Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > It can be bad, but Fox News isn't all bad.

It can be bad, but Fox News isn't all bad.
Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2015, 03:27 AM

Can anyone find fault with this article?

Yale couple flees classroom amid free speech chill | Fox News

Really, I know Fox can be bad, but can you find any coverage this on any other MSM site? It's not on CNN as of this writing, and this was all over MSM when it first went viral.

Is there something wrong with this message? That free speech sometimes offends? It's almost like freedom of speech has been bastardized into some "free from speech" replacement. I'd really like to know where everyone stands on this issue - free speech vs free from offensive speech. Which is more important, and why?

ABC, CNN, BBC and NBC all have a picture of Trump front and center and no mention of this story as I can tell. If this societal problem has gotten so bad, why aren't we talking about it? Does anyone here condone the students' behavior at Yale? Do you think the real world once they leave college will embrace such sentiment to appreciable effect? Would that be a good thing?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2015, 06:25 AM

I found these but I was looking for them. Most coverage seems to be college sites.

Yale’s Unsafe Spaces - The New Yorker

Don't be too quick to judge Yale protesters (Opinion) - CNN.com

The BBC wouldn't consider there to be anything wrong with this I imagine. It seems a segment of your society is minded like most of ours when it comes to free speech and its not so difficult to understand why. Its difficult to defend someones right to an opinion when they are an asshat. Thats not the case here of course, its a ridiculously overblown reaction to almost nothing. I think the professors have a point, though I see nothing wrong with asking the student body to think before they act. Its in part a generational issue, though where you might expect the older generation to be the ones who offend without realising it, its actually they who spent their youths thinking about free speech and its importance where the younger generation have taken it entirely for granted and are basically years less mature than their counterparts were thirty years ago.

As for Fox managing to write a one page article that isn't completely partisan dross, I hesitate to award them a medal for managing to do their job on this rare occasion. Then having watched the embedded video it started autoplaying Bill O'Reilly which reminded me what a complete dick he is.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2015, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Its difficult to defend someones right to an opinion when they are an asshat.
This is a cop-out.

Someone who has difficulty with this doesn't actually believe in the right.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2015, 08:31 AM

Topic related...

Fox News is bad, but not nearly as bad as it's made out to be, while most other outlets are worse than they're made out to be.

I'm not sure you can claim this was buried, though. The NYT did a story on it.

As for Trump, the man is a clickbait machine, so I'm not sure what else we should be expecting the media to do with that.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2015, 08:39 AM

When someone is offended by others words, all I see is immaturity, and shallowness. I tend to avoid and ignore that type of person.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2015, 06:46 PM

Free speech? Not with the collective in charge.

Google Chairman Wants 'Hate-Speech Spell-Checker' to Filter Internet - Breitbart
https://support.google.com/youtube/a..._topic=2803176

Say what the masters want or there will be consequences.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2015, 10:13 PM

Conan O'brien put this together.
45/47

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 8, 2015, 10:34 PM

I was both surprised and impressed that Fox News took on this story. They used video of a crowd of students accosting the prof (or was it her husband, the other prof) and screaming profanities at him/her to make a point. In my opinion, those students are spoiled brats whose "comfort zone" is having everything made just perfect for them, and who are uncomfortable that something may get a little edgy. And this is Yale, a school that I have always thought of as very open minded and pro "thought." I guess I was wrong.

Oh yeah, and this was over "NOT" having strict limits on what students' Halloween costumes could be? WTF?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2015, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
This is a cop-out.

Someone who has difficulty with this doesn't actually believe in the right.
I'm just saying I understand why good people sometimes fall on the wrong side of this.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules