Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iCloud question

iCloud question
Thorzdad
Mar 31, 2022, 08:29 AM

If I sign out of iCloud on my iMac, does it also sign me out on all my other devices, or is the signout device-specific? I've always been confused about that, and Apple doesn't seem to make it clear in anything I've been able to reference.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2022, 03:29 PM

I understand it as device specific.

If you do a password reset there’s an option to log out all your devices (or it does that automatically… I forget).

Thorzdad  (op)
Mar 31, 2022, 04:16 PM

It’s an option.

I got an alert from Apple this morning that someone was trying to login to my Apple account. So, after clicking Deny, I went and changed my AppleID password, and I clicked the Log Out All button. The deluge of 2FA code prompts I immediately started receiving was fun.

I use a very old iMac running very old MacOS (10.9), and, apparently, those 6-digit popups you get when you try to login to the iTunes Store don’t work in that old of a system. Anyway, I never got any code popup on the iMac, despite Apple text-bombing me with codes to use. I never could find a way to enter those codes on my iMac, but I was able to use iTunes Store

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2022, 07:40 PM

This happened to me recently.

It turned out it was myself logging in, but Apple didn’t give me the warning until 48 hours later, so I had completely forgotten about it by then.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 1, 2022, 08:15 AM

In my case, the alert said the login attempt was from Japan. Pretty sure it wasn’t me, unfortunately lol.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2022, 08:35 AM

If you can’t get that iMac back on iCloud, you may actually have some luck with tech support. I’m sure someone there would be jazzed to get an actual zinger like that rather than the typical PEBKAC.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 1, 2022, 12:36 PM

Oh, I never wanted the iMac on iCloud in the first place. In fact, for ages I got the dreaded multiple “cannot login to iCloud” popups constantly. I never actually disconnected it thanks to that evil “If you log out of iCloud, everything on iCloud will be deleted from this Mac” message.

This wholly unrelated password change just nudged me to log the iMac out of iCloud, too, once I confirmed that I have zero stored in iCloud anyway.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2022, 07:23 PM

Ah, gotcha. Silver lining!

Forum Links
Forum Rules