Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Icons missing/ no dragging

Icons missing/ no dragging
Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2003, 04:55 PM

Hi!

Recently two problems have occured with my 10.2.4 system: Some icons have disappeared. I think only dynamically generated icons are affected (Private and Favorites in the toolbar, Documents, Music etc. in the user folder). When I quit the finder and let it restart, they seem to be back again. Also, I can't drag any icons anymore. I can activate with a mouseclick, but dragging doesn't work. Both problems are not user specific. I have already checked the hd and permissions. Any ideas? Thanks!

timmerk
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 04:57 PM

try rebooting, this worked for me

macmike42
Senior User
Mar 2, 2003, 05:07 PM

I'm willing to bet your coreservicesd died, and you'll probably find a crash log in /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/coreservicesd.crash.log.

If anyone knows how to restart this server without restarting the machine, I'd like to know. It is started from /System/Library/StartupItems/AppServices, but the traditional "sudo /System/Library/StartupItems/AppServices/AppServices start" doesn't seem to work.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Taipan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2003, 12:01 AM

Hi!

There is indeed a crash log with that name. I have tried rebooting, of course, and judging from the dates in the log I'd say the process seems to crash immediately every time I reboot. Should I post the log entry (though I doubt that anybody could make any use of it)?

Added: After searching Google for the term "coreservicesd" I found reports of similar problems. One user recommended deleting the icon caches in "/Library/Caches". I trashed the whole directory, and for now it seems to work. Thank you for mentioning coreservicesd!
( Last edited by Taipan; Mar 3, 2003 at 01:17 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules