Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Little black box

Little black box
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2011, 05:12 PM

So, I'm home today and the FedEx guy shows up at my door. He hands me a smallish package, it's from AmEx. I open it and there's a black box inside the larger brown box, and in the black box is a nice black leather card wallet with a thin piece of black, anodized titanium in it. Lots of spiffy paperwork and booklets in there too.

Wow. Not really sure what to do with this, looks cool though. I guess I could throw it at people, like a swanky ninja star.

Who else here has gotten such a strange package from the AmEx peoples?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2011, 05:20 PM

Not I. The CC companies hate me* (since I zero immediately).

(* Back of the queue, boys)
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Not I. The CC companies hate me* (since I zero immediately).

(* Back of the queue, boys)
I do too, but we put almost everything we buy on AmEx, so the amount we charged to those cards last year was almost obscene.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2011, 05:41 PM

I put everything I buy on my card and I don't even have enough for DEN-SEA flight

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I put everything I buy on my card and I don't even have enough for DEN-SEA flight
You have AmEx regular? How much did you charge?
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Feb 7, 2011, 06:18 PM

Costco is the only reason I've considered an AmEx. Enough other cards to keep track of.

My subaru card does give me some nice checks once in a while though.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2011, 06:23 PM

I have yet to find a card that beats Amex Cash Blue in cash back.
5% on gas, groceries and pharamcay is just great. Everything else is 1.5% (once you spend over $6,500 / year).

-t

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2011, 06:40 PM

I just think it's neat. I called my personal agent to ask what wine goes best with pheasant. She told me to try a Chilean Syrah, but then I confessed that I was just goofing off to see if she'd answer the question. She laughed and told me that it's not even the strangest request she'd had today.
- Thomas Paine

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2011, 06:51 PM

Did you get the Centurion?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I just think it's neat. I called my personal agent to ask what wine goes best with pheasant. She told me to try a Chilean Syrah, but then I confessed that I was just goofing off to see if she'd answer the question. She laughed and told me that it's not even the strangest request she'd had today.
"What wine goes best with five expensive hookers & suitcase of blow? My name is Charlie"
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2011, 07:58 PM

Who else here has gotten such a strange package from the AmEx peoples?
I wouldn't boast about it if I did. It's considered tacky (or used to be) to boast about how much money one has, or to discuss one's personal finances with others.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2011, 08:06 PM

Pics or it didn't happen?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
I wouldn't boast about it if I did. It's considered tacky (or used to be) to boast about how much money one has, or to discuss one's personal finances with others.
Boasting is still not cool, but discussing personal finances is definitely not taboo like it used to be. In fact, it's all the rage. They even have apps that let you tweet every purchase you make.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2011, 09:41 PM

There's a lot of upwardly mobile young people with tons of disposable income to thank for that, methinks.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2011, 10:26 PM

Hopefully they won't all feel they need to brag about their personal net worth in public.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 7, 2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Hopefully they won't all feel they need to brag about their personal net worth in public.
What do you think a Mercedes is (in the US, at least)?
( Last edited by Laminar; Feb 7, 2011 at 10:52 PM. )

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2011, 11:03 PM

Huh. So, I get a Centurion card, check here to see if anyone else has gotten one, and people complain that I'm boasting? Damn, you people are just too uptight. It's only money, relax. Anyway, I've really wanted one ever since I first saw it in the wild a few years ago. I figure with it I won't miss my assistant as much, and since we're doing so much traveling it'll make that more fun. The perks are just insane and it should pay for itself rather easily. Not to mention up to 3 years of extended warranty on things purchased with it.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2011, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
What do you think a Mercedes is (in the US, at least)?
Everyone should drive a Hyundai or Focus, didn't you know? It's a sin to own something that shows wealth, and if you do you need to be shy about it and apologize.

"No, really, sorry about the Rolex, it was tacky of me to wear it to the grocery store. I'll just drop it into my pocket and we can just forget this whole nasty business."
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 7, 2011, 11:16 PM

Everyone should drive a Hyundai or Focus, didn't you know? It's a sin to own something that shows wealth, and if you do you need to be shy about it and apologize.
Nothing against expensive cars. Thomas Stanley did some interesting research and found that people that need others to recognize their wealth are most likely to drive a Mercedes.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2011, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Nothing against expensive cars. Thomas Stanley did some interesting research and found that people that need others to recognize their wealth are most likely to drive a Mercedes.
Ugh, I usually can't stand a Merc, just so vanilla. It's like saying, "Hey, I have some money but I really didn't know what to buy". Now an AMG, that's different story. Still not a great value when it comes to performance cars, though. Right now I'm on the hunt for a nice used Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder.
- Thomas Paine

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2011, 11:29 PM

Ugh, I usually can't stand a Merc, just so vanilla. It's like saying, "Hey, I have some money but I really didn't know what to buy". Now an AMG, that's different story. Still not a great value when it comes to performance cars, though. Right now I'm on the hunt for a nice used Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder.
I just came.. But seriously, lambopower.com is a great Lamborghini community.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2011, 11:42 PM

Right now I'm on the hunt for a nice used Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder.
You can achieve the same experience by tipping some meths on yourself and setting it alight.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2011, 11:51 PM

You can achieve the same experience by tipping some meths on yourself and setting it alight.
I know! I took one for a drive and it was insane. They're more fun than a person should be allowed to have while wearing their trousers.
Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
I just came.. But seriously, lambopower.com is a great Lamborghini community.
I'll check it out, thanks.
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 12:22 AM

Was there any sex involved?

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
"What wine goes best with five expensive hookers & suitcase of blow? My name is Charlie"
No, no, you call and they know who you are. "Hello, Mr. Sheen, how can I make your day better?"
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Was there any sex involved?
Quit trying to pollute my thread. Take your filthy mind and go elsewhere.
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 04:48 AM

No, no, you call and they know who you are. "Hello, Mr. Sheen, how can I make your day better?"
Next up, the Amex "Clear" - where you don't even have to bother calling them and things happen anyway.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2011, 05:17 AM

Did you get the Centurion?
That was (going to be) my question as well; the laser-etched titanium Centurion “no limit” card… , good for him.

dav
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2011, 08:16 AM

happy for you Shaddim, that's pretty cool
one post closer to five stars

FireWire
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2011, 12:02 PM

Centurion Card Annual Fees

United States US$ 2,500 + One-time joining fee of US$ 5,000

Holy!!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2011, 12:05 PM

$2,500?! I don't even make that in a year!

andi*pandi
Feb 8, 2011, 01:02 PM

I guess Shaddim's not using this card at Costco.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I guess Shaddim's not using this card at Costco.
I don't have a Costco near me. I wish I did. We do buy a lot of things at Sam's though, and that's pretty similar.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Centurion Card Annual Fees

United States US$ 2,500 + One-time joining fee of US$ 5,000

Holy!!
That's not bad considering what you get. Honestly, I don't see how AmEx makes any money off of it, if people take advantage of the perks. They must rely on people to just forget what they can do, and hope the customer charges most of their purchases to it.
- Thomas Paine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2011, 09:17 AM

Shit, I thought that you were going public with your kinky experience.

What a letdown.

hayesk
Feb 9, 2011, 11:26 AM

If it's just for the purpose of showing wealth, then well, yes, it is tacky. If you have an appreciation for the build quality or feature set of the item, then it isn't. After all, we all use Macs here - some consider that as a luxury item.

"No, really, sorry about the Rolex, it was tacky of me to wear it to the grocery store. I'll just drop it into my pocket and we can just forget this whole nasty business."
Well, if you wore the Rolex because you like the design and quality of the Rolex, there's nothing wrong with it. If you wore the Rolex to tell everyone that you can afford a Rolex, well, in my opinion, there is something wrong with that.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
If it's just for the purpose of showing wealth, then well, yes, it is tacky. If you have an appreciation for the build quality or feature set of the item, then it isn't. After all, we all use Macs here - some consider that as a luxury item.
Well, appreciating the build quality usually goes hand in hand with "showing off", you want others to appreciate it too. We may say that we buy our beloved Apple products because they work better, or because we like the fit and finish, but it doesn't hurt that they're a status symbol and we see them used by stars and people of influence. Otherwise, just rub off the Apple logo or cover it up, doesn't really matter, does it?
Well, if you wore the Rolex because you like the design and quality of the Rolex, there's nothing wrong with it. If you wore the Rolex to tell everyone that you can afford a Rolex, well, in my opinion, there is something wrong with that.
Not really. If people who have such items will be honest about it, they like how people react when they're seen with those things. People wear jewelry to stand out, other items do the same thing. A prime example is clothing. While it's true that I really like the way True Religion and Versace jeans fit, often Levi's and Wranglers fit just as well. We like being seen in this stuff because we believe it makes us look impressive and because the brand is attention-grabbing. Example, let's say you need to borrow a suit from someone who is a similar size. There are two that fit just as well, look nice, and are made from similar materials, one is an Armani the other is something like Kenneth Cole. What do you choose? While that scenario is unlikely, who wouldn't prefer to roll in an Armani? Some people will say that it doesn't matter to them, but personally I think they're full of crap.
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Shit, I thought that you were going public with your kinky experience.
I did go public in a different forum, but let's not discuss it in this thread.
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 01:45 PM

Displays of wealth don't impress or interest me, I'm far more impressed with knowing and/or seeing that somebody built something cool.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2011, 01:59 PM

Displays of wealth don't impress or interest me, I'm far more impressed with knowing and/or seeing that somebody did something kinky
Fixinated
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 02:01 PM

Well, that's true too, but I don't think that Shaddim could come up with something kinky that he did that would surprise me. I've thought of it all.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2011, 02:11 PM

Well, that's true too, but I don't think that Shaddim could come up with something kinky that he did that would surprise me. I've thought of it all.
Even using a pulley system?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 02:30 PM

You might have me there.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 02:43 PM

Doesn't everyone have a block and tackle system in their bedroom?
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 02:57 PM

Only *ONE* pulley system ? Amateurs.

Here's how it goes down in Shaddim land:

Shaddim (calling Amex Centurion)

Amex Rep: Hello, Mr. Shaddim. How are you doing today ?
Shaddim: Splendid.
Amex Rep: What kind of pulley system can I get you TODAY ?

-t

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 04:53 PM

Even the McDonalds hot apple pie trick?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 05:18 PM

Even the McDonalds hot apple pie trick?

Oh yeah... That's just like the American Pie apple pie trick, unless this is different in the Buckingham Palace area?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2011, 06:36 PM

Oh yeah... That's just like the American Pie apple pie trick, unless this is different in the Buckingham Palace area?
In the Buckingham Palace area, using corgis is all the rage.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 9, 2011, 06:54 PM

Countdown to thread lockage... 5....4....3....

Can we get back on the "luxury credit card" subject please? Corgis and apple pies aren't really on topic...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 07:22 PM

You really can't take these turds anywhere. I'd like for this to be about luxury cards, or even material excess, but the usual suspects are running away with things... again.
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2011, 08:41 PM

Dicks.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2011, 09:40 PM

Pulley systems are all the rage here in south Georgia. Bungie cords and plungers are a thing of the past!

Here's a visual:

That IS what she said!

Forum Links
Forum Rules