Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Password Protected Web Page

Password Protected Web Page
colette23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2005, 07:35 PM

I am looking for a little guidance, please. I am trying to create a password protected page that can hold a fair amount of data (16 case studies in pdf format) that cannot be searched or "googled" and accessed by persons without the password(s).

I am using GoLive to manage my webpages.

Any tips? Ideas?

Should I pay to use a service, or is it possible to create my own.

Thanks for your help!!!
Colette 23

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 28, 2005, 07:57 PM

If you had .mac it would be easy to create a file sharing page that was password protected. Do you have that?

It's $99.00 per year.

---

Html Writer's Guild

This is a good place to start.
I don't think they have a tutorial to encrypt the passwords so if someone views your source code it's not really very secure. You can hide that though, or encrypt it. There are also ways to do that, but I'll let someone else who is much more versed in this to help you.

jersey
Senior User
Sep 28, 2005, 09:33 PM

you should be able to create a .htaccess file and place it in the top directory of your site to achieve password protection.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2005, 12:32 AM

and a robots.txt file to deal with googlebot, etc.

jay3ld
Senior User
Sep 29, 2005, 12:47 AM

you have a few options. there are 2 free options and 1 is easier than the other..

easy way. this will stop bots like google from searching them but allow visitors to view them.

add a robots.txt to your site web root and add

User-agent: *
Disallow: filename
Disallow: /foldername/

example
Code:
User-agent: * Disallow: admin.php Disallow: members.php Disallow: /pdfs/ Disallow: /private/ Disallow: /members/ Disallow: /access/security/

thats the easy way

The Hard way. this will stop bots from searching it and visitors from viewing it...
first is to create a .htaccess file and add this
Code:
AuthType Basic AuthName "Private Access" AuthUserFile /path/to/user/access/.htpasswords Require valid-user
then create a .htpasswords using
name:md5password

theres some online things that will md5 it for you just google it

example
Code:
admin:uHef5tV7yJxy
that is the harder way....

BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2005, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by jay3ld
then create a .htpasswords using
name:md5password

theres some online things that will md5 it for you just google it

example
Code:
admin:uHef5tV7yJxy
that is the harder way....

Can you please point me to "some online things" that will help creat a password? I used to use an excellent page at: http://tech.irt.org/articles/js164/, but haven't been able to access it for weeks. It used to ask you what you wanted the password to be... then select if it should be UNIX and then return the results to put into a "name:md5password" pair.

But, now it's down and I don't know where to look for an online application to do this for me. Let me know!
BD

BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2005, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BoulderDash
Can you please point me to "some online things" that will help creat a password? I used to use an excellent page at: http://tech.irt.org/articles/js164/, but haven't been able to access it for weeks. It used to ask you what you wanted the password to be... then select if it should be UNIX and then return the results to put into a "name:md5password" pair.

But, now it's down and I don't know where to look for an online application to do this for me. Let me know!
BD
Okay,
This worked great for me:

http://www.4webhelp.net/us/password.php

Take it easy,
BD

Forum Links
Forum Rules