Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > crocodile hunter dead

crocodile hunter dead (Page 4)
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
I watched on episode of the TV show which I thought was a bit odd.

There was some large croc that was held in a pen and had outgrown it. It was so big and dangerous they called Steve to do the job.

As soon as he got there he starting taking huge risks and even though he had just seen the croc 60 second before for the first time he said "I love her.. I would DIE for her".

As sweet as that is crocs aren't really loving creatures at all and would have eaten him no matter how much he loved it. I was also sorta put off how easily he would throw his life away for a nasty animal when he has a wife and kids.

Not that I am happy in any way that he died but perhaps his overconfidence is what finally caught up with him.
ive see that episode. he was at his own park (his zoo) and they needed to move a big croc. As much i can remember that was before he had his kids, that would explain the "i would die for her" statement.
Signature depreciated.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 11:05 AM

I dunno if you are much better in the end with that attitude.

No matter how much I don't like someone I never wish death on them.
Tough.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 5, 2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO
ive see that episode. he was at his own park (his zoo) and they needed to move a big croc. As much i can remember that was before he had his kids, that would explain the "i would die for her" statement.
Well kids or not it was a bit odd. Even without kids he still had a wife and tons of fans that loved him more than that croc did.

"Hello, what have we here?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 11:06 AM

Not that I am happy in any way that he died but perhaps his overconfidence is what finally caught up with him.
No, the fact that he was put in completely unforeseen danger killed him. If anyone had been expecting the thing to rear up and stab him straight through the heart, he probably would have approached it differently. He was enthusiastic, not stupid.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Tough.
Yes you certainly are.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
No, the fact that he was put in completely unforeseen danger killed him. If anyone had been expecting the thing to rear up and stab him straight through the heart, he probably would have approached it differently. He was enthusiastic, not stupid.
When did I say he was stupid?

The danger was not unforeseen as he was swimming with stingrays which is never safe but yes it was unfortunate that he cornered it and got hit in the one in a thousand spot.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane

Well kids or not it was a bit odd. Even without kids he still had a wife and tons of fans that loved him more than that croc did.
And? So he loved animals. I can think of many people with worse taste.
Chuck
___

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

RIP, Croc Hunter. I wonder if he was wearing his trademarked khakis when he died. It's ironic that he dove with sharks, played with crocs and cobras and messed with parrots, but he was taken down by the docile stingray.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster

Its a type (a odd one type) of love. He loves his crocs like we love cats, dogs, brids, etc. He knows his animals and there behavoirs.
Signature depreciated.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO
Its a type (a odd one type) of love. He loves his crocs like we love cats, dogs, brids, etc. He knows his animals and there behavoirs.
.. and that is cool. I love animals also but it is usually ones that would return the love.

I also don't find a stray cat and say I would die for it but hey.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 11:18 AM

Yes you certainly are.
Piss off.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 11:18 AM

.. and that is cool. I love animals also but it is usually ones that would return the love.

I also don't find a stray cat and say I would die for it but hey.
As i said its a odd type of love.
Signature depreciated.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
This thread needs a good ol' lock.
Agreed. This is becoming more and more a flamefest...

-t

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 11:30 AM

wheres Doofy, Salty, and --erik--. id expect them to join in the fun.
Signature depreciated.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 11:36 AM

Piss off.

Pissing off at your request...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 12:00 PM

Pissing off at your request...
Good, as you were.
- Thomas Paine

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
Agreed. This is becoming more and more a flamefest...

-t
Yes, this thread needs locked.

climber
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 12:41 PM

Good, as you were.
Why don't you try growing up for a change? You see adults in this world are allowed to have different opinions!

Now if you care to actually attack any of the points of any of my posts I would be glad to address them. I am even willing to admit I was probably wrong in my assumption that he grabbed the stingray.

I used two carefully chosen adjectives to describe his handling of wild animals. There many more that I would also use to describe the man:

Energetic, Fearless, Passionate, Bold, Intelligent, Caring...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 12:52 PM

When did I say he was stupid?

The danger was not unforeseen as he was swimming with stingrays which is never safe but yes it was unfortunate that he cornered it and got hit in the one in a thousand spot.
Never safe to swim with Sting Rays? They are called "the pussycats of the sea" for a reason. Many people do it but like any animal if it feels cornered it will use it's defensive mechanism to defend itself. He just happened to be on the wrong end of this Rays Defensive reaction.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by climber
I am even willing to admit I was probably wrong in my assumption that he grabbed the stingray.

I used two carefully chosen adjectives to describe his handling of wild animals. There many more that I would also use to describe the man:

Energetic, Fearless, Passionate, Bold, Intelligent, Caring...
Apology accepted.
- Thomas Paine

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by typoon
Never safe to swim with Sting Rays? They are called "the pussycats of the sea" for a reason. Many people do it but like any animal if it feels cornered it will use it's defensive mechanism to defend itself. He just happened to be on the wrong end of this Rays Defensive reaction.
Good to know. The thing is many "pussycats" don't have venomous barbs that can be fatal.

The reports are also mentioning that he was quick on his feet but not the water and his show was going into "darker territory".

Either way it was an unfortunet fluke and accident.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 12:57 PM

Bullcrap.
He knew what he was doing, and he knew it was risky.

The documentary was supposed to be called "Ocean's Deadliest". Go figure.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 12:58 PM

Apology accepted.
So, you still want him die in a fire, or are you going to apologize as well ?

-t

climber
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
First, why don't you give us your last name and where you live if you think it's okay to be so hateful towards a dead man, his wife, and his children?

Secondly, try telling the millions of children who loved Steve Irwin that they should be happy...YOU LOSER.

Do you really want to know who I am. I tend to doubt that, because if you did then you might actually have to treat me as a person. Well I tell you a little...

I am a 44 year old male registered nurse who has dedicated the last 10 years to helping others in emergent and critical care hospital and pre-hospital conditions. I am also a mountain travel and rescue, a first responder, and a CPR instructor. What have you done this week Cody, besides sending a check to your favorite charity?

Now my perspective on life is that it is a tragic accident when a whole family gets wiped out by a drunk driver.But it is not an accident when somebody takes exceptional risks and pays for it. Tragic yes, especially for the family and friends.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 01:08 PM

OH NOEZ!!11! U R TEH NURZE SO U R BETTERZ THAN TEH CODY!!!11!

please.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 01:10 PM

And this keeps on descending...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 01:11 PM

-t
Marshmellows still in hand, but he's doing better.
- Thomas Paine

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 01:15 PM

Bullcrap.
He knew what he was doing, and he knew it was risky.

-t
According the the video that has been seen by authorities he didn't provoke the animal in any way. But it did say that the Ray could have felt cornered because while he was swimming along side it they camera man was in front of it.

If they are so dangerous then how do you explain the small amounts of people dying from them? Something like 17 people since 1860? They are deadly if you get hit by the barb like he did. But the oceans animals don't have to be as deadly as say a Great white shark to be called the Ocean's Deadliest. there are Sea plants and things that are also deadly in the ocean that look harmless.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 01:18 PM

According the the video that has been seen by authorities he didn't provoke the animal in any way. But it did say that the Ray could have felt cornered because while he was swimming along side it they camera man was in front of it.

If they are so dangerous then how do you explain the small amounts of people dying from them? Something like 17 people since 1860? They are deadly if you get hit by the barb like he did. But the oceans animals don't have to be as deadly as say a Great white shark to be called the Ocean's Deadliest. there are Sea plants and things that are also deadly in the ocean that look harmless.

AFAIK more people die from hippos than alligators.

Not many shark attack deaths either. That doesn't make them any less dangerous.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 01:18 PM

But it is not an accident when somebody takes exceptional risks and pays for it.
Swimming = exceptional risk
Driving around drunk drivers = not an exceptional risk

Gotcha.
Chuck
___

climber
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 01:19 PM

-t

That would require actually stepping down that awfully tall pedestal he has created for himself. But I will try and show him how it is done.

To all the Steve Irwin fans, I am truly sorry if my opinions of Steve have somehow hurt your feelings. or were perceived as incentive. I have no doubt that Steve was a good man who lived life with a passion.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 01:23 PM

To all the Steve Irwin fans, I am truly sorry if my opinions of Steve have somehow hurt your feelings. or were perceived as incentive. I have no doubt that Steve was a good man who lived life with a passion.
*puts away marshmellows*

(but remains aware for where they're kept)
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 01:27 PM

That all doesn't matter.

The fact that Steve wanted to call it "Ocean's deadliest" shows that he was

a) either aware of the risk
b) or was, once again, overlly sensationalistic

Go figure some more.

-t

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 01:28 PM

I think that at this point it behooves us all to take a step backward, count to 10, count our blessings, take a walk in the other guy's shoes, realize that patience is a virtue, not get our khakis in a bunch, bury the hatchet, remember that laughter is the universal language, forgive our neighbor, reach out and touch someone, rotate your tires and walk like an egyptian.
( Last edited by BlueSky; Sep 5, 2006 at 01:43 PM. )

climber
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 01:28 PM

*puts away marshmellows*

(but remains aware for where they're kept)

Can you even see us down here from that high in the air?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky
I think that at this point it behooves us all to take a step backward, count to 10, count our blessings, take a walk in the other guy's shoes, realize that patience is a virtue, not get our khakis in a bunch, bury the hatchet, remember that laughter is the universal language, forgive our neighbor, reach out and touch someone, rotate your tires and dance like an egyptian.
Walk like an Egyptian.

Ay oh, whey oh, ay oh, whey oh...
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 01:33 PM

Can you even see us down here from that high in the air?
Fine, thanks.

Keep dancing (or walking like an Egyptian, as the case may be).
- Thomas Paine

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 01:33 PM

Needlessly Harsh, but Fairâ„¢ would be more accurate.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 01:34 PM

Needlessly Harsh, but Fairâ„¢ would be more accurate.
Sledgehammers have their uses too, you know.
- Thomas Paine

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 01:35 PM

Maybe if I had seen you put it down once this entire summer.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 01:37 PM

Maybe if I had seen you put it down this entire summer.
I was very nice to that one guy, when his kitty died.
- Thomas Paine

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 01:39 PM

Good. I used to like your posts Stein, but every time I check them now all I find is you bitching at someone.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 01:39 PM

And in closing:

See you in the croc pit on the other side Steve, you're one hell of a guy.

Love ya man.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 01:40 PM

Good. I used to like your posts Stein, but every time I check them now all I find is you bitching at someone.
There's a lot of ground to cover.

Edit: I'll be happy when I can lay the `hammer to rest.
- Thomas Paine

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 01:42 PM

It's internet, and seriously, you're being wasted doing it.

Leave it to someone like Kevin who seems to find meaning in doing it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2006, 01:43 PM

All this thread really needed to be was a conversation about a man's life being lost doing the thing that he loved best.

Maybe my family is just out of their minds, but I've been raised believing it's disrespectful, despicable even, to say such horrible things about someone who has died, especially just after they've passed.

If Steve Irwin didn't take risks and get closer than other people were willing to in order to show people that some animals are not mindless killers, then none of us here would have ever heard of him, nor would we have seen the footage that he provided for the world.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 01:43 PM

WRONG. WRONG. WRONG.

He was working on a documentary and in particular on a segment on great white sharks called Ocean's Deadliest...but guess what? The weather was bad and he couldn't work on that particular documentary so he decided INSTEAD to do a segment for his 8-year old daughter's television show airing on Animal Planet in a few months that is supposed to be about "friendly and happy" animals in the world. It's for little kids.

And as for anyone wondering why the thread has become one where people are ticked off it's because *some* people took an opportunity to make fun of and ridicule a dead man and his family.

Sometimes "sorry" isn't enough.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Sometimes "sorry" isn't enough.

No, no, Cody, I'll accept a "sorry".

Hence, the "but fair" part of my sig.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 01:48 PM

It's internet, and seriously, you're being wasted doing it.
But it was never this bad before.

These people were trolling about a decent and caring person who died doing what he loved.

Shame on them.
- Thomas Paine

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 01:52 PM

Okay, MacNStein.

If you say to let it go I will.

Forum Links
Forum Rules