Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Linguistics Question For Tooki or Oisín

Linguistics Question For Tooki or Oisín
dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2005, 10:59 PM

I am taking a general linguistics class this semester and I am really hung up on Transformational grammar and phrase structure rules/analysis. Would you recommend a basic book that I could use to understand this better? I don't need something super in-depth, just something that covers the basics and explains the major ideas of transformational grammar along with outlining some of the more commonly used phrase structure rules. We are making the phrase structure trees and I am totally stumped on the "Passive" rule for creating a deep structure tree. ANY help would be very much appreciated on my part. Thanks!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2005, 07:15 AM

Eeks. Sorry, I really have no clue. I've yet to have any 'formal training' in linguistics (next semester!), so I don't know anything about what books to get or not to get...

Tooki's probably a better bet, I'd say, since he's already been through the whole university linguistics class thing

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 23, 2005, 10:07 AM

Oi. I don't really know, either -- syntax isn't really the area that interests me all that much!

The thing about transformational grammar is that it's now considered outdated, having been abandoned by Chomsky and replaced with his minimalist approach. The only textbook I even found on BN.com about transformational grammar is one 15 years old by the same author I reference below.

Of course, in syntax anything Chomsky invented is pretty much what most people today are teaching. But I found it pretty much impossible to wrap my brain around Chomsky's ideas -- the guy's either a genius or a lunatic. Maybe both. I'm not sure...

This is the book I used in syntax: Syntax: a minimalist introduction. But I really had a hard time understanding it, frankly. Also, the same author has a newer text since then.

My best suggestion is to talk to the prof after class. If that one isn't helpful, find a different linguistics prof who might be able to explain it differently.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 23, 2005, 10:09 AM

P.S. Check your school library to see if they have any textbooks on syntax (generically). Some of those might have something useful in them.

P.P.S. What textbook are you using now?

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2005, 01:02 PM

Thanks, Tooki. This is the book we have been using. Like I said it is a general class but I am stumped on the whole syntax section.

I wasn't planning on buying anything. I figured I would look in the library for one of your recommendations. I just wanted to be pointed in the right direction instead of wading through all the available books.

I'll see what I can come up with at the library. But if either of you think of a recommendation keep me in mind.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules