Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > memory for 17" imac g4 1ghz?

memory for 17" imac g4 1ghz?
ph0ust
Senior User
Jul 25, 2005, 07:03 PM

hi all. until recently, i assumed that when i bought more ram for my imac a few years ago i upgraded it with a 1gb stick, so that total would be 1.5gb. apparently, no dice.... i have a stock stick of 512mb and i added another 512mb. i am wondering if this is causing any of my tiger issues (fan NEVER turns off and the thing is damn slow since i did a fresh install of tiger (from jaguar)).

anyway, i wanted to get a 1gb stick or maybe even 2 1gb sticks (one to replace the included ram). upon searching on crucial and other places it seems that no one recommends more than a total of 1gb of ram. crucial indicates the max for this system is 1gb total.

is this the case?!?! i can't imagine it is, so any help would be appreciated. thanks!

skirbomatic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2005, 01:39 AM

I have the identical computer. When released, the maximum recommended ram was 512mb per slot (remember that this was in February 2003). You can now buy a 1gb stick per slot and should not have a problem. You can purchase quality memory from several vendors. Here's one link:

http://www.transintl.com/store/categ...estTimeOut=500

You only need to use PC2100 memory for this computer, tho I am using a PC2700 chip in the SODIMM slot.

My computer never runs hot. My fan rarely kicks on. What speed memory are you using? If you use a PC2100 chip in the DIMM slot there should never be an overheating problem.
"The older I grow the more I distrust the
familiar doctrine that age brings
wisdom" - H. L. Mencken

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Aug 7, 2005, 04:40 PM

strangely, i didn't notice a response on this.... sorry for not replying

thanks for reminding me about memory "back in the day"... forgot the 1gb sticks were rare/nonexistant back then. i checked my system profile and have two 512mg sticks:

DIMM0/J22 512mb ddr sdram pc2700u-25330
DIMM1/J20 512mb ddr sdram pc2100u-25330

so i assume that dimm0 is the aftermarket stick i bought since it is running at pc2700... sound right? perhaps a new 1gb stick would help with the problems i am running into- since i upgraded to tiger the fan won't shut off and i am experiencing serious delays in all operations.

have you, or anyone for that matter, replaced the internal memory with another 1gb stick? i know apple doesn't want us yanking the case apart, but my warranty is obviously way expired...

thanks for any input!

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2005, 08:47 PM

I still recommend that a technician with access to service manuals access the internal memory socket, if the machine isn't put back together correctly, then you'll mess up the cooling system of the machine -- perhaps your initial install of the 512 contributed to the fan-always-on behaviour?
Just to review, the upper (internal) RAM is a 184 pin DIMM, the lower (useraccessible) socket is 200 pin SODIMM.

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2005, 01:34 PM

no the ram install was not the problem with the fan. i installed the secondary stick of ram about 3 years ago. the fan kicked on permanently as soon as i upgraded to tiger less than a month ago.

perhaps i will start out with 1gb stick in the user accessible slot now, and then see if that helps. thanks.

skirbomatic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2005, 04:20 AM

There is a great video tutorial that shows how to safely replace the internal DIMM chip inside a G4 imac. It is on the CD included with the MacWorld issue of July 2003. Perhaps someone will know how you can obtain a copy.
"The older I grow the more I distrust the
familiar doctrine that age brings
wisdom" - H. L. Mencken

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2005, 12:10 PM

I have the same model. My 512MB user-installed RAM is now failing after about 2 years, and need to replace it.

Is it better to use PC2100? My previous RAM was PC2700. It's hard to find PC2100 RAM.

Just to confirm - should be no problem to add a 1GB PC2700 to the existing 256MB PC2100, right?

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 04:30 PM

i had a 512mb pc2700 stick for a while with no problems. when i updated i got a 1gb pc2100 though. you can still find them easy enough i think. i got it at www.800memory.com .

webb3201
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 05:05 PM

Shameless plug, I ordered a 512 mb stick from Coast to Coast last week before upgrading to the latest iMac. It is sitting on my desk in the Fedex envelop (unopened), waiting for someone to take it off my hands. If anyone want a good deal, send me a PM and ill drop it on the truck.

k
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

webb3201
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 05:06 PM

Shameless plug, I ordered a 512 mb stick from Coast to Coast last week before upgrading to the latest iMac. It is sitting on my desk in the Fedex envelop (unopened), waiting for someone to take it off my hands. If anyone want a good deal, send me a PM and ill drop it on the truck.

k

webb3201
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 05:06 PM

k

Forum Links
Forum Rules