Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > New member here. Okay to add a windoze machine?

New member here. Okay to add a windoze machine?
fran
Baninated
Jun 4, 2006, 10:02 PM

Hello! I joined Team MacNN a few days ago. I was looking for a friendly Mac-focused team for a while now. I've never been part of a team before, but I have been running seti@home for many years, off and on.

1) In addition to several macs, I also have a dell X200 laptop I would like to contribute. Is it okay if I use that too? Or are Windows machines frowned on for use on this team? I haven't been able to get linux to install on it, so I am stuck with XP for now.

2) I just bought a MacBook Pro 17" w/ 2.16ghz and 2gb. It's scary fast compared to my 1.25ghz PowerBook. I'm blown away! Are there any tweeks to make it faster for s@h? I saw something on the beta page, but am not clear (at all) how to use it, and not sure what advantage it will give me.

Here's to a lot of fun!

Erik
Dublin, CA

reader50
Administrator
Jun 5, 2006, 01:53 AM

All computers are welcome here. Well, all computers that you have permission to run clients on. Welcome to the team, and don't be afraid to ask questions, offer help, or kick in opinions. We have a great group of people hanging out here.

I believe we do have recommendations on Win clients for SETI, but I'll leave those to some of our members with experience in that combination. If you don't want to wait until they drop by, check out this thread on optimized SETI clients. It's mostly about Mac clients, but the Win clients get mentioned every once in awhile.

BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 11:48 AM

Yep, in the tread Reader50 points you to go to Page 3 and 1/2 down the page. Look for the post by alexkan (05-29-2006, 11:29 AM), he is our god of optimization (with Rick who is currently MIA bacause of trauma of the end of the school year I think).

There you will see a link to the optimized client. The file ends with ...-ppc-v4.zip. Read the thread for more info on installation.

As for a PC Windows Client the best is put together by Crunch3r, but unfortunately the Berkley ticked him off and he pulled out from SETI, web site, apps and all, just last week. I have a copy of a couple of his last versions (5.12), for P3/AMD Athlon XP - SSE and maybe another, but no permission to redistribute.

Good luck and welcome to Team MacNN.

BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 11:56 AM

Oh, MacBook Pro needs a different cleint than the one spoke of in the PPC Optimized thread. Not sure who may be trying to optimize that, but I have not seen it here though, but I think there was a link to a recompiled version of the Intel version in the first page of the same thread mentioned above, 5th post. Not sure if truely optimized though. Boog is the poster. An optimized version of for Mac/Intel would kick some a*stricks. Maybe do a Google seach for it.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 5, 2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by BTBlomberg
... I have a copy of a couple of his last versions (5.12), for P3/AMD Athlon XP - SSE and maybe another, but no permission to redistribute.
Since the Berkeley code is released under the GPL, any derived code distributed by Crunch3r will also be GPL unless he coded completely from scratch. Include a copy of GPL v2 + the source code and you have redistribution rights.

Unless I missed something important?

Forum Links
Forum Rules