Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD

Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD
F*ckDell
Banned
Jul 30, 2006, 12:16 AM

I'm a huge movie buff and when Best Buy finally got the Westlinghouse with HD-DVD playing, I was there every week just to watch the demo disc. A month or so ago I went back to Best Buy and noticed they finally got Blu-Ray set up on an end cap. To tell you the truth, I am not impressed at all. I thought the quality from the blu-ray player was crap compared to HD-DVD. Before seeing the quality, I was all for Blu-Ray. Now I feel HD-DVD is the format for movies, Blu-Ray for data storage.

What do you guys think? Have you guys seen Blu-Ray and HD-DVD? How about HD (1080p) ever on iTunes??

lesman
Jul 30, 2006, 12:57 AM

I totally agree with you about the quality of Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD.

The first time I saw the HD-DVD player, I had to go back again and again to see it....the Blu-Ray player was much less than impressive. It did not impress me at all, in fact.

Blu-Ray=
HD-DVD=
This land is your land...SO GET CLEANIN'!!!

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 01:08 AM

I've yet to see any HD players on display (though I'm curious). Were they the same movies on both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray? Were the TVs the same? I don't trust stores like BestBuy when judging TVs because generally they are terribly configured and are displaying hideous low quality video. In this case there are so many variables... maybe one of the players was using a different video connection, or the movie wasn't properly mastered for HD. I would want to know if the setups were exactly the same before comparing formats.

What kinds of encoding technologies does each format use? If it was the same, then Blu-ray should theoretically win since it has larger storage size = less compression needed.
( Last edited by Apfhex; Jul 30, 2006 at 01:14 AM. )
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

F*ckDell  (op)
Banned
Jul 30, 2006, 08:07 AM

That would be true if Blu-Ray was using a double layer (50gb) disc, but as of right now there is only single layer (25gb) discs out and being used. HD-DVDs are double layer (30 gb) so that could be the difference. The bit rate is different due to the size problems. My worry is if there is such a big difference between of formats with only 5 gbs, how are things going to look when Blu-ray comes out with 50 gb, and HD-DVD release their triple layer 45 gb....

Westlinghouse + HD-DVD = "want it now"
Samsung + Blu-ray = "pixels pixels pixels"

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 05:12 PM

Ah, I didn't know that. Still, like you say, that shouldn't account for a large quality difference. I feel like investigating for myself—but the fact remains that I'm not going to touch either format with a long stick until there's a clear victor (or until hybrid players come out, which I see happening if neither format can "win").
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules