Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > airport dropouts

airport dropouts
simonjames
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2008, 04:23 AM

I am having problems recently with my airport connections. They drop out anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes. To get the connection back I turn off the airport from the menu bar (on my powerbook) - wait 2 seconds and then turn it back on

I have a PB 17" 10.5.2 with an airport express using WPA on a unique channel to my neighbours and using firmware 6.3

In the Airport Utility log every 5 seconds I get the message
Admininstrative access denied to fe80:::20d:93ff:fe8a:e23e%mirror0/5197-

How do I stop this problem? Constant resetting is a real pain. I haver changed the channel 4 times now with no improvement.

I have tried searching the forums for a like problem but as soon as I search on the word airport I get all the posts of anyone who has their full config in their sig
this sig intentionally left blank

Cold Warrior
Apr 26, 2008, 12:01 PM

Try turning off IPv6. Network settings > Airport > Advanced... > TCP/IP > Configure IPv6: Off.

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2008, 07:03 PM

Cold Warrior - thanks for the advice. I've turned IPv6 and restarted - problem still exists. The error message has changed slightly to be my Airport assigned IP address.

Jan 02 02:01:27 Severity:3 Administrative access denied to ::ffff:192.168.1.3/49183.
Jan 02 02:01:33 Severity:3 Administrative access denied to ::ffff:192.168.1.3/49183.
Jan 02 02:01:39 Severity:5 Disassociated with station 00:11:24:bc:4d:b3 (leaving service set).
Jan 02 02:01:40 Severity:5 Rotated TKIP group key.
Jan 02 02:01:51 Severity:5 Associated with station 00:11:24:bc:4d:b3
Jan 02 02:01:51 Severity:5 Installed unicast CCMP key for supplicant 00:11:24:bc:4d:b3
Jan 02 02:01:56 Severity:3 Administrative access denied to ::ffff:192.168.1.3/49183.

I've googled this error message and found a large number of Mac People are affected - so far I haven't found a fix to this. Some people have tried uninstalling firmware updates and reverting to 10.5.1 - not sure how successful they've been.

Any ideas as to when 10.5.3 will be out? Am hoping that this update will fix the problem.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2008, 07:18 PM

A client of mine has the same problem with her router, except after about two hours. It affected my machine, as well, while I was there.

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 12:01 AM

I read on another board to install a previous firmware into the airport with instructions in this apple support doco.

I went back one version from 6.3 to 6.2 - same problem

went back a further version to 6.1.1 - couldn't get the airport utility to load the config file from the airport and the airport wouldn't work at all

I am now on ethernet cable and guess what? the problem continues. to reset I have to change location in the network config and then go back and all works fine (just like turning airport off on previously)

I am thinking of doing a re-install of 10.5.1 and not coming anywhere near 10.5.2

I would suggest not reverting airport firmware - it has left me with a useless device. I have done a hard reset with no luck.

Any suggestions?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 28, 2008, 08:28 AM

Are you certain this isn't a problem with your ISP and/or your broadband modem? If you're having the issue with a wired connection, it certainly doesn't have anything to do with the usual wireless issues. Maybe the connection itself is dropping out and your reconnection via your AirPort card causes your modem to reconnect. The first thing to do is to unplug the power to your modem and leave it that way for several minutes, then plug it back in and let it reconnect. If your problem goes away, you have proven that the problem was the modem. If that doesn't fix it, your ISP has some explaining to do.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules