Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone getting into VR?

Anyone getting into VR?
MacNNFamous
Senior User
Dec 3, 2021, 12:11 PM

I picked up a PSVR a few years ago, man, it has blown me away. Driving games, climbing games, fighting a 1:1 dragon in skyrim, firewall zero hour with a real AIM controller and blind firing around corners, it's just insane.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 3, 2021, 03:16 PM

Have an Oculus Quest 2. From what I've seen, the games are expensive, especially for the short gameplay and low replayability. I played Dirt with my driving seat/wheel and it was more nauseating than it was useful or cool. I'd like to try Half Life: Alyx, but again it's pricey and I don't feel like blasting away $60 on a whim that might leave me nauseated after every session.

MacNNFamous  (op)
Senior User
Dec 4, 2021, 02:47 AM

Have to get VR legs. I could only play 15 min at a time when I first had it. Now I can play for hours. Also, Dirt has a ton of settings, mess with the elevation settings, I know one way makes me feel terrible and the other is 100% fine.

You need to find something you can play in short bursts, sort of consistently for a few weeks.

andi*pandi
Dec 7, 2021, 12:51 PM

We got an oculus last year for christmas and it's basically just sat in its box.

MacNNFamous  (op)
Senior User
Dec 7, 2021, 09:50 PM

I'd say send it my way but I can't afford a graphics card to run that stuff on a desktop lol.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 8, 2021, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
I'd say send it my way but I can't afford a graphics card to run that stuff on a desktop lol.
Mine works on the Mac Pro with an RX580.

MacNNFamous  (op)
Senior User
Dec 10, 2021, 11:50 AM

What do those go for these days? I quit looking at videocards when my Radeon 7970 from 2015 was worth a hundred dollars more than I paid for it (last year)

reader50
Administrator
Dec 10, 2021, 01:52 PM

HD7970 $400-500
RX580 $400-600

I could make a tidy profit selling my video cards. But then my computers would run terribly, and be noisy. So far, it's remained a temptation.

But when I got my RX580 on sale for $170, i really wish I'd picked up 10 and socked them away.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2021, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
But when I got my RX580 on sale for $170, i really wish I'd picked up 10 and socked them away.
Yeah mine was $190 in 2018.

The MacPro is just a heat pump in the basement now, I really need to sell it while it's still worth anything as an actual machine and not just an antique.

MacNNFamous  (op)
Senior User
Dec 10, 2021, 04:00 PM

With the M1 out I cannot imagine it's worth anything anymore, even upgraded.

That said, the value is the decent processor and massive internal storage bays, so ... still worth using to me. For now. M1 is on the radar for a replacement, really hope they make a mini mac pro or something.

MacNNFamous  (op)
Senior User
Dec 17, 2021, 12:59 PM

So one other thing... beat farpoint, but in the cut scenes your POV switches from character to character, and suddenly I was in a woman's body.... looked down... woah, boobs!

I can't help but think VR is going to be a boon for furries and other degens, tbh. You could 'identify' as a gundam, washing machine, mailbox, etc.

Thorzdad
Dec 18, 2021, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
With the M1 out I cannot imagine it's worth anything anymore, even upgraded.
You might be surprised. There are tons of designers/artists/musicians/etc. out there bumping along on middle-aged iMacs and the like, for whom that MacPro would be a substantial, and affordable, upgrade.

Forum Links
Forum Rules