations. The novels of such writers as Kurt Vonnegut, Thomas Pynchon, John Barth, Joseph Heller, and Philip Roth contain elements of black humor.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2006, 09:33 PM

He's too young to know black humor.

-t

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2006, 09:38 PM

I rest my case. In other words he got to close, intentionally.

Look what is it with it some of you? Why is it so impossible to respectfully disagree with someone without resorting to personal attacks. I am certainly not glad he died. And I certainly feel for his family and their loss. I personally wish someone could have taken Steve aside and explained to him he was not immortal and that life is worth living simply to raise the two young children he left behind.
I don't think he ever thought he was immortal or invincible. He knew the dangers of these animals and he respected them. He showed his passion for what he loves and has known his entire life. From what I understand he had been wrestling Crocs since he was around 9 years old. He taught people to respect wildlife. He just did it in his own excentric way.

Working with these animals was his love and passion. Conservation and spreading his message of conservation by showing his love of those animals was just as important as his children. Sure he probably could have "retired" and took care of his children but that wasn't the person he was. He loved what he did as much as he loved his children. Unfortunate accidents happen.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff
It's called "black humour." Read up on it. It has a long, prestigious tradition. And it's used by those--such as soldiers and doctors--who are around death a lot.
definition: black humor

in literature, drama, and film, grotesque or morbid humor used to express the absurdity, insensitivity, paradox, and cruelty of the modern world. Ordinary characters or situations are usually exaggerated far beyond the limits of normal satire or irony. Black humor uses devices often associated with tragedy and is sometimes equated with tragic farce. For example, Stanley Kubrick’s film Dr. Strangelove; or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1963) is a terrifying comic treatment of the circumstances surrounding the dropping of an atom bomb, while Jules Feiffer’s comedy Little Murders (1965) is a delineation of the horrors of modern urban life, focusing particularly on random assassinations. The novels of such writers as Kurt Vonnegut, Thomas Pynchon, John Barth, Joseph Heller, and Philip Roth contain elements of black humor.
thanks for the info<-- This is to you to what_the_heck
Signature depreciated.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2006, 09:39 PM

I don't understand what you guys are disagreeing on.

-t

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by typoon
I don't think he ever thought he was immortal or invincible. He knew the dangers of these animals and he respected them. He showed his passion for what he loves and has known his entire life. From what I understand he had been wrestling Crocs since he was around 9 years old. He taught people to respect wildlife. He just did it in his own excentric way.

Working with these animals was his love and passion. Conservation and spreading his message of conservation by showing his love of those animals was just as important as his children. Sure he probably could have "retired" and took care of his children but that wasn't the person he was. He loved what he did as much as he loved his children. Unfortunate accidents happen.
Amen (again)
Signature depreciated.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 09:42 PM

I don't understand what you guys are disagreeing on.

-t
Me and Spliff or me and climber?
Signature depreciated.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2006, 09:47 PM

All of you. You (pl.) are bickering about wording. Nobody is happy that he's dead, and everybody agrees that he took a lot of risks. So what's the farking point about arguing if he took TOO MUCH risk or not.

-t

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 09:51 PM

All of you. You (pl.) are bickering about wording. Nobody is happy that he's dead, and everybody agrees that he took a lot of risks. So what's the farking point about arguing if he took TOO MUCH risk or not.

-t
we have nothing else to do.
Signature depreciated.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2006, 09:53 PM

we have nothing else to do.
Touché. True for everyone here...

-t

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 10:29 PM

Evel Knievel = 100% daredevil
Steve Irwin = 65% Daredevil - 35% education
Wildlife Kingdom = 40% Daredevil - 60% education
Jacques Cousteau = 20% daredevil - 80% education

I feel sorry for his children. He was a victim of his own success. We (my family) watched not to learn anything, but to see just how close he could come to not dying this time.

Maybe this will make his family and kids take a little different of a tact in how they follow in his footsteps. Maybe more of the Jacques Cousteau route...

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
Evel Knievel = 100% daredevil
Steve Kirwin = 65% Daredevil - 35% education
Wildlife Kingdom = 40% Daredevil - 60% education
Jacques Cousteau = 20% daredevil - 80% education

I feel sorry for his children. He was a victim of his own success. We (my family) watched not to learn anything, but to see just how close he could come to not dying this time.

Maybe this will make his family and kids take a little different of a tact in how they follow in his footsteps. Maybe more of the Jacques Cousteau route...
Sooooo.... you want his family to chicken out and hide or continue in his foot steps?

I vote foot steps.
Signature depreciated.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 10:38 PM

What do you mean chicken out?

Knievel destroyed his family. Irwin was already drawing his into the fold.

No. I do not care to see the rest of his family do what he did exactly the way he did it. One crocodile hunter is enough.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
What do you mean chicken out?

Knievel destroyed his family. Irwin was already drawing his into the fold.

No. I do not care to see the rest of his family do what he did exactly the way he did it. One crocodile hunter is enough.
Chicken out as in not follow in his foot steps. i think there should be more croc hunters 1 or 2.
Signature depreciated.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 11:17 PM

Never mind.

I'm not going to argue. I made my point.

All I am say is watch you say and how you say it.

It should be a lesson to all on the email and the web.

Steve Irwin will be missed. By most. Nuff said.

andi*pandi
Sep 5, 2006, 01:22 AM

I got stung by a stingray walking thru a tidal pool, so there's risk even in that. Luckily it was a little one. Red and blue if I remember. I did not know the shuffle trick.

RIP Steve.

kcmac, I like your comparisons.

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2006, 02:23 AM

Sometimes I can't believe you guys. As long as a person is alive, there are no limits to tasteless bashing. But once a person dies, many suddenly change and become more catholic than the pope.

-t

nexus5.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 03:00 AM

Yes, I'm clearly a girly-girl just because I don't take a good man's death as an opportunity to insult and mock him.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 08:13 AM

Really sad news. I remember, he was like the only "ambasador" of Australia i knew of before coming here. Calling him an icon wouldnt do him justice imo. His love of nature sure captured the Australia spirit as well... And man whatever your opinion of the guy.... he lived large, and saw/did things many of us would never have dreamed of.

He was without doubt, one of a kind and he's definately going to be missed.

Ciao

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 08:23 AM

I read this morning that people don't know who the Australian prime minister is...

But they know who Steve Irwin is - and the country he is from.

That says a lot.

I feel very sorry for his poor wife and daughter and baby son. Now they're all alone and those children will never share another hug, laugh, or kiss goodnight from their daddy.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 08:38 AM

In all probability he tried to grab and hold the ray just like he always did on his show. He had absolutely no business manhandling and or harassing that stingray.
WTF are talking about?? The police and coroner saw the video and he didn't touch the fish.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I read this morning that people don't know who the Australian prime minister is...

But they know who Steve Irwin is - and the country he is from.

That says a lot.
To be honest, I don't think that Australia has had any controversial politics, so unless the PM wants to start wrestling an alligator before each day of work, no wonder he's in obscurity.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Yes, I'm clearly a girly-girl just because I don't take a good man's death as an opportunity to insult and mock him.
Basically it's been a long standing custom in many cultures (not just western) to not talk ill of the dead out of respect and courtesy (and the fact that the person can no longer defend themselves.) However such customs are being lost on the new generation.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Ditto
Signature depreciated.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
WTF are talking about?? The police and coroner saw the video and he didn't touch the fish.
Signature depreciated.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 09:55 AM

Steve Irwin was a reckless fool. He was to wildlife conservation what Real TV is to journalism. He intentionally mishandled dangerous wild animals with the sole purpose of sensationalizing and selling his show. It is certainly no surprise that he was killed.

Reports indicate we was stung in the chest by the stingray. In all probability he tried to grab and hold the ray just like he always did on his show. He had absolutely no business manhandling and or harassing that stingray.
Die in a fire.

RIP Steve.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 09:59 AM

I love you, Big MacNStein.

(As do a lot of others - we're your MacNN FanBaseâ„¢.)

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 5, 2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey

The story mentions that he did corner it by accident and it acted defensively.

"Hello, what have we here?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Die in a fire.

RIP Steve.
I second that motion
Signature depreciated.

stephenr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2006, 10:43 AM

Nobody is happy that he's dead, and everybody agrees that he took a lot of risks
ok. well. firstly. a LOT of people in australia should be happy. you stupid americans see one stupid crocodile dundee movie, or one stupid idiot "hunting" crocodiles, and suddenly, the entire country is thought to be out shooting kangaroos and riding wombats to work while the kids learn how to catch a crocodile or deadly snake in schools run by koalas.

next in line for an ironic death is paul f*cking hogan, followed by dame edna.

the only thing worse than stupid americans are stupid people (anywhere) who think people like steve irwin are someone to be commended. yes he had a park for native animals that couldnt live in the wild. funnily enough ZOOS do the same thing, and dont usually go parading around on tv about it, saying CRIKEY every 30 f*cking seconds, while feeding crocodiles with a baby in the other hand.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 10:51 AM

Die in a fire.
Dude, chill out.

We've already had enough knee-jerk comments in this thread.

-t

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by stephenr
ok. well. firstly. a LOT of people in australia should be happy. you stupid americans see one stupid crocodile dundee movie, or one stupid idiot "hunting" crocodiles, and suddenly, the entire country is thought to be out shooting kangaroos and riding wombats to work while the kids learn how to catch a crocodile or deadly snake in schools run by koalas.
Utter nonsense, sir. I happen to know the schools are run by dingos.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 10:52 AM

the only thing worse than stupid americans are stupid people (anywhere) who think people like steve irwin are someone to be commended. yes he had a park for native animals that couldn't live in the wild. funnily enough ZOOS do the same thing, and dont usually go parading around on tv about it, saying CRIKEY every 30 f*cking seconds, while feeding crocodiles with a baby in the other hand.
I don't get what you are saying. But heres what i can get out. You think americans think that all people in australia act like Steve? I am an american and i don't think like that and i know that most australians are working people like everybody else. We don't stereotype australians.
Signature depreciated.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 10:56 AM

Dude, chill out.
No.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 10:58 AM

Bitter Aussies who hate Steve because he said "crikey" are much worse examples of Australia than he was. Seriously, how many insecure 12-year-olds can fit in one country?
Chuck
___

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 10:59 AM

the only thing worse than stupid americans are stupid people (anywhere) who think people like steve irwin are someone to be commended. yes he had a park for native animals that couldnt live in the wild. funnily enough ZOOS do the same thing, and dont usually go parading around on tv about it, saying CRIKEY every 30 f*cking seconds, while feeding crocodiles with a baby in the other hand.
Go to climber's house, that way you can both die in that fire together.

Two birds with one stone.
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane

Originally Posted by BlueSky
Utter nonsense, sir. I happen to know the schools are run by dingos.
Dude, that would be a step up from California. Seriously.
Chuck
___

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster

I watched on episode of the TV show which I thought was a bit odd.

There was some large croc that was held in a pen and had outgrown it. It was so big and dangerous they called Steve to do the job.

As soon as he got there he starting taking huge risks and even though he had just seen the croc 60 second before for the first time he said "I love her.. I would DIE for her".

As sweet as that is crocs aren't really loving creatures at all and would have eaten him no matter how much he loved it. I was also sorta put off how easily he would throw his life away for a nasty animal when he has a wife and kids.

Not that I am happy in any way that he died but perhaps his overconfidence is what finally caught up with him.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 11:00 AM

Go to climber's house, that way you can both die in that fire together.

Two birds with one stone.
I dunno if you are much better in the end with that attitude.

No matter how much I don't like someone I never wish death on them.

To each his own I guess.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 11:02 AM

stephenr

firstly. a LOT of people in australia should be happy [that Steve Irwin is dead].
First, why don't you give us your last name and where you live if you think it's okay to be so hateful towards a dead man, his wife, and his children?

Secondly, try telling the millions of children who loved Steve Irwin that they should be happy...YOU LOSER.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 11:03 AM

This thread needs a good ol' lock.

Forum Links
Forum Rules