Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Import .mbox into Outlook 2011?

Import .mbox into Outlook 2011?
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2012, 02:38 PM

My district decided to "standardize" on Outlook 2011 for Mac. Within the first month we were getting the expected corrupted .pst crap that comes with Outlook. Anyway, that's a different issue altogether.

The problem I've run into is that a few of the teachers (for some reason or another) were on POP instead of IMAP. I need to copy over their POP messages into a folder in Outlook.

Microsoft's directions for importing a .mbox is to: File -> Import -> Information from another application.

The problem is that step 3 doesn't exist. There is no "Information from another application" option. There is a "contacts or messages from a text file," from which I can select MBOX, but then all the .mbox and files therein are grayed out and can't be imported.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2012, 03:56 PM

I don't see the step 3 you assert:

Import .csv or .mbox files

Click File, and then click Import.
Click to select Contact sor messages from a text file, and then click the right arrow
to continue.
Click to select Import Contacts from a tab (CSV) or Import messages from an MBOX- format text file, and then click the right arrow
to continue.
Locate the file, select the file, and then click Import.
Click OK.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2012, 04:40 PM

I was attempting to follow these directions.

My problem with following your directions is that the MOBX is grayed out, and so are the messages inside of it.

cgc
Professional Poster
May 22, 2012, 07:45 PM

I remember using Eudora as an intermediary as it could import mbox into something compatible with Outlook...that was a few years ago (maybe 3). If the older Eudora isn't around (as I be;lieve it was replaced with a rebadged Thunderbird) maybe there's a ThunderBird add-on that could help. Outlook 2011 is very good actually just that single-point-of-failure they call .pst needs fixing.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2012, 01:38 PM

Well, I wasn't smoking crack. I knew I had done it before. Looks like Microsoft disabled the feature in the latest service pack for Office. Apparently 10.7 encrypts even POP mailboxes so Outlook can't import them. For some reason Microsoft disabled the entire feature instead of just warning people that it doesn't work with 10.7.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2012, 02:26 PM

You could always set the IMAP account up in Mail, import the boxes into Mail and then wait for it to sync them back to the server.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2012, 04:12 PM

I just went the other direction (e.g. imported email from Outlook 2011 to Mail.app) and it's way easier than I thought:

1. Go to Outlook 2011 (sp1) and click-drag all folders you want to import to the desktop (I put them all in the same folder on the desktop)
2. Go to Mail.app and import other .mbox
3. That's it, seems with the sp1 update MS added mbox support

I tried dragging and dropping messages/folders/etc from Mail.app to Outlook 2011 with to luck and also tried importing an .mbox from the Mail folder.

Forum Links
Forum Rules