Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 4S

View Poll Results: How do you feel about iPhone 4S
Poll Options:
Bummed, will stick with what I have 6 votes (11.11%)
Bummed, but I will get it anyways 8 votes (14.81%)
Looks cool, but I am not getting it 15 votes (27.78%)
Happy, and I am getting one! 25 votes (46.30%)
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll
iPhone 4S (Page 2)
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2011, 04:50 AM

By using the term meme, and based on the way it uses the panel format, it strongly indicates to me that this is the finale of a running internal geek Internet joke. It's okay not to get it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2011, 05:36 AM

No, I'm aware of the meme, and there's a number of really funny ones out there (including the "remember how I said netbooks were just cheap, slow, crappy laptops? - I fixed the cheap part" one).

This one is just pffft.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
If touching (as the last panel with Gates' face would indicate), then it's just completely superfluous and stupid in the face of the ACTUAL statement already made by Gates.
In my mind, I separate real Bill Gates from meme Bill Gates.

(my favorite is "remember when we were poor?")

Cold Warrior
Oct 7, 2011, 09:20 AM

Did anyone get up to try and order it? The Apple Store was down for some time after the planned start time, and when it did come up, it wouldn't go through all of the ordering pages. I gave up and tried again 5 hours later, early this morning local time, and it worked great. Didn't even get out of bed -- ordered using the iPhone Apple Store app. It took all of 3 minutes. I'm not extremely excited about it, but my wife is going from a 3GS to a 4S, so I wanted to ensure I'd get one for delivery on the 14th.

But then I saw Apple isn't selling the unlocked 4S yet. That stinks but at least it gives us time to offload the at&t 4S, unopened too, and put the money towards an unlocked one.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Did anyone get up to try and order it? The Apple Store was down for some time after the planned start time, and when it did come up, it wouldn't go through all of the ordering pages. I gave up and tried again 5 hours later, early this morning local time, and it worked great. Didn't even get out of bed -- ordered using the iPhone Apple Store app. It took all of 3 minutes. I'm not extremely excited about it, but my wife is going from a 3GS to a 4S, so I wanted to ensure I'd get one for delivery on the 14th.

But then I saw Apple isn't selling the unlocked 4S yet. That stinks but at least it gives us time to offload the at&t 4S, unopened too, and put the money towards an unlocked one.
Given the conservative design of the 4S (the only new component is the software), you'll see that there will be no shortage and zero demand for an overpriced scalped iPhone in the AT&T market.

-Q-
Oct 7, 2011, 10:00 AM

A work colleague ordered one when he woke up (about 6AM ET) and had no trouble at all. Has a 32GB 4S to be delivered next week. He said the order process was as smooth as it could be.

-Q-
Oct 7, 2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Given the conservative design of the 4S (the only new component is the software), you'll see that there will be no shortage and zero demand for an overpriced scalped iPhone in the AT&T market.
The faster processor (that also extends battery life based on improved energy efficiency), the antenna system, use of HSDPA for data transfer, and the new camera dispute your assertion of no new hardware components.

Cold Warrior
Oct 7, 2011, 11:07 AM

Some people have to have the latest and perhaps some of them would pay for an unopened one at $400 instead of at&t's early upgrade $450. Or if something like gevy sim is confirmed to work, they may prefer to pay less than the factory unlocked $650.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 11:22 AM

?? Only software ?? - Hardware Upgrades:

• Double the RAM

• Double the processor

• 8 MP Camera, improved optics

• 1080P Video with video stabilization

• Up to 64 GB flash storage
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2011, 12:00 PM

Plus Siri runs only on the 4S and hardware or software, if it works as shown its going to be effing cool.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 12:07 PM

Yeah it is.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
In my mind, I separate real Bill Gates from meme Bill Gates.

(my favorite is "remember when we were poor?")
That one was really funny.

Do you think this one is even slightly humorous?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
?? Only software ?? - Hardware Upgrades:

• Double the RAM

• Double the processor

• 8 MP Camera, improved optics

• 1080P Video with video stabilization

• Up to 64 GB flash storage
• 7x the graphics power

• auto-switching antennae, even during calls, for optimum reception

I'd be interested in what the Godfather's agenda is; he's been smack-talking the iPhone "5" since long before anything was announced.

I don't know if he's desperately trying to justify not being able to get one just yet, of if there's some other motivation at work.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 01:18 PM

I don't know if he's desperately trying to justify not being able to get one just yet, of if there's some other motivation at work.
Probably just wants the stock to dip so he can buy some more.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2011, 01:48 PM

What I meant by "no new hardware" is that all individual components in the 4S are proven, no-longer exotic parts or paints that can be sourced by Tim with no problem, thus eliminating the chance of a manufacturing problem, thus no scalping opportunities.

If I had caved into the pre-ordering craze, I would immediately cancel it. And reconsider when I see a decent review by a non-fanboy: CR or another reputable source, and have a certainty that my most often used apps are optimized for the A5 and makes a difference.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2011, 01:55 PM

Probably just wants the stock to dip so he can buy some more.
My recommendation for post-Jobs AAPL is sell. I don't plan to buy.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 04:14 PM

I've seen that meme probably about 30 different times and always get a chuckle out of it.

And seeing Gate's face in the last one reminds me of his actual statement, which makes it more touching.

But hey, I'm South African.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 04:51 PM

The meme will never die!!!!!

Probably didn't need to use the spoiler tag, just keeping with tradition.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 05:30 PM

If I had caved into the pre-ordering craze, I would immediately cancel it. And reconsider when I see a decent review by a non-fanboy: CR or another reputable source, and have a certainty that my most often used apps are optimized for the A5 and makes a difference.
That sounds like the advice I give about version upgrades. I wonder why I am so intent on jumping on the bleeding edge of new phone hardware? It does n o t make sense.

-Allen

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2011, 07:48 PM

Wait, are you using the Chewbacca defence to justify your new iPhone?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2011, 08:36 PM

That one was really funny.

Do you think this one is even slightly humorous?
Not really. Most of its score is for being a relatively successful "metameme", as well as being surprisingly poignant for a meme.

It is much less so than Gates' actual statement, but I really read it as a statement by the author rather than Gates.

I think the first one blowing so hard helped too.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Wait, are you using the Chewbacca defence to justify your new iPhone?
Well I could not afford Johnny Cochran so I had to do my best.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 11:33 PM

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2011, 03:06 PM

Ha! Guess what? Don't sell your Apple stock yet!

Pre-sales of 'disappointing' iPhone 4S fail to disappoint

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 03:21 PM

That noise was The Godfather dropping a roll of coins.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Ha! Guess what? Don't sell your Apple stock yet!

Pre-sales of 'disappointing' iPhone 4S fail to disappoint
I did my pre-order at an AT&T Store on Fr. at 10:30 am.
My "wait" time was given as 2-3 weeks.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 04:41 PM

I ordered mine by phone through T-Mobile at 11:15 a.m., CET (which is what, 5:15 a.m. Eastern?). The order went through without a hitch. When I called them later for a different issue, they told me that the phone was now backordered, but that mine should arrive on or around the 14th.

*fingers crossed*

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2011, 04:42 PM

Yeah, AT&T sold 200,000 in the first 24 hours, and Apple are sold out. "The best selling iPhone yet!"

Makes you wonder if all the press Apple got from SJ had something to do with it. Don't mean to be a d*ck, but I am sure that considering SJ and Apple were on almost every website, and some magazines are doing special features on him; Apple is really in the public's eyes right now.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 04:45 PM

Very, very, very much doubt it.

This is just the completely normal phenomenon of all the "underwhelmed" geeks and industry pundits just being completely ****ing clueless about what motivates ordinary humans. Same as with every Apple product release since late 2007.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2011, 04:52 PM

Yup.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2011, 04:58 PM

My point was not that SJ passing sold the iPhones. Apple and iPhones sold the iPhones.

It's more that all the general public went "hang on, there is a new iPhone" in a lot shorter time period than usual because of all the media around Apple right now. Case in point: I had two women who work with me say to me "wow, Steve Jobs died..." and then ten minutes later, after reading about it on the net "hey, there's a new iPhone?" Sure, they would have found out anyways. Just there is a lot more public attention on Apple right now, and that is hard to deny.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2011, 04:58 PM

For those who ordered: 16, 32 or 64?
45/47

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 05:05 PM

^ 64, white

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
Just there is a lot more public attention on Apple right now, and that is hard to deny.
That's for sure.

I don't think they would have sold out any less quickly had he hung on for a while longer, though.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
For those who ordered: 16, 32 or 64?
64MB

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
64MB
Cute. How are you going to sync your contacts, though, once you have all twelve of your mp3s on there?

Counting on iCloud?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2011, 05:21 PM

64 GB, black. I like the white but prefer the Q-ship nature of the black one. White means 4s and IMO will be a theft magnet.

-Allen

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 05:28 PM

White means 4s
The iPhone 4 has been available in white for quite some time now.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 05:37 PM

Cute. How are you going to sync your contacts, though, once you have all twelve of your mp3s on there?

Counting on iCloud?
Streaming all the way, including contacts

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2011, 09:39 PM

I won't be getting one much before christmas by the looks of it and I have no idea which size it will be. If I get the choice, I might have a white one, just for a change. On the plus side, I won't be paying for it.

I have a Kerio Connect server so I use that to do Activesync Exchange accounts on iOS.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 11:29 PM

How about...

"Meh, I'm not that impressed but I ordered one anyway."
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2011, 06:47 AM

My actual response is "everyone who bought the 4 is on contract. Anything too drool worthy pisses off the entire current userbase".

Blame AT&****ingT.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2011, 09:02 AM

Keeping the design for two years makes perfect sense. You have your people with lots of money who will just buy whatever is newest because they can. Apple loves them but they are easy to please because newer is always better. Then you have the people who upgraded to to the 3G because it was a worthy upgrade over the original but skipped the 3GS because it looks the same from distance or in a case and was only an under the hood upgrade. They can keep up appearances and wait for their contract to expire when the new shape iPhone 4 comes out. They then skip the 4S because it looks the same and they will be pleased when their contracts expire again for the iPhone 5.
Then you have people who skipped the 3G and bought the 3GS because their original contract expired and now they can get a 4S and feel ok about it because it has several improvements over the 4.

Everybody wins.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2011, 09:11 AM

Exactly. Everybody Wins.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2011, 04:29 PM

Apple's strategy is absolutely brilliant: they've now got 3 price points, namely the 3GS for free, the 4 for $99, the 4S starting at $199. Here's an excellent discussion of the strategy:

The Apple iPhone 4S letdown: Why it doesn't matter | Apple Talk - CNET News

Apple is trying to pull in people who normally just go with a plain vanilla phone. Naturally, the smartphone connoisseurs are going to be disappointed if they don't see a new and sexy form-factor, but Apple knows that these people already have an iPhone. The people Apple really wants to go after are those who don't have a smartphone yet--as well as those who are astute enough to see the vast improvements under the hood of the 4S.

Here's a quote from the article:

"Furthermore, this isn't new behavior from Apple. The company does not radically change its computers every year. As we've seen with the unibody MacBook Pro and iMac, it's worked out pretty well to tweak some things, add a new port and make adjustments to carry a product through its lifetime, eventually working towards a major overhaul."

Forum Links
Forum Rules